• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Curvy Copter Discussion(New)

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
This might prove to be very useful, but for our weekly competition we are using the icon set from the WCA (I am adding icons as we add non-official events), and they must be in SVG format. Do you have this in SVG format? Also, they need to match the general dimensions of the others in the set, based on a 500 x 500 grid. You can check the others out on github:
https://github.com/cubing/icons
https://www41.online-convert.com/dl/web2/download-file/0ac17ebf-f79a-4f67-9a99-577e36af7037/F27D5C40-F0E1-464A-92AA-D10032330011.svg

Here you go. @Mike Hughey please download it ASAP since I use a online conversion service.

Sion

This might prove to be very useful, but for our weekly competition we are using the icon set from the WCA (I am adding icons as we add non-official events), and they must be in SVG format. Do you have this in SVG format? Also, they need to match the general dimensions of the others in the set, based on a 500 x 500 grid. You can check the others out on github:
https://github.com/cubing/icons

Hi! I can do this later today :)

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
I guess I didn't get to it quickly enough:
"The file maximum downloads has been reached"

Sorry about that. Also I must admit that I probably will not have time to get it submitted to the WCA anytime soon; I would probably not get to that until it became an event in our weekly competition (if that indeed happens, which I hope will happen, but we have to wait and see how the voting turns out). If you would like to get it done faster, you could contact jfly about the possibility of submitting a pull request, and see what he says.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
I guess I didn't get to it quickly enough:
"The file maximum downloads has been reached"
Thatt’s all right:) I’ll do a more formal one after a couple days.
you could contact jfly about the possibility of submitting a pull request, and see what he says.
Ehh, what do you mean by that? I am not quite sure since I don’t use GitHub much.

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
Ehh, what do you mean by that? I am not quite sure since I don’t use GitHub much.
If you're in no hurry, don't worry about it. I'll try to get to it when I do new events at the end of the year. Even if curvy copter doesn't make it in, I can go ahead and submit it when I submit any others.

But if you want it in sooner than I can get to it, you'll need to learn about doing a pull request and submit it for possible inclusion, and wait for them to review it and make comments to improve it to meet their standards before they actually add it. And you should definitely contact jfly before you do any of that, to make sure you have permission before doing so.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
If you're in no hurry, don't worry about it. I'll try to get to it when I do new events at the end of the year. Even if curvy copter doesn't make it in, I can go ahead and submit it when I submit any others.

But if you want it in sooner than I can get to it, you'll need to learn about doing a pull request and submit it for possible inclusion, and wait for them to review it and make comments to improve it to meet their standards before they actually add it. And you should definitely contact jfly before you do any of that, to make sure you have permission before doing so.
Ok. Thanks for the information!

kadabrium

I know very little about this puzzle and have never solved one. Just by looking at it, it looks like a 8-axis expansion of the mastermorphix, but retaining the 4-fold cutting around each of them, instead of increasing alongside, like for example a megaminx is to a 3x3 cube. My question here is really what its face turning equivalent would look like? Theres no simple platonic polygon with 4 edges per face and 3 faces per corner.

going down that road i think for example a redi cube (which i dont have either) is also the 8 axis expansion of a pyraminx. Is it possible to solve the redicube "layer by layer" starting from one turning center and building around that, like a megaminx? my experience with the pyraminx suggest on the latter it is only not possible/not distinct from the regular method because the tetragon has both too few sides to maneuver pieces around, and also a unique symmetry not found in other platonic polygons in that its has no parallel faces but the face centers have the same symmetry as the corners.

WCA
2018OLSE04
I know very little about this puzzle and have never solved one. Just by looking at it, it looks like a 8-axis expansion of the mastermorphix, but retaining the 4-fold cutting around each of them, instead of increasing alongside, like for example a megaminx is to a 3x3 cube. My question here is really what its face turning equivalent would look like? Theres no simple platonic polygon with 4 edges per face and 3 faces per corner.
The face-turning equivalent of a edge-turning cube is a rhombic dodecahedron.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
I found a couple problems to discuss about:
  • Fingertricks: For face turning puzzles, you can do flicks, for skewb, you can do sledges, what about curvy copter? I played with the idea a couple days but still have no clue to a universal fingertrick.

• Jumble effects: Everyone knows that using RedKB's method(where I am sure 90+% people use), you have to deal with jumble effects in every step(unlike sq-1 where this all ONLY leads to a parity in the end). This not only SUCKS but also made alg making extremely difficult(F2L,TLL). So, I was thinking about if it's possible to shove all pieces back to it's orbit before the solution begins (after getting it back to cubeshape). The only similar idea I can think of is ZZ(correct me if I am wrong since I don't know ZZ much). Is this possible or not?

OreKehStrah

I found a couple problems to discuss about:
  • Fingertricks: For face turning puzzles, you can do flicks, for skewb, you can do sledges, what about curvy copter? I played with the idea a couple days but still have no clue to a universal fingertrick.

• Jumble effects: Everyone knows that using RedKB's method(where I am sure 90+% people use), you have to deal with jumble effects in every step(unlike sq-1 where this all ONLY leads to a parity in the end). This not only SUCKS but also made alg making extremely difficult(F2L,TLL). So, I was thinking about if it's possible to shove all pieces back to it's orbit before the solution begins (after getting it back to cubeshape). The only similar idea I can think of is ZZ(correct me if I am wrong since I don't know ZZ much). Is this possible or not?
It’s certainly not ideal but the way I’m starting to try turning the last layer algs at least is but not turning the edges. This seems like a completely idiotic statement at first. However, I hold the edge, and turn the puzzle with the other hand. So it lets you flow between turning adjacent sides pretty well. It does get awkward when you need to turn two sides together though. Still working on fingertricks. Also Idk about jumbling. I’ve never done any of it as I knew it would complicate methodology and scramblers, etc.

OreKehStrah

It’s certainly not ideal but the way I’m starting to try turning the last layer algs at least is but not turning the edges. This seems like a completely idiotic statement at first. However, I hold the edge, and turn the puzzle with the other hand. So it lets you flow between turning adjacent sides pretty well. It does get awkward when you need to turn two sides together though. Still working on fingertricks. Also Idk about jumbling. I’ve never done any of it as I knew it would complicate methodology and scramblers, etc.
I’m sure there is a way to do some sort of tracing like with CSP or something. It would be difficult to get fast though. Because you would have to consider how many edges are flipped, then track for a certain amount of side colors how many petals are in spots they normally wouldn’t reach, if that is even possible to do visually.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
PapaSmurf Cubes
You'd have to blind trace the centers and see what orbit they're in. It's not necessarily the best or easiest and is definitely harder than CSP. Instead, just fix it throughout the solve. I don't think it should be something to be "scared of" and is much more easily fixed than parity on squan.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
This may be a stupid question, depending on the answer. My curvy copter has been scrambled for a while, now I’ve got it back to two corners swapped but oriented, and one edge flipped. This feels like it shouldn’t be a solvable position, but I’m not sure. Do I need to solve it with jumbling, or disassemble the puzzle?image.jpg

WCA
2018OLSE04
This may be a stupid question, depending on the answer. My curvy copter has been scrambled for a while, now I’ve got it back to two corners swapped but oriented, and one edge flipped. This feels like it shouldn’t be a solvable position, but I’m not sure. Do I need to solve it with jumbling, or disassemble the puzzle?View attachment 10795
This can be solved with only simple jumbling. The only requirement for a state to be solvable with only non-jumbling moves that is not currently satisfied is that the parity of the center permutation in each orbit should mach the parity of the number of flipped edges along that orbit. This can be fixed with simple UR+ LF+ UF UR- LF- type moves.