• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Impossible Puzzle State

SapphireSong

Something's gone awry with my cube. I can solve the bottom two layers as before, but when it comes to the top layer, my usual algs don't work. I've compered the figures with the 57 OLLs in badmephisto.com, but none of them match to the orientations I get. It's like pieces (or stickers) have been switched, even though I could swear that I started with a cube that was intact.

In the pictures you can see an example of the orientation I get. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

IMAG0859.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

rk960925

WCA
2011KIMN01
This sometimes happens to Dayan cubes if you turn it really fast due to their unique shape of corners.
Just turn it so the yellow side is complete!
This is unsolvable parity unless you take the piece out and fix it.
Good luck!

SapphireSong

Thanks for the help guys! I'm still a little baffled how it happened in the first place, as I don't usually cube that fast, but I guess I must have accidentally turned the corner. But now it's fixed :) Thanks!

rdzAdrian

This probably isnt impossible.
So i was practicing 2-look oll, and suddenly this. 1463265081193.jpg
I looked at a site for all oll cases (57 i think i dont remember)i didnt see this one but i might have missed it. This is the third time this happens to me. One time i thought it was because i removed a piece to lube it. I hadnt been solving it completely because i was practicing\learning f2l intuitively and i would just start over halfway through. So The next day i tried solving it and something similar to this happened. I thought the reason this was happening was because i probably misplaced a cube? However Last time this happened i had not taken any pieces off. And this time it just randomly happened after repeatedly doing an oll alg. I try every 7 algs of the 2-look oll algs and they all give me a rare (or impossible) oll case that arent any of the cross olls. (Excuse my english its my second language (

Last edited:
I

IAmEpic2004

To twist a corner, just turn the top layer 45 degrees, then grab the corner with your thumb, index and middle finger. Turn your wrist in the direction that the corner needs to be turned, then turn the top layer back you can continue solving. However, the cube might be too tight. You might need to get an edge out to be able to turn the corner. To do this, you turn the top layer 45 degrees, get your thumb or some flat object underneath an edge that is adjacent to the twisted corner. Pull the edge back and up so it pops out. Then, twist the corner back. To replace the edge, place it so the back of the piece is under the centre cap, and making sure that the layer is still turned 45 degrees, push back on the centre and pop the edge down. Twist the layer back to a cube shape, then continue your solve.

SHB

My nephew got a hold of my megaminx and somehow managed to remove three pieces and my step-sister placed them back into the megaminx but not in the right place. Because of this I can no longer solve my megaminx. I have one corner which regardless of how I rotate it, it will not be orientated properly.

If I solve the blue side of the corner piece, the yellow and green sides of the corner piece are swapped and do not match their face colours. I'm really unsure on what to do and it seems near impossible to orient it the right way but of course it must be possible.

I really do not want to dismantle the whole thing and put it back together but I feel as if that's my only choice.

Thoughts?

xyzzy

I really do not want to dismantle the whole thing and put it back together but I feel as if that's my only choice.
You don't have to dismantle the whole thing. Just remove the edges around the affected corner, pull that corner out, rearrange the caps/parts to fix the colours, then reassemble everything. If it's too difficult to directly remove the edge pieces, try loosening the puzzle first (remove centre caps on the adjacent faces, use a screwdriver to turn the screw anticlockwise).

CubeDad

Hi!
New member here, after no luck in scanning the internet for lots of pages and tutorials.
My 8-year old son is a beginner in cubing, but has slowly started to learn the 3x3x3, and is now able to solve it in minute or so. Nothing remarkable obv in speed, I understand, but he knows how to do it, kind of, and enjoys very much playing with it.
He recently for some reasons wanted to buy a 6x6x6 and did so (yes I understand going through 4x4 and 5x5 would have been wise, but I let the little man have his way), and doesn't have a lot of patience or luck with it.

I know almost nothing about these things, but I helped him to understand he needs to solve the centers first, reduction method and so on, and learned through the table below. It should be noted he doesn't speak English, only Swedish so far, so he has no help of most of the other resources online.
IMG_20200323_215342467 (1).jpg

However he's now completely stuck at the second layer, yellow, with the last center piece seemingly impossible to put in place.

Can someone either confirm that this ISan impossible state (ie he switched stickers), or otherwise help us to get the last yellow center piece in place?!
Driving me crazy.

IMG_20200323_214456902 (1).jpg

(Sorry if this seems like a stupid question to 99% of you. Please have patience with an old man way out of his territory...)

Thank you so much in advance from Stockholm, Sweden!

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_214456902 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200323_214456902 (1).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 2

kubesolver

Premium Member
Yes, there is no way to fix the yellow center without restickering
20ee1df40bba9c4e238f24e505d8b43c.png

Edit: added picture. The stickers in green locations can never move to pink locations and vice-versa.

Last edited: