• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 2 Colour (Blue Green) Official Rubik's

matthewb60023

Hi! Rubik's cube beginner here. Recently bough a speed cube learnt the beginner method and having fun with it!

I've had this blue and green cube for 10+ years and never learnt to solve it, until yesterday when I used the beginner method with a bit of intuition and a lot of trial and error! It was a lot of fun, although this cube turns so very horribly 😬

Couple of questions for you much more knowledgeable cubers:
1. Has anyone seen one of these before? I can't find them anywhere online, have I been hoarding a relic or something?

2. is this harder to solve than a standard 3x3 or easier? the reason I ask, is because 2 colours initially sounds simpler, and in my head, I would assume there are several different solve states, as edge pieces and corner pieces can be directly opposite from oneanother, yet still be correct. But the fact it took me way longer to solve using the beginner method, made the answer unclear. Possibly another solve method would be way more efficient.

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
Hi! Rubik's cube beginner here. Recently bough a speed cube learnt the beginner method and having fun with it!

I've had this blue and green cube for 10+ years and never learnt to solve it, until yesterday when I used the beginner method with a bit of intuition and a lot of trial and error! It was a lot of fun, although this cube turns so very horribly 😬

Couple of questions for you much more knowledgeable cubers:
1. Has anyone seen one of these before? I can't find them anywhere online, have I been hoarding a relic or something?

2. is this harder to solve than a standard 3x3 or easier? the reason I ask, is because 2 colours initially sounds simpler, and in my head, I would assume there are several different solve states, as edge pieces and corner pieces can be directly opposite from oneanother, yet still be correct. But the fact it took me way longer to solve using the beginner method, made the answer unclear. Possibly another solve method would be way more efficient.

People have solved the 3 color cube really fast, but I don't think anyone has shown that the 2 color cube is easier than a 6 color cube for humans.

kubesolver

Premium Member
It's obviously easier.
You have only 3 different edges 2 of which have no orientation (think about making blue blue blue 2x2x2).
I have a feeling I could score sub-3x3x3-PB within 10 attempts

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
It's obviously easier.
You have only 3 different edges 2 of which have no orientation (think about making blue blue blue 2x2x2).
I have a feeling I could score sub-3x3x3-PB within 10 attempts
I’ve built 2 color cubes, and I have not gotten even close to my 3x3 PB and I’ve done more than 10 attempts. I wouldn’t call it that obvious, if you haven’t solved one before.

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
Probably I should have used a better expression.
I can't believe it won't be easier than a regular 3x3x3.
Maybe I should get some stickers and give it a go
Yeah, you can also buy a black plastic and a white plastic cube to make 2 of them. There are 2 different layouts of colors, so that is a good way to make both.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forums! @matthewb60023, I really think that puzzle is cool and really easy to solve. However, there are puzzles with the standard red-blue-yellow-orange-white-green color scheme. I would recommend getting THIS puzzle as a starter to solving the standard rubik's cube.
Also, get some lubricant to help with the turning of the puzzle, but do not use it until you are fluent with your solves. It is handy to have, but not a necessity yet. It's just there so that you can have it and not have to spend extra money for a new order or whatnot.
https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/lube/products/cubicle-labs-silk or https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/lube/products/dnm-37
The silk will create a plush feel for the puzzle, while the DNM will create a fast feel for the puzzle. Either one is fine.
SO that concludes:
-Welcome to the forums!
-What puzzle to get to branch off your 3x3
-How to make the puzzle plusher or faster
I hope to see some progression soon, and happy cubing.

matthewb60023

Welcome to the forums! @matthewb60023, I really think that puzzle is cool and really easy to solve. However, there are puzzles with the standard red-blue-yellow-orange-white-green color scheme. I would recommend getting THIS puzzle as a starter to solving the standard rubik's cube.
Also, get some lubricant to help with the turning of the puzzle, but do not use it until you are fluent with your solves. It is handy to have, but not a necessity yet. It's just there so that you can have it and not have to spend extra money for a new order or whatnot.
https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/lube/products/cubicle-labs-silk or https://www.thecubicle.com/collections/lube/products/dnm-37
The silk will create a plush feel for the puzzle, while the DNM will create a fast feel for the puzzle. Either one is fine.
SO that concludes:
-Welcome to the forums!
-What puzzle to get to branch off your 3x3
-How to make the puzzle plusher or faster
I hope to see some progression soon, and happy cubing.
I actually bought a standard 3x3 a couple of weeks ago, it's a great cube and really easy to move. Considering buying a magnetic one soon.
My current avg time is 2 minutes, and my best is 1:31, so I've got a lot of improving to do. But I'm having lots of fun with it!

Oddly still find this cube much harder to solve than the standard 3x3, it keeps throwing me curve balls, because the lack of different colours makes it more awkward for me to know which block to put where. Might have a look at lubing it up, thanks for the suggestion!

I'm still finding it curious nobody has come across this cube, considering that its and official rubik's!