• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2 look discussion - OLL and PLL

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I used 2-look PLL, what I used to do is-
After orienting LL, try to find a set of headlights on one side( headlight-2 corners stickers with same color on same layer).
If headlights are present, then put them on the back and do the A perm( A perm- x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 x')
If you don't find any headlights then do the A perm from any side. Once you have headlights after that do the step again.
Once you have headlights everywhere then you will have these 4 cases-

Ua
pll06.gif
(R U' R U) (R U) (R U') (R' U' R2) This is just a simple 3-edge cycle. It is almost as fast as the corner cycles. I solve this case with the bar at the front or the back.

Ub
pll07.gif
(R2 U) (R U R' U') (R' U') (R' U R') This is the inverse of the other U perm. I place my hands slightly differently for this algorithm. I solve this case with the bar at the front or the back.

H
pll05.gif
(M2' U) (M2' U2) (M2' U) M2' This is extremely easy to recognize and can be performed VERY quickly. The M'2 is actually performed as (M'M') with rapid pushing at the back face of the M layer with the ring and then middle fingers.

Z
pll04.gif
(M2' U) (M2' U) (M' U2) (M2' U2) (M' U2) The Z permutation is performed very similarly to the H perm. The last U2 is not necessary if you account for it before the algorithm.

After orienting LL, try to find a set of headlights on one side( headlight-2 corners stickers with same color on same layer).
If headlights are present, then put them on the back and do the A perm( A perm- x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 x')
If you don't find any headlights then do the A perm from any side. Once you have headlights after that do the step again.

Ua
pll06.gif
(R U' R U) (R U) (R U') (R' U' R2) This is just a simple 3-edge cycle. It is almost as fast as the corner cycles. I solve this case with the bar at the front or the back.

Ub
pll07.gif
(R2 U) (R U R' U') (R' U') (R' U R') This is the inverse of the other U perm. I place my hands slightly differently for this algorithm. I solve this case with the bar at the front or the back.

H
pll05.gif
(M2' U) (M2' U2) (M2' U) M2' This is extremely easy to recognize and can be performed VERY quickly. The M'2 is actually performed as (M'M') with rapid pushing at the back face of the M layer with the ring and then middle fingers.

Z
pll04.gif
(M2' U) (M2' U) (M' U2) (M2' U2) (M' U2) The Z permutation is performed very similarly to the H perm. The last U2 is not necessary if you account for it before the algorithm.
THANK YOU

Duncan Bannon

To all you 2 look OLL'ers out there. For a dot case do you do F (Sexy) F' S (Sexy) Fw' Or F (Sexy) F' Fw (Sexy) Fw'

Oatch

To all you 2 look OLL'ers out there. For a dot case do you do F (Sexy) F' S (Sexy) Fw' Or F (Sexy) F' Fw (Sexy) Fw'

Better yet, avoid the dot case entirely by doing a sledgehammer insert for your last pair if you notice that none of your edges are oriented. It doesn't really add any extra moves but you'll always get a 6 move edges orientation case (or skip!) which is nice.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Both suck; do R U2 R2' F R F' U2 R' F R F' instead.

Interesting... I'm in the F - sexy - S - sexy - Fw' camp. It seems relatively ergonomic despite the S slice; left hand doesn't regrip and right does all the moves. But I trust your judgement enough to suspect the alg you listed is better than it initially seems to me (of course the other one is going to be better for me when it's already established in muscle memory).

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting... I'm in the F - sexy - S - sexy - Fw' camp. It seems relatively ergonomic despite the S slice; left hand doesn't regrip and right does all the moves. But I trust your judgement enough to suspect the alg you listed is better than it initially seems to me (of course the other one is going to be better for me when it's already established in muscle memory).
F R U r' U' R U (R' M') U' F'

Destiny

Ua
pll06.gif

Ub
pll07.gif

H
pll05.gif

Z
pll04.gif
Two look PLL is meant to solve the cube in 2 algs. NO headlights should be a diagonal corner switcher, like the y perm

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Two look PLL is meant to solve the cube in 2 algs. NO headlights should be a diagonal corner switcher, like the y perm
Yes you are correct. There are 5 PLL cases where you don't have headlights and doing a diagonal corner swapping alg like the Y-perm or V-perm will pemute all the corners.
But, when I was a beginner I was too lazy to learn algs so I just learnt the A-perm.(didn't bother learning another long alg). And basically just did 3-Look PLL,

Destiny

Yes you are correct. There are 5 PLL cases where you don't have headlights and doing a diagonal corner swapping alg like the Y-perm or V-perm will pemute all the corners.
But, when I was a beginner I was too lazy to learn algs so I just learnt the A-perm.(didn't bother learning another long alg). And basically just did 3-Look PLL,
Hmm, I think the tutorials should teach the T perm instead of the A perm for headlights
It will help the learner get into 2 look PLL for later on. But I think the reason for the A perm is that each move is very different (there's D U R) While the T perm looks like a mess of R and U with a random F in there for beginners

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I think the tutorials should teach the T perm instead of the A perm for headlights
It will help the learner get into 2 look PLL for later on. But I think the reason for the A perm is that each move is very different (there's D U R) While the T perm looks like a mess of R and U with a random F in there for beginners
y tho? A perm is the fastest PLL that affects corners.

Solvador Cubi

I started 2-Look PLL with these 2 corner permutation algs because...
they are short
it made sense to watch how the F2L pairs moved around the cube
and they both started out the same:

J-Perm (adj. corners): R U' L U2 R' U R... U2 R' L'
Y-Perm (diag. corners): R U' L U2 R' U R... L' U' L U2 R' U L'

I have recently switched to this N-Perm instead of that Y-Perm, though:
(R' U r' F2 R F' r)2 (or shorter: R' (U r' F2 R F') M’ ... (U r' F2 R F') R)

-= Solvador Cubi

Thecuberlife

I have learned several pll algorithms but the way I do it ocasionally it takes three algorithms to solve ol rather than two so I’m trying to eliminate this out of my solves. So can anyone lead me to a good two look pll tutorial cause it seems like so many of them use different algs and I don’t know which 2 look pll tutorial is the fastest.

LeeryLangers

WCA
2015LANG03
I have learned several pll algorithms but the way I do it ocasionally it takes three algorithms to solve ol rather than two so I’m trying to eliminate this out of my solves. So can anyone lead me to a good two look pll tutorial cause it seems like so many of them use different algs and I don’t know which 2 look pll tutorial is the fastest.

In my opinion, 2 look PLL is best taught as Corners -> Edges.
You’ll only need 6 algorithms and they’re all fast. You can always solve PLL in 2 algorithms

First, look at corner permutation, if you see a pair of headlights, put them on the right and do a T Perm
(R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F')
If you see no bars at all, do a Y Perm
(F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F)
These are the only two cases (along with the solved state)

Next is edges. I’m gonna assume you already know EPLL though (Ua, Ub, Z, H) :p

I still use this for OH because I’m lazy, but I recommend learning full PLL pretty quickly. It helps quite a bit (well, it did for me :p)

If anyone else has a better method feel free to shun me or whatever ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but although the corner algs look long, they’re very trigger friendly and easily committed to muscle memory :)

JAMP0T1

Around this time last year I got into solving cubes ... At 59 seconds I wasn't quick but I was happy either way work got in the way and I stopped brought myself a new cube last week mixed it up and tried solving it ... Did the first two layers easily but got to the last layer and realised I'd forgotten what I needed to do

I seem to remember doing R U2 R' U' R U' R' but I can't remember what that was for I've managed to get to the cross but after that I can't remember tried looking at videos to jog my memory they show R U R' U R U2 R' got no recollection of ever using this is there an alternative method I might have used ?

Honestly sound like such an idiot but trust me it's frustrating when you completely forget how to do something you once we able to