• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm using edge, and I can't copy the popup scrambles... Can't even highlight them. Maybe it's a browser problem? I don't have firefox/chrome on my computer so I can't check.
Perhaps it is browser-related. I can't seem to do it from Microsoft Edge either. But Firefox works fine.

I will put it on my list of things to investigate. I fear that they may have made it so that element isn't supposed to allow copy-paste, and maybe Firefox is still allowing it. A pity if so; I rather liked the way that dialog looked for something so easy to generate.

I'm curious what it does in Chrome.

xyzzy

Perhaps it is browser-related. I can't seem to do it from Microsoft Edge either. But Firefox works fine.

I will put it on my list of things to investigate. I fear that they may have made it so that element isn't supposed to allow copy-paste, and maybe Firefox is still allowing it. A pity if so; I rather liked the way that dialog looked for something so easy to generate.

I'm curious what it does in Chrome.
It's just window.alert, isn't it?

Chrome doesn't allow copying from it either. Firefox does allow copying, for now, but given their propensity to imitate Chrome's bad decisions, who knows how long that will last.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is weird. I'm using Firefox - I'm not sure what you're using - but I am able to copy and paste the scrambles from that pop-up. I'm curious why you're not able to.

Just an example I just now copied and pasted from that pop-up:
Clock week 2022-32:

1. UR4- DR3- DL0+ UL4- U2- R5- D5- L1+ ALL3- y2 U3+ R1- D5- L3- ALL0+ UR DL UL
2. UR4+ DR2- DL4- UL0+ U2- R2- D5+ L0+ ALL1- y2 U2- R4- D4+ L1- ALL2+ DL
3. UR3+ DR0+ DL2- UL2- U5+ R3- D4- L6+ ALL4+ y2 U6+ R1- D4+ L1+ ALL6+ UR DR DL UL
4. UR0+ DR5- DL4- UL3+ U1- R2- D5- L5- ALL5- y2 U4- R4+ D2- L4+ ALL2- DL
5. UR1- DR2- DL6+ UL3- U4+ R5- D4- L2+ ALL5+ y2 U1- R6+ D5+ L4+ ALL4+ UR DL UL
I'm using Chrome so that may be where the problem is coming in. I'm able to take a screenshot of it, but not copy-paste it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm using Chrome so that may be where the problem is coming in. I'm able to take a screenshot of it, but not copy-paste it.
xyzzy is correct; there are places which document this limitation in Chrome and Edge. I will try to promote it to a full-fledged normal dialog someday, and perhaps also provide a copy button so you don't have to select it. In the meantime, I apologize for the inconvenience.

SenorJuan

Though it's been mentioned before, I am also finding the abundance of 'progression threads' on the front page irritating. The fact they are on the front page presumably means someone finds them of interest ... but their high profile seems to encourage every other newcomer to create their own 'progression' thread, to 'join the club'. Stop the tsunami.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that a good addition to the site would be to tell you when someone posted something. When I googled "Speedcubers in Adelaide" a post came up but everybody there had joined in 2009 or before so I was pretty sure it was not recent but I had no way to know. Thank you for reading this!
Each post has a date in the top left corner.

Screenshot 2022-10-02 9.42.12 PM.png

You can also use the page selection at the bottom of the screen to go to the newest post and see if the thread is still active. Some groups were made in 2009 and died out in 2010, but some are still active today.
Screenshot 2022-10-02 9.47.06 PM.png

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whenever I try to search anything, I'm always greeted by the same, "The following words were not included in your search because they were too long, too short, or too common: should, i, get" when I search up "Which cube should I get?" for example.

This filters out the useful search results that we need and clutters it with anything containing the words "which" and "cube." I just want to find a topic and often that topic will have words like "X", "I", "A", or "KB" (as in White KB), but everything useful gets filtered out. Could whatever code is causing that to happen be removed to potentially allow for a better search?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Whenever I try to search anything, I'm always greeted by the same, "The following words were not included in your search because they were too long, too short, or too common: should, i, get" when I search up "Which cube should I get?" for example.

This filters out the useful search results that we need and clutters it with anything containing the words "which" and "cube." I just want to find a topic and often that topic will have words like "X", "I", "A", or "KB" (as in White KB), but everything useful gets filtered out. Could whatever code is causing that to happen be removed to potentially allow for a better search?
The warning still shows now, but the results include all queries. Let me know if they return better results and if you can find what you're looking for.

When you guys search, does the current search engine work well or do you always have a hard time finding what you want?

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
The warning still shows now, but the results include all queries. Let me know if they return better results and if you can find what you're looking for.

When you guys search, does the current search engine work well or do you always have a hard time finding what you want?
Usually works for me pretty good! 👍

Reactions: pjk

Imsoosm

Hi pjk, not sure if this is a problem on my side, but here is what it shows when I search:
1666869878942.png
And if I search for threads posted by a member (the find threads button), this shows up:
1666869917513.png
It might just be a bug on my side, but I wanted to make sure, so can you take a look?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Hi pjk, not sure if this is a problem on my side, but here is what it shows when I search:
View attachment 21038
And if I search for threads posted by a member (the find threads button), this shows up:
View attachment 21039
It might just be a bug on my side, but I wanted to make sure, so can you take a look?
What browser are you using? The results show up for me fine - can you clear cache and see if the issue persists:
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 6.39.56 PM.png

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
would it be possible to install this plugin that shows the record of online users at the same time?

on the speedsolving community of Brazil there was a time when we decided to access the forum at the same time to break the record

I think if would be fun and it would be a good publicity to the forum

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
would it be possible to install this plugin that shows the record of online users at the same time?

on the speedsolving community of Brazil there was a time when we decided to access the forum at the same time to break the record

I think if would be fun and it would be a good publicity to the forum
For sure! Finding a good time would be important

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
One change I would love is when you post in a thread it doesn’t make you auto follow it. Maybe instead a screen comes up asking you if you want to follow the thread instead. Also starting a keyboard timer on comps with the control keys would be nice to encourage people without a stackmat to not hold the cube.

It’d be annoying to have to manually select to follow a thread every single time you post in a thread for the first time, especially since I usually want to follow threads I post in. The current system of having the ability to manually follow/unfollow but automatically following a thread when posting in it is the best option imo

Last edited:

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It’d be annoying to have to manually select to follow a thread every single time you post in a thread for the first time, especially since I usually want to follow threads I post in. The current system of having the ability to manually follow/unfollow but automatically following a thread when posting in it is the beat option imo
Assuming your typo is meant to say “best” or “better” I agree. It’s quite simple unfollow and chances are you’re posting in a thread to engage in discussion so auto-following it is reasonable.