• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

Octavian-360

WCA
2016GADD01
I'd say go with Roux or ZZ. Roux is a very intuitive method with only 11 algs for 2-look CMLL and only 42 for full CMLL and on the other hand ZZ only requires 30 for OLL+PLL because edges are oriented in the first step which reduces the orientation cases.
I am using Roux and I prefer Roux because ZZ isn't exactly very very ergonomic for 2H solving.
Play with all methods before choosing.

RonM

What about F2L?
Since I'm still using the beginner's method. :(

F2L can be learned entirely intuitively. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm a newbie, but I think most people learn F2L intuitively, gain some level of proficiency with it, and then learn algs to solve particularly long F2L cases with algs.

Also, turn that frown upside down; your average time, your solve method, all of it is second to the main purpose of cubing: your joy and entertainment. As long as you're having fun, you're doing it well. :)

Edit: Incomplete thoughts. Bad grammar. Fixed.

John Ramsey

Hi,

I have been cubing on and off for about a year now. I use beginners cross, last layer, and f2l.Trying to learn full CFOP doesn't seem like its working for me, and is making me sluggish and slow with my solves. I just wanted a method that can easily be transitioned to, and doesn't have many algorithms. The main problem for me on chossing a new speedcubing method is lookahead. When I try lookahead, it just doesn't work. Is there any method out there which is easy for a person who doesn't like long algorithms? Also recognising cases is another obstacle for me too.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I give my recommendation, I do want to clear up a couple misconceptions you seem to have.
1) No matter what advanced method you switch to, your solves will be slower for a couple weeks while you get used to it. That's natural and expected.
2) Lookahead isn't something you can just try out or decide to do; it comes with practice and it can take years to perfect. If it doesn't seem to be working for you now, just keep practicing and it will naturally improve.

Anyway... for someone who doesn't like algs, Roux is not particularly alg-heavy. It's pretty intuitive and full CMLL only requires 42 algs. Any advanced method will require some case recognition, but Roux probably requires the least, so I'd recommend researching that a bit. :)

Solvador Cubi

Hi John,

I too am not interested in learning a bunch of algs, which is why I use 2-look for OLL and PLL.
The simplest form of it I know, I put into one sheet here: http://solvexio.cf/app/#/FIXLL_OnePage

One could say this only uses 9 algs!
It could be considered a beginner CFOP, but it can be used on your way to "full CFOP" if you want.

I generally use that method (plus some 1-look OLLs I know),
except instead of that T-Perm, I use a J-Perm, and in place of that E, I use an N-Perm.

Some of this might be helpful to you, just posting about my experiences.

good luck!

-= Solvador Cubi

Sandro Pastor

Hi, I recently got a 3x3 speedcube and wanted to know what is the best method to speedsolve it. I started to learn F2L and I'm trying to get used to it.
Thanks in advance :D

xyzzy

Can't go wrong with any of the big three: CFOP, Roux and ZZ.

It's not currently known if any of these three is truly better than the others; while most fast people use CFOP, that could also be attributed to popularity rather than actual superiority.

Sandro Pastor

Can't go wrong with any of the big three: CFOP, Roux and ZZ.

It's not currently known if any of these three is truly better than the others; while most fast people use CFOP, that could also be attributed to popularity rather than actual superiority.

I'll look up CFOP first then. Thanks :D

MCubing4Life

I have been cubing for 6 months and I need to learn the fastest methods for all wca puzzles so I can get faster. Please help.