• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Color Neutral: Yes, No, Tried and Quit, Never Tried

This is terrible advice. CN is all about chosing the optimal cross solution, not picking specific color before you even look at the scramble
I disagree because this gets you used to the colour so after you’re used to it you can then do solves where you look for the best solution
This is the method I used to learn, i did a few hundred solves on each cross colour and basically banned myself from solving on white cross for a while, because my aim wasn’t to get pbs on these colours it was to average the same i averaged on white, and then i started practicing with unlimited inspection so i could learn to look for the best solution and now i do it automatically and a lot faster

Puzzlerr

i'm becoming duel neutral (is that what's its called?) and its going pretty good, i average a little bit slower though. I am color neutral on 2x2 and pyra obviously

uhhh the thing is im not trying to be colour neutral or m i quitting to be colour neutral like i jus do CN solves when i feel like it so yeah 😂

Just a discussion to see who is or isn't color neutral; who tried and quit, who has never tried and doesn't care to learn.

Did you switch or have you always been CN?

If you switched, do you feel like you gained quite a bit?

If you didn't switch or gave it up, are you pretty happy without it?

No shame in leaving it behind if you feel like your time was better spent building up other areas, that inspection time is better without it.

This is not meant to argue whether one way is better than the other, just wondering.

Is anyone in the middle of learning and how do you feel about it?

I personally had put it off because every time I've tried it I wasn't happy with the results. It felt weird and awkward. I wasn't getting that rush I got from "whizing" through a solve.

I'm trying again and I'll just have to see how it goes. I think many enjoy cubing so much and are happy on one or two colors, that doing anything that seems to pull away from that is too much of a distraction.

There are some top cubers who aren't CN.

I think it's a personal decision and neither way is more or less correct than the other. We don't perceive the world in exactly the same way, and what works for one may not be what works for another.
Nope, Never

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
I want to be dual CN (white/yellow), but because I average 13 now, it's hard to not immediately start inspecting white. Then in F2L, my brain wants to look at white pieces while I'm doing yellow pairs which screws with my lookahead. Plus, the colour scheme for the side colours on yellow is the other way round, which means I often put pairs in the wrong slot or end up with a 2 edges swapped cross.
Of course, these are all things I can work on and I'm sure it'll work out with time.

5.1pyrso

WCA
2016SING01
I've tried becoming CN a lot of times, with cfop, with roux, on 4x4 with yau (most recently), and have quit equal amount of times. I guess it's just because i can't stick to being significantly slower than I am for an extended period of time even though I know I'll be faster at the end. I've mostly given up on it now, dual CN is fine for me since I don't cube that much anymore.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to be dual CN (white/yellow), but because I average 13 now, it's hard to not immediately start inspecting white. Then in F2L, my brain wants to look at white pieces while I'm doing yellow pairs which screws with my lookahead. Plus, the colour scheme for the side colours on yellow is the other way round, which means I often put pairs in the wrong slot or end up with a 2 edges swapped cross.
Of course, these are all things I can work on and I'm sure it'll work out with time.
If you have a stickerless cube, try swapping yellow and white. That way if you focus into the white pieces you practice a normal cube’s yellow F2L, or if you do yellow, you’ll have familiar F2L.

UPCHAN

WCA
2022FERN18
not color neutral i think but when i see a easy cross on another color that isn't white/yellow i try maybe i average +2 or +3 sec bc my brain trying to recognize the f2l pairs

tsmosher

I've tried becoming CN a lot of times, with cfop, with roux, on 4x4 with yau (most recently), and have quit equal amount of times. I guess it's just because i can't stick to being significantly slower than I am for an extended period of time even though I know I'll be faster at the end. I've mostly given up on it now, dual CN is fine for me since I don't cube that much anymore.
Yeah, I don't think it's so cut and dry. You won't necessarily be faster just because you are CN. Dual CN is fine, and some of the fastest cubers are.

WCA
2021SATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I perform best using a white cross but that’s only because I have been using it for a year, I use beginner cfop, (no full pll or oll) and if I start on a different color I can perform almost as wel, as on white I just have to think about what colors I am filtering out for f2l