• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

If you could add ANY WCA event

lerenard

My grandfather wants to see an event where you get a srambled cube and try to make your cube look exactly like it as fast as you can

This is called match the scramble and is part of the weekly competition.

I agree a relay would be fun, either 2-4 or 3-5. Would certain methods become more or less viable?

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Honestly, I would add some type of shape mod. We have all of the cubic puzzles but why not one where you have to know where which shape goes where and how to orient the centers?

Idk, some type of shape mod event seems cool...

Or relays. But they probably wouldn't go for it because I bet that event would take up a lot of time.

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thought solving. the competitor is given a 3x3 scramble, paper and a pencil, and no cube. he/she must write the solution out on the piece of paper. the competitor to submit a correct solution the quickest wins. you could also do a fmc like this i suppose.
however, im not sure that this would fit into a cubing competition. because there isnt a physical puzzle thats being solve... but clock is a thing so i dont see why not ;)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Total BLD mirror blocks. Timer starts, lift the cover, solve the cube, stop timer.

Seppomania would love that.

I'd quite like it myself. I like the 3x3 mods so mirror blocks, master morphix or Fisher cube would suit me.

I'm assuming this is a fantasy thread so arguments are more pointless than usual?

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
thought solving. the competitor is given a 3x3 scramble, paper and a pencil, and no cube. he/she must write the solution out on the piece of paper. the competitor to submit a correct solution the quickest wins. you could also do a fmc like this i suppose.
however, im not sure that this would fit into a cubing competition. because there isnt a physical puzzle thats being solve... but clock is a thing so i dont see why not ;)

That would be basically impossible besides inversing the scramble and just maybe slightly modifying the scramble you have infront of you. And even that, there probably isn't many people who know how to do it (Really good Fewest move solvers, maybe)

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
That would be basically impossible

No it wouldn't. It would take time though. The way I would do it is:

First I would choose 1-2 pieces at the time and track in my mind move by move where those pieces would be if you apply the scramble on solved cube.
Then I would write down the places that pieces end up and start over and choose different piece(s) to track this time.
And just repeat until you have location of all the pieces written down.
(note that it would take me a LONG time and would be very frustrating and irritating :D )

After that it's all easy because now you have the starting state of the cube written down somehow.
Next I would just find a piece that is at my edge buffer position and then go through the cycles from there and translate that to normal 3BLD memo (which I can even write down on paper)
Then just write down a normal BLD solution based on that memo.

Quite easy actually but very time consuming and frustrating :D

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That would be basically impossible besides inversing the scramble and just maybe slightly modifying the scramble you have infront of you. And even that, there probably isn't many people who know how to do it (Really good Fewest move solvers, maybe)

not true. i have done it speed BLD style up to the U layer of corners. LSE DNF though. i spread it out over a few days, but im sure that if i were to work on it i could do this type of thing within a reasonable time.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
No it wouldn't. It would take time though. The way I would do it is:

First I would choose 1-2 pieces at the time and track in my mind move by move where those pieces would be if you apply the scramble on solved cube.
Then I would write down the places that pieces end up and start over and choose different piece(s) to track this time.
And just repeat until you have location of all the pieces written down.
(note that it would take me a LONG time and would be very frustrating and irritating :D )

After that it's all easy because now you have the starting state of the cube written down somehow.
Next I would just find a piece that is at my edge buffer position and then go through the cycles from there and translate that to normal 3BLD memo (which I can even write down on paper)
Then just write down a normal BLD solution based on that memo.

Quite easy actually but very time consuming and frustrating :D

This seems more like a table game you would do with friends between events than an actual official event.

I've never been to a comp though. What do you guys do between events? If my friends come with me to Nats we will probably to team relays or something.

Last edited:

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems more like a table game you would do with friends between events than an actual official event.

I've never been to a comp though. What do you guys do between events? If my friends come with me to Nats we will probably to team relays or something.

one is typically expected to make lame jokes and talk about how much they suck at the event they are about to compete in, even if (especially if) they are going to make it to the final round. kids also want to play with your cubes sometimes...