• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to make a 2x2 first layer in as few moves as possible?

bullahg

WCA
2014GULA02
Hi,

This is my first post here. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to post a thread,:p but I finally figured it out.
So getting right to the point. I recently started to learn CLL on the 2x2 and so far it takes me at least 7-9, maybe more moves just to build the first layer. Sometimes I even have trouble making a layer for the ortega method in under 6 moves. And yes I am colour neutral. I was wondering if someone can give me a few tips or tricks as to how to make the first layer quickly and efficiently. And if it helps I average around 4-5 sec with ortega but I don't practice a lot with the 2x2 so thats why its kinda slow.

Thanks a lot...

bullahg

WCA
2014GULA02
"TDM" and "United Thought", thanks a lot, it really helped. More or less as to what I wanted.
Oh, for example F U2 R' F R2 F R U2. I scrambled this with white on top and green on front. However I get stuck as to which colour to make first and how.

"TDM" and "United Thought", thanks a lot, it really helped. More or less as to what I wanted.
Oh, for example F U2 R' F R2 F R U2. I scrambled this with white on top and green on front. However I get stuck as to which colour to make first and how.

For Ortega you could do x' z U' R2 U R', for CLL you could do z' y R' F R2 U' B2 R2. That's not a very nice scramble, though...

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it strange that many suggest moving from Ortega on to pure CLL. It is much faster imo to only use CLL when an easy layer occurs. At the same time you don't have to reswitch to sides when you learn full EG (not that I have).
The scramble you posted - super easy three-move white side. It's a total waste of time to try to make a layer here, if you ask me.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I find it strange that many suggest moving from Ortega on to pure CLL. It is much faster imo to only use CLL when an easy layer occurs. At the same time you don't have to reswitch to sides when you learn full EG (not that I have).
The scramble you posted - super easy three-move white side. It's a total waste of time to try to make a layer here, if you ask me.

That is why I still think that learning EG-1 before CLL would be smart... I actually tried to do it once but I don't care about 2x2 enough and I hate learning new algs.

But yeah, 6/8 times (or is it 5/8? Well most of the time anyway) the easiest face is adjacent swap so most of the time you can just build the easiest face you can find and use EG-1 as opposed CLL where only 1/8 times the easiest face happens to be a layer...

BboyArchon

WCA
2010OREL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is why I still think that learning EG-1 before CLL would be smart... I actually tried to do it once but I don't care about 2x2 enough and I hate learning new algs.

Same

But yeah, 6/8 times (or is it 5/8? Well most of the time anyway) the easiest face is adjacent swap so most of the time you can just build the easiest face you can find and use EG-1 as opposed CLL where only 1/8 times the easiest face happens to be a layer...

2/3 for adjacent swap and 1/6 for layer and diagonal swap

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
i thought Chris said his layers suck in that video xD

suckiness is relative. chris is god.

@OP, try to think of making a layer as getting the pieces placed in any order one-by-one, two at a time, etc. dont be afraid of inserting two corners at once and finding knew ways to do things. an efficient layer is sort of like an advanced cross. instead of placing cross edges edges one-by-one, you try to influence the next piece. Similarly, try placing corners of a layer while influencing other pieces, or if possible, solving two corners at a time. Slow/untimed solves help