• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfolded M2 Help and Discussion thread

Thanks for solutions. But for corner first how can you memorise UBL and UBR swapped quickly? It is hard to not memo where the piece obviously goes to, and has slowed memo a lot.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for solutions. But for corner first how can you memorise UBL and UBR swapped quickly? It is hard to not memo where the piece obviously goes to, and has slowed memo a lot.
It's just a habit when you practice enough. And it's connected with the alg you use to solve parity. You dont think about UBL and UBR swapped. You only think about parity alg you have to do in the end of the solve.

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
What happens if you have the UB or BU edge as the second letter in your letter pair? Do you just do the algorithm as if it would be the first letter in the pair? I wasn't given any algorithms for FD and DF.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
What happens if you have the UB or BU edge as the second letter in your letter pair? Do you just do the algorithm as if it would be the first letter in the pair? I wasn't given any algorithms for FD and DF.
The three posts above all give the answer, but just to explain why: M2 moves the piece in the buffer (DF) to the target position (UB) with the unfortunate side effect of swapping UF and DB and mixing up centres. You have to consider UF and DB swapped if they come second in a letter pair to deal with this side effect. Since moving DF to UB is not part of the side effect, and is actually the reason for doing the M2, you don't need any special treatment when UB or BU come second in a pair.

faisaleo

When I used to use M2, Whenever I got FU or BD, I would do a 3-style pair. However, it is very easy to do 3-style with FU and BD. Just treat that as your target location and instead of M2, do M' and M. If the other thing in your pair is UB of BU, then it is a little harder. For UB, you can do D or F and then use UB as the buffer for that pair and FU or BD as the target location. For BU and FU, I do a U or U' turn to setup to the commutator DF -> RU -> LU, to do S D S' U2 S D' S' U2. For BU and BD, I do U and then do the thing where BD is the target. The setup would be D' R2 D.

BerserkerSA

I just recently started BLD. I have found all algs for the method. However, I got quite some questons that I would like to ask:
1. Does the M2 part affect the corners? If yes, how to remember the corner positions?
2. What should I do if I found that the buffer is a correct piece but not all are correctly permuted?
3. How do I know if the orientarion of a piece is correct?(like flipped corners, edge, etc)
Thx
PS, I use positions to remember the pieces

EMI

WCA
2011RHEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. the M2 part doesn't affect the corners.
2. You have to break into a new cycle (swap the buffer with some unsolved piece and continue until you get to the buffer again)
3. Don't remember the cube as pieces but as stickers, then this isn't an issue.

I suggest watching a couple of tutorials / example solves on youtube, those should answer all these questions.

WCA
2013CABR01
For my second question, I wanna if the problem can be avoided, like doing rotations or so.
If you are really interested in this you can do some research on "floating buffers" but that is very intense for a beginner. It also causes massive amounts of complications when it comes to parity. I recommend learning cycle breaks because they are much simpler once you get the hang of it.

Straniz33

DB vs DF buffer M2 3BLD
I'm learning M2 for edges and was curious as to why people don't use DB as the buffer piece. F moves seems easier to do so it should speed up execution compared to using DF. I guess most people started using it due to Stefan Pochmann but I'm curious if there's any other reasons.

The only argument I can see against it is that you have to turn the cube a bit at the start of inspection, but to me that seems negligible since you're gonna have to look at that piece sooner or later anyway in most cases.

What do you guys think?

TheRouxGuy

In most beginners tutorial the targets on R and L face are setup using B moves. But in more advanced M2, you might need to solve it using rotations. While using DF as the buffer, you get better commutators and can use better fingertricks.
For example:
To set up to UR piece, you use R U R' U' while using the DF buffer. But when you do it using DB buffer you have to do it as R' U' R U, which is not very finger-tricky
Also while executing targets on L and R faces, to you have regrip the cube twice(according to me).
Whereas you can use better fingertricks which are speed optimal using the DF buffer.

Some of the tricks and tips are shown in this video.

P.S. Correct me if I am wrong

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'm learning M2. For the special case where if you have I, C, W, or S(Speffz) as the second letter in the pair, you solve the opposite piece(C and W & I and S being the opposites), should I memorize like normal and during exec realize I should do the opposite letter, or should I memo the opposite letter and exec like normal?