• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2l is slow???

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just learned f2l yesterday and I can do it now by memory but it dramatically increases my solve time. I feel like I have to think about what moves I am going to do and I also feel like I'm constantly searching for pieces around the cube. Will I get better over time? How Do you guys know where all the pieces are on the cube so fast? Thanks!

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should learn F2L intuitively. I'm not sure what you average but when I was averaging 40-50 seconds I learned intuitive F2L. I stayed at the 40s range that I was currently at and only started dropping. You really need to practice.

Did you search the forums, or even a google search, of how to get better at F2L before posting here? I'm not trying to take my "wrath" out on you but we all see threads like this countless times.

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6085

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?3688-Edit-How-to-get-faster-test

Last edited:

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It takes the typical person about a month, practicing 1-2 hours a day, to get f2l down to where you feel better at it than with your beginner method. From there you just gotta continue to practice at least 1-2 hours every day and you'll work your way down. At some point you will decide to learn 2-look oll/pll.

bluedasher

It took me about 2 weeks of practice before I saw improvement. Right now the worse thing you can do is to give up on F2L and do LBL just because it is faster at the moment. Once again as everyone says... PRACTICE!

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Yea I don't know who takes a month to figure out F2L but I was dropping time within two days. Watch badmephisto's video over and over until you know it inside and out and then get to it. Don't follow along with your cube just sit down with some popcorn and watch the video a few times.

EricReese

WCA
2010REES02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned F2L after like 2 days of practicing. Of course it was horribly inefficient. And after time I learned how to insert from 3 cases (white corner on top, and R U' R' insertion, and R' U R' insertion). Then after I learned 2look oll and 2Look PLL i learned full PLL. then after that I learned optimal F2L. it took me about 3 days to learn all the cases. My times are just now starting to drop below wwhat they were before. I finished optimal F2L about 4 days ago.

I started speedcubing september 29th. i never started with LBl, i just started with cfop right off the bat

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As i say, throw away your stop watch until uve done like a 100 solves. then see the magic. fyi i m currently making a superb video tutorial on f2l. It will be amazingly easy to recognise and execute all ur moves quickly. it will take me a month or so to make it btw as ive jst started and i can only "shoot" on weekends :p
cheers!

WCA
2010MCDO01
I just learned f2l yesterday and I can do it now by memory but it dramatically increases my solve time. I feel like I have to think about what moves I am going to do and I also feel like I'm constantly searching for pieces around the cube. Will I get better over time? How Do you guys know where all the pieces are on the cube so fast? Thanks!

You are being really impatient man, just chill, and practise. results arent instant, you will get slower, then faster

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i think stefan huber said it best.
Don't be concerned with how many solves you do or anything like that.
Just solve because you want to.

my advice...
I'm not touching a timer until 2011... you should do the same lol
just keep solving and exploring F2L tricks and don't be concerned with your time for a while
just enjoy it... after a week or more do an ave of 12.
i think you will be surprised with your progress when you don't force things

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You shouldn't be timing yourself with F2L when you first learn it. Give yourself 2-4 weeks before your F2L times start matching your beginner method times. I'm learning full OLL but I can't use it in solves yet. I'm thinking I need about a month of practice before I start recognizing cases and applying algorithms fast enough.

JL58

What is really important is:
- to identify a corner-edge pair to assemble,
- mentally figure out what are the moves you need to put the pair in an "insertable" position (through RUR', RU'R' or R'FRF')
- execute the pair positioning and insert it without looking at it
- identify the next pair as your fingers insert the current one (the infamous and difficult look-ahead)

Three things to add:
- with practice you will start to acquire muscle memory for many given pair configuration
- you will also learn how to do this from any 4 angles, not just the Right-Front location
- at some point you should also look at some EO (edge orientation) discussions, that will guide you on minimizing the number of cube rotation (re-grip) you need to do.

You should also aim at 7 moves in average for the cross and each of the pairs, at total of 35 moves for F2L.

Last and most important: when learning F2L it is not about the time you achieve. It is about the number of rotations you can in a row without stopping or slowing. Even if you start at 3 seconds per rotation and finish F2L without missing a beat you are on the right track. Then slowly try to increase your tps (turn per second rate). Day after day. Week after week. Or if you're like me, month after month :eek: The cross should be part of the process, as you should it entirely from memory (after inspection) as you look for your first pair and anticipate where it will be at the end of the cross.

Don't worry, your time will improve. Good luck.