• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
You got a point there. In this case I think someone should create a tutorial for SSC and include it in the first post of this thread.
I know that shadowslice's introduction of SSC is not sufficient to learn the method unless you are already an experienced cuber.

I'll try to make a tutorial with walkthroughs at some point though no guarantees as to when. It'll probably be a series one video for each step and some walkthroughs.

I suppose that can be my project for the summer: create a series of resources for people who want to pick up the method and actually get good at it myself.

Eoline/edge I may just refer them to asmallkitten's video since he explains it so well there.

Also, one of the funny thing is that I was still quite a bit of a noob when I first proposed the method (I had been properly cubing for about 1-2 months).

Last edited:

posaidon0802

WCA
2016SEVE01
ZZ or Petrus. Both of them are blockbuilding and have not that much algs. ZZ is also rotationless. The algs for both methods are only for the last layer (which is kinda obvious because intuitive last layer is hard) CFOP is my main method and there are more guides to it but, if you're willing to learn ZZ and Petrus, then go ahead.

otbgroup

Good morning to everybody. I'm otbgroup and I am an ancient user and player of old Rubik's Cube in earlier '80. I dicovered again this Amazing game and I'm happy to discover too that a huge international community exists aroun the cube.
I started with Kurt Endl methos (Layer by Layer with ROOF, MIDDLE and FLOOR) and I'm searching for a new method. I' read about F2L that I find fantastic, but I'm study Cornars First at the moment.
Is theere some new method I can study? Thanks.

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
I don't recommend u to learn corners first. Your best options are probably:

CFOP: learn F2L and 4LLL and then learn full PLL then full OLL

Roux: learn Roux and get used to it then learn 2 look COLL and then full COLL

ZZ: learn ZZ and get used to it then start learning ZZ-CT

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
First of all:

Nice to see you! Welcome in the forums!

The question is, what do you want to do with those methods. If you want to get into spedcubing and get fast, zz cfop and roux are your best bets, as @Rcuber123 said. If you want to learn stuff about cube theory, you could try Heise or NISS.
Each and every method has its advantagea and disatvantages. You should try different ones and inform yorself about all nice alternatives before you get into one of them. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. The cubing community is a friendly community :)

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
First of all:

Nice to see you! Welcome in the forums!

The question is, what do you want to do with those methods. If you want to get into spedcubing and get fast, zz cfop and roux are your best bets, as @Rcuber123 said. If you want to learn stuff about cube theory, you could try Heise or NISS.
Each and every method has its advantagea and disatvantages. You should try different ones and inform yorself about all nice alternatives before you get into one of them. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. The cubing community is a friendly community :)
NISS isn't a method it's just a technique for FMC. NISS can't solve cube it just gives us more options with is great for FMC

phreaker

I don't recommend u to learn corners first. Your best options are probably:

CFOP: learn F2L and 4LLL and then learn full PLL then full OLL

Roux: learn Roux and get used to it then learn 2 look COLL and then full COLL

ZZ: learn ZZ and get used to it then start learning ZZ-CT

Roux you mean CMLL?

ZZ, you can use OCLL + PLL, to cut the initial alg count down to a reasonable amount. But that doesn't stop the pain known as EOLine ;).

Zachary Palan

I don't know about anyone else, but I believe being proficient in Roux and CFOP could really help you in your solves. I dont know if there is an official name for it, but if you do your F2L using Roux, it is easier to look ahead and find your OLL(I use partial OLL so I have to know what I am doing immediately so that if I run into a case that I dont know a single alg solve fore the case, i can do the next one asap) I don't feel that Roux is harder at all to look ahead because all you need to look for at the start of a solve is 2 edges and a pair, which can also easily be found while inserting tho 2 edges. to be honest, I have adapted what I heard on Roux into F2l, but forget about to edges on cross until your F2L pairs are inserted. finally, use whatever LL method you want and I believe it is easier to improve, learn, and lookahead :D

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know about anyone else, but I believe being proficient in Roux and CFOP could really help you in your solves. I dont know if there is an official name for it, but if you do your F2L using Roux, it is easier to look ahead and find your OLL(I use partial OLL so I have to know what I am doing immediately so that if I run into a case that I dont know a single alg solve fore the case, i can do the next one asap) I don't feel that Roux is harder at all to look ahead because all you need to look for at the start of a solve is 2 edges and a pair, which can also easily be found while inserting tho 2 edges. to be honest, I have adapted what I heard on Roux into F2l, but forget about to edges on cross until your F2L pairs are inserted. finally, use whatever LL method you want and I believe it is easier to improve, learn, and lookahead :D

A lot of people have thought of this and similar ideas. For various reasons, it's not better. It's a good start to developign your own method though!

Zachary Palan

I know for various reasons it isnt that great, but the way I do the roux is basically skip 2 edges to look for the pairs. for beginners/intermediates, it is much easier to track. it probably has a high move count though. I also dont find edge pairing from the bottom layer particularly bad either, so I guess it depends on the person

YouTube
Visit Channel
Speedcubing Methods Good for Beginners:

LBL ---> Badmephisto (Beginner CFOP) --> CFOP
Samsara --> ^
Salvia --> RouxOP (Beginner Roux) --> Roux
Pure Petrus --> PetrusOP --> Advanced Petrus
DO NOT TEACH BEGINNERS ZZ!! (They must learn CFOP first or master at it.)

Others: XG method, Hexagonal Francisco, FreeFOP, or CFCE.

Badmephisto:
1. Cross
2. Solve Corners Unoriented
3. Pair the Corners with Equator Edges (only 2 cases)
4. Edge Orient
5. Corners Orient
6. Corners Permute
7. Edges Permute

Best Beginner CFOP Method!! (It really helped me)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Why not? I definitely didn't "master" CFOP before I learned ZZ and I just went straight to proper Roux/ZZ without having learned more than basic LBL beforehand and having been solving with it for about 1-2 weeks and did maybe 5 solves with it.

Also, you will pobably be doing more harm than good because they will have to break the CFOP habits of pair building and using Fs, rotations etc.

Last edited:

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I completely and utterly disagree. ZZ was my first speed solving method as a beginner and I had no problem learning it. I was averaging just under 2 minutes when I learned it, and it took less than a day to understand EO.

I think learning CFOP first actually does more harm than good if you intend on eventually learning ZZ.

BirdPuzzles

WCA
2017SELF01
I completely and utterly disagree. ZZ was my first speed solving method as a beginner and I had no problem learning it. I was averaging just under 2 minutes when I learned it, and it took less than a day to understand EO.

I think learning CFOP first actually does more harm than good if you intend on eventually learning ZZ.
Yeah, I intend on becoming a ZZ solver at OH. Eventually :p. I think that beginners just need to learn the easiest to follow method

NoobishCuber

I have no idea what the best beginner method is. I have heard so many many things that say do hexagonal Francisco, Petrus, Roux, Beginner CFOP, and I have no idea which one I should learn. I average around 1:20 and my PB is 1:01. The corner piece to my main broke so...ok