• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubers you should have heard of

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will submit some names.

David Singmaster

The first person to do a deep mathematical analysis of the 3x3 in 1980.

Dan Brown (aka Pogobat)

Got millions (via Youtube) to solve a 3x3 for the first time.

And finally, all the people (too many to list here) who put out books to solve the 3x3 in the early 1980's. Way before the internet age and the digital era.

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
Haiyan Zhuang: work as an IBM programmer. leading character of 3*3BLD. break AsR and then WR again and again just after less than 1 year's BLD practising. He's UWR online was sub25, and frequently sub30 on our cubers parties:)
Mike Hughey: First 7*7 BLD solver on youtube. The only people who solves from 2*2 to 7*7BLD. Awesome man in memorisation.
Jiang Tong: made a sub70 3*3BLD solve just after 4 months' learning rubik's cube and broke Multi BLD WR 3 months later with 15 solves in 52:01.

Last edited:

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haiyan Zhuang: work as an IBM programmer. leading character of 3*3BLD. break AsR and then WR again and again just after less than 1 year's BLD practising. He's UWR online was sub25, and frequently sub30 on our cubers parties:)
Mike Hughey: First 7*7 BLD solver on youtube. The only people who solves from 2*2 to 7*7 BLD. Awesome man in memorisation.
Jiang Tong: made a sub70 3*3BLD solve just after 4 months' learning rubik's cube and broke Multi BLD WR 3 months later with 15 solves in 52:01.

fixed

Last edited:

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like the exaggerated use of "fixed"-posts. You're not supposed to edit a quote. But if you're gonna make one, at least put the modified part in bold. It took me three read-throughs before I saw it. And it wasn't really needed. Everyone knows that he was talking about BLD.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like the exaggerated use of "fixed"-posts. You're not supposed to edit a quote. But if you're gonna make one, at least put the modified part in bold. It took me three read-throughs before I saw it. And it wasn't really needed. Everyone knows that he was talking about BLD.
Sorry I did use bold... or thought i did.
I blame it on my crappy computer.

And it doesnt matter if people knew or not it needed to be in there, other wise they looks like they're just saying he was the first to do a 2*2-7*7 marathon.

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. The word "first" wasn't even in that sentence. And people know that Mike isn't the only who can do marathons...(István too :p)

Disregard the last part, it's just a joke. Funny because Istvan runs marathons as well as solving huge cubes BLD.

SimonWestlund

WCA
2008WEST02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike Hughey: First 7*7 BLD solver on youtube. The only people who solves from 2*2 to 7*7 BLD. Awesome man in memorisation.

fixed

Fixed. ;)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
No. The word "first" wasn't even in that sentence. And people know that Mike isn't the only who can do marathons...(István too :p)

Disregard the last part, it's just a joke. Funny because Istvan runs marathons as well as solving huge cubes BLD.

I don't actually run marathons. I'm too old - I'm afraid it will destroy my knees. I've done a couple of 5K's before, but that's my limit. And I certainly have never run any kind of footrace while wearing a cube costume, unlike a certain other BLD solver. :)

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19

fixed

Fixed. ;)

Fixed myself's:cool:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Jess Bonde
Frank Morris
Dror Vomberg

Jess just did one competition, he got the WR single but that's it as fas as I know. I don't know if he contributed otherwise.

Frank Morris came up in the discussion. But if we take him, we should also take Badie and perhaps also Beest.

Dror could be on the list. Write a couple of lines about him if you want to.

I think I read somewhere that (back in the day) Jess Bonde's webpage had the best LL algorithms. Not entirely sure about that, but Jess Bonde always comes to mind when I think of WC03.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Dror's contributions, only his achievements. Perhaps someone like Chris would be better off writing this one.

Lukasz Cialon should also get a mention. He's been extremely dominant in 2x2 since he started back in 2005, getting the ER at his first competition, then winning WC07 and getting the WR numerous times. He also changed perceptions about the layer+CLL method. Before people realized that was all he did, CLL was thought of as not being worth the number of algs. I've always thought of him as sort of the father of 2x2 solving.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lukasz Cialon should also get a mention. He's been extremely dominant in 2x2 since he started back in 2005, getting the ER at his first competition, then winning WC07 and getting the WR numerous times. He also changed perceptions about the layer+CLL method. Before people realized that was all he did, CLL was thought of as not being worth the number of algs. I've always thought of him as sort of the father of 2x2 solving.

And now I know about 100 for 2x2 and I still don't consider that half as much as I should/need :rolleyes:
^also, seconded.

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I don't actually run marathons. I'm too old - I'm afraid it will destroy my knees. I've done a couple of 5K's before, but that's my limit. And I certainly have never run any kind of footrace while wearing a cube costume, unlike a certain other BLD solver. :)

Hmm, I might have used some bad wording there. When I said "as well" I didn't mean that you also did it, I meant that he both solves big cubes and run. All tough it's funny that it's almost true for you too.

When I come to think about it I also enjoy running. But only short distances about 3-5 km. That might be the equivalent of 4x4BLD, which I enjoy the most. Perhaps one needs too be stubborn and never give up to succeed in both running and BCBLD (Big Cubes BLD).

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm afraid I don't know much about Dror's contributions, only his achievements. Perhaps someone like Chris would be better off writing this one.

Although many people supported and inspired me to learn to BLD solve, and to improve, Dror was by far my single biggest inspiration. I would love to write up something about him, though give me a little bit of time to make it somewhat good rather than just typed up quickly. I'll just make a reply post it in this thread with the text once I'm done.

Chris