• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Do I need a better speedcube?

Levurmion

I started cubing 3 weeks ago, currently averaging at about 1 min 5 s. When I began, I just picked a random cube from a random website. I didn't know what it was other than its brand being MoYu. The merchant was rather ambiguous but I didn't care because I thought that all cubes were pretty similar. I was averaging 2 min 30s back then with a friend's cube and so thought that I didn't need a really good cube.

Turns out, I got a Weilong V1. A pretty ancient one. Out of the box, I didn't know what to expect cuz I was and still am a beginner. It felt fine until I started realizing how much it was locking up everytime I tried to speed up my algs. I tried loosening the tensions and lubing it but even doing the sexy move was a pain. My fingers would slip in between the pieces all the time. I tightened it again and the locking returned.

The corners have twisted on me several times and the center caps just kept on flying away during H and Z perms. I feel that the cube is just too soft, buttery and flimsy for my liking. I tried a friend's 2x2 YJ Yupo and I loved the feel of it, thinking of getting one that feels more sturdy and airy, a bit sandier and light.

So, should I get a new cube or should I stay with my Weilong? If so, which one? Thx

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know there are plenty of threads out there that
1. You can find the answer to this question yourself
2. A better place to ask any more related questions you have.
3. People would prefer for you to use so that a million new threads aren't created that become quite a mess.

Believe me, there are hundreds of new cubers just like you wanting to know what cube to buy. So I'd advise you to use the search bar with something like... Which puzzle should I get? Or The puzzle choice thread or something like that

Levurmion

You know there are plenty of threads out there that
1. You can find the answer to this question yourself
2. A better place to ask any more related questions you have.
3. People would prefer for you to use so that a million new threads aren't created that become quite a mess.

Believe me, there are hundreds of new cubers just like you wanting to know what cube to buy. So I'd advise you to use the search bar with something like... Which puzzle should I get? Or The puzzle choice thread or something like that
I'm just trying to troubleshoot my problems. I don't know if it's my fingers or the cube. Reviews of the Weilong seem to be saying that it's a good one but I can't find the definition to "a good cube". Everyone kept on saying that it's up to personal preferrence. I don't know how "a good cube" really feels like hands-on and neither do anyone that I know in person. Thus, I don't even know my personal preferrence because this is my first cube, ever. I don't have anything to compare this to. Not much, at least.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just trying to troubleshoot my problems. I don't know if it's my fingers or the cube. Reviews of the Weilong seem to be saying that it's a good one but I can't find the definition to "a good cube". Everyone kept on saying that it's up to personal preferrence. I don't know how "a good cube" really feels like hands-on and neither do anyone that I know in person. Thus, I don't even know my personal preferrence because this is my first cube, ever. I don't have anything to compare this to. Not much, at least.
Keep it as a collectable. Never get rid of your first cube. But get a new cube. I recommend the MF3RS since it doesn't corner twist very easily, it has excellent performance, but it's only $5! The stickerless shades are great, even in dim lighting.

phreaker

Depends on your budget, to be honest. I don't like assuming "New cuber, cheap cube." Get a good cube you have confidence in. Never feel your cube is holding you back. Life is too short for bad cubes ;).

mDiPalma

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Weilong. That is a very modern cube with very good characteristics.

Cubers have been getting sub10 times on much "worse" cubes for a long time.

Consider Giovanni Contardi whose best official average was set in 2011 on an Alpha V, even though he has competed many times more recently with "better" hardware:

I would recommend you try getting used to turning your cube more smoothly. Just 3 weeks of practice isn't enough for that.