• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

aznnerd

How to memorize algorithms?

I am currently learning f2l at learn2cube.com, any tips on how to memorize?
P.S. How long did it take you guys to memorize them?:confused:

F2L actually isn't memorizing algorithms, though you can use them to see what you are trying to do. I use F2L for practice, and can honestly say it takes me anywhere from 1-2 minutes to complete. basically just start out slow and you will start to understand. I know what I'm doing now, (it took me a couple days for it to click in my brain) but it takes time to perfect.

aznnerd

Ok, what method do you use since you said you use F2l for practice. And is it faster?

jeff081692

WCA
2012JAME03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most people don't memorize the algorithms but learn how to do it using common sense. You get a basic idea of what you are trying to do then you make your own algorithm and if you get stuck then you go to the page and see what you are doing wrong and that will help you know them better. Its like the cross you wouldn't memorize every single position but get an idea of what you are doing and its easier to figure it out from there instead of memorizing algorithms.

aznnerd

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear, I am currently learning f2l, but i was just wondering what method you use.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
There are probably close to 1,000 threads on this topic in this forum. You should search the forum as there are tons of good posts with great information relating to this.

hube

how do YOU memorize algorithms?

First, I have it printed out/written down/on the computer or where ever... I keep looking at it while I continue to do it over and over. I eventually try to look away and look back when I forget how to certain moves... and eventually after thinking about it move by move the motions just come natural... i couldn't even tell someone the algorithm to sune or the f2l edge placer off the top of my head... it's weird:D

does anyone else just go right in and remember the notation? or have another way?

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's called muscle memory, and people memorize a lot of algos like that.

As for me, I find most of my own algos, I use a very nearly completed Fridrich, with 80% of the algos being my own. But for the ones that I get off sites, I use muscle memory, or pretend I'm cramming for a test and just go and memorize the notation. It also helps if I sorta execute it in my brain, with a virtual cube in my head.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
I use "muscle memory".

Just do whatever it takes to memorize the algorithm. Stepping through an algorithm and segmenting it can be handy; it'll reveal similarities with other algorithms and make it easier for you to relate their uses.

I can't execute a string of notation quickly. I step through it slowly and memorize the movements my fingers are making.

Tim.

Forcemaster

Muscle memory + some other tricks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Lb-eFXzro

I use those algs too, they're form cubewhiz (as stated in the vid). They algs aren't just... FRUR'U'RU etc, they're more like:(F R U) (R' U' R U) etc, they're grouped together in groups that return often (called "triggers" if i'm not mistaken?), makes it easier to remember them.

But it's mostly muscle memory.