• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2 first layer tricks

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So there are a few threads on this topic but most are old and not touching upon more specifics (at least that I can find).

I use Ortega method and can usually get the first layer set without a problem, but there are a few cases that stump me.

I will often have a bar set on the bottom layer, and another bar on a side face that is vertical. What I usually do is push that bar down to the bottom face which kicks one of the pieces out. Then I do a U2 and insert it into the empty corner. Is this they best way?

The most annoying case is when with one move on any face there is still no way to get a single bar (meaning pieces are all diagonal each other and stay that way with one move). I am sure there is a case by case basis, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks for this.

Are there any other patterns that are easy first layer lags that are easier than what someone would intuitively do?

BrianJ

WCA
2013JOHN10
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the first case, I'm assuming the layer looks like you did F R U R' U' F' to it. *facepalm* And literally right now I realized you can rotate so one bar is in the DL spots, and the other bar is in the LU spots. You can do U' R2' U2 R. If that's now what the case was, then a picture might be helpful.

If there is no bar, then I just look for hidden three move layers by just matching up two bars and placing them together. It can be tricky sometimes, and if nothing shows up, then try to find a situation where there are two of the same colors on the same face, just opposite of each other. If the corners on top are conveniently opposite and not oriented to the top, (U) R2 B(') R2' is what should be done. If that doesn't occur, then even I struggle with this sometimes.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
So there are a few threads on this topic but most are old and not touching upon more specifics (at least that I can find).

I use Ortega method and can usually get the first layer set without a problem, but there are a few cases that stump me.

I will often have a bar set on the bottom layer, and another bar on a side face that is vertical. What I usually do is push that bar down to the bottom face which kicks one of the pieces out. Then I do a U2 and insert it into the empty corner. Is this they best way?

The most annoying case is when with one move on any face there is still no way to get a single bar (meaning pieces are all diagonal each other and stay that way with one move). I am sure there is a case by case basis, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks for this.

Are there any other patterns that are easy first layer lags that are easier than what someone would intuitively do?

For the first case I do it this way, there's also another way and your way is also valid, so whatever you like out of those.

Second case often gets me too, sometimes I find something good in inspection if I inspect hard enough.

You probably already know this one but instead of doing a rotate and 3x3-style insert, this is way cooler.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the first case I do it this way, there's also another way and your way is also valid, so whatever you like out of those.

Second case often gets me too, sometimes I find something good in inspection if I inspect hard enough.

You probably already know this one but instead of doing a rotate and 3x3-style insert, this is way cooler.

That way is so much easier for the two bars.

Ya, I do that insert if I have the last pieces facing up. Thank you. Any other tricks or algs are welcome :)