• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Color Neutral: Yes, No, Tried and Quit, Never Tried

jdh3000

Just a discussion to see who is or isn't color neutral; who tried and quit, who has never tried and doesn't care to learn.

Did you switch or have you always been CN?

If you switched, do you feel like you gained quite a bit?

If you didn't switch or gave it up, are you pretty happy without it?

No shame in leaving it behind if you feel like your time was better spent building up other areas, that inspection time is better without it.

This is not meant to argue whether one way is better than the other, just wondering.

Is anyone in the middle of learning and how do you feel about it?

I personally had put it off because every time I've tried it I wasn't happy with the results. It felt weird and awkward. I wasn't getting that rush I got from "whizing" through a solve.

I'm trying again and I'll just have to see how it goes. I think many enjoy cubing so much and are happy on one or two colors, that doing anything that seems to pull away from that is too much of a distraction.

There are some top cubers who aren't CN.

I think it's a personal decision and neither way is more or less correct than the other. We don't perceive the world in exactly the same way, and what works for one may not be what works for another.

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
Just a discussion to see who is or isn't color neutral; who tried and quit, who has never tried and doesn't care to learn.

Did you switch or have you always been CN?

If you switched, do you feel like you gained quite a bit?

If you didn't switch or gave it up, are you pretty happy without it?

No shame in leaving it behind if you feel like your time was better spent building up other areas, that inspection time is better without it.

This is not meant to argue whether one way is better than the other, just wondering.

Is anyone in the middle of learning and how do you feel about it?

I personally had put it off because every time I've tried it I wasn't happy with the results. It felt weird and awkward. I wasn't getting that rush I got from "whizing" through a solve.

I'm trying again and I'll just have to see how it goes. I think many enjoy cubing so much and are happy on one or two colors, that doing anything that seems to pull away from that is too much of a distraction.

There are some top cubers who aren't CN.

I think it's a personal decision and neither way is more or less correct than the other. We don't perceive the world in exactly the same way, and what works for one may not be what works for another.

I really haven't bothered to ever learn. I average 15 to low 16 so I probably should but the truth is I just have never been bothered. Btw obviously I'm white/yellow dual colour neutral but that doesn't count.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm really bad at cross and f2l and I struggle a lot trying to be CN. ive never seriously tried CN but maybe I should

D

Deleted member 55877

I was color neutral basically as soon as i started cubing. It paid off nicely, now I don't have to go through the struggles of transitioning from white cross to CN

jdh3000

I tried becoming color neutral but failed (for CFOP)

Currently I am method neutral, I use both CFOP and Roux in my 3x3 speedsolves, U F E' R2 E R' U2 S U2 S' R' F' U'.

Do you use Roux when your cross case is too bad for CFOP?
Do you ever start with Roux but finish with CFOP on a single solve?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you use Roux when your cross case is too bad for CFOP?
Do you ever start with Roux but finish with CFOP on a single solve?
Yes I do Roux when the white cross or the yellow cross is not favourable, or I jump to Roux if I see a 1x2x2 square immediately.
Rarely, I finish a Roux solve with CFOP, but there have been some lucky L10P cases where, I get a OLL/OLLCP on the top layer, or I just get a U perm finish, it is rare though and unintentional, and I generally consider it as a Roux step, U L E L2 E' L' E L2 E' U'.

jdh3000

Yes I do Roux when the white cross or the yellow cross is not favourable, or I jump to Roux if I see a 1x2x2 square immediately.
Rarely, I finish a Roux solve with CFOP, but there have been some lucky L10P cases where, I get a OLL/OLLCP on the top layer, or I just get a U perm finish, it is rare though and unintentional, and I generally consider it as a Roux step, U L E L2 E' L' E L2 E' U'.
Cool! I've been working on Roux block building to do f2l, then just finish with oll/pll. I'm thinking I could remedy some poor cross situations.

Though I haven't learned full Roux, I do like the left and Right blick building, just needing to make it faster and get my m slices quicker. It may eventually replace a lot of my f2l, we'll see.

Last edited:

jdh3000

I wish I had done color neutral from the start. In the beginning I was doing yellow cross on top with a beginner’s method. When I stated cfop most everything had white on bottom so I switched to that just to be congruent.
That would’ve been a perfect time to have solved on all sides, when I was just learning to make pairs.

Spacey10

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was single until high 50s, then I saw how some people on this forum were struggling to switch because they were fast (Micah Morrison), so I switched. Took like 5 solves.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not color neutral, but I'm not a single cross solver either. I practiced solving on white only for several years, and then decided that using one color wasn't the move, so I practiced all the other colors as well to the point that I can find and use good crosses on any color. However, if you were to pick a random color on the cube and said do an average of 25 with just that color, it would be slightly worse than my white cross avg of 25, so I don't call myself color neutral. I prefer to say I'm an All-Colors solver