• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get used to a DIY after three years of storebrought?

Well, I just got a Haiyan's Memory today (And please, no one scream at me "THROW THE MEMORY AND GET A GUHONG!") I am not a very good cuber, and my solves with a storebrought average 50 seconds, though my best is 35 sec non lucky.

The problem is, the cube is much faster than my storebrought. I mean, after playing with the Memory for a while, the storebrought felt as if it were lubed with glue or something. When I attempt to solve the Memory, it just is too fast, and pops occur frequently. But I love the speed when it's not popping. And that's when the cube is at default tension.

So, my Q is, how do I get used to a DIY? I mean, I tried to do M triggers on the Memory (they were undoable on the storebrought) and when I follow up the Ms with Us, I end up turning other layers as well. When I'm performing any alg, I feel as if the cube is going to slip out of control at any time, and have to consciously reduce my speed (although it's still MUCH faster than the storebrought.) When I try to go full out, pops are pretty much guaranteed, as I'll surely try to reverse cut a corner at a large angle.

Are there any tips or specific methods that you guys got used to ur DIYs? Or is it just a matter of time?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I found with the memory it helped to be very gentle with it, as it doesn't take much force at all to move. You'll probably find that your grip will change on the cube so your're more in control and random layers wont turn by themselves... that should happen naturally.. but yeah as Bloody Talon said, go slow and just give it time to get used to it.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tighten the tensions by something like 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn or 1 turn, and then when you are used to it, loosen the tensions. I did that with my Zhanchi after switching from my storebought (it was pretty good after I lubed it with Vaseline for 2-3 months, cleaned it and then lubed it with polish). You'll get used to it in less than a month and then your storebought will be rubbish compared to it. And, if you see some light 'hills' of un-needed plastic on parts on the cube like the corners left by the moulds (you'll see it if it's black plastic; if it's white, then I don't know whether you see it), just sand them off. It will make yor cube a tad smoother and quieter.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Its something that you have to get used to over time.
Kinda like moving into a new house, You wont be 100% comfortable the second you move in, it takes a while to call it your home.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just use it and you'll be fine. It's like asking; "how do I become colour neutral after 3 years of white cross?". Just practice and be patient...sure, bad comparison. Kick me.

Last edited:

skeletonboy

That popping issue is because you are too rough since you are used to using full hand turns on the Storebought. Using fingertricks will make you more gentle, therefore reducing the amount of pops.
And you'll get used in time. As you said, you aren't USED to playing a Memory. Well, the obvious solution is to get used to it. How? The exact same way you got USED to the storebought.

ZeeK

i have a homemade hayan's memory and it doesn't pop. u have to tension it a bit more and evenly then just practice and practice and practice and practice.
And remember to go slow(look ahead) and practice. XD

Thanx for all the replies, people! I'll have to get used to the cube the hard way, no shortcuts. I was surprised that no one in the forums asked this Q, as loads of people have the popping issue, from what I've heard. Well, I'll post when I get used to the thing. This cube takes a lot less force to turn, so a simple U flick ends up being a U and a half! My storebrought feels like rubbish that it really is, now.