• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] ZZ method / EOLine Discussion

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. Only learn the super easy winter variations, but I would say learn T COLL and then T ZBLL as a long term project (a few months) then build on your ZBLL knowledge from there. Then do the same for U, then L, then H, then Pi (if you want to).

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! I've never been a big fan of learning algs(It's not hard, I can just never motivate myself to do it), so I think I'll just stick with OCLL/PLL for now and just pick up a few easy WV/SV cases. What's JOLL? I can't find anything on the wiki
JOLL (Jayden OLL (?)) is an edge recognition system to help predict opposite or adjacent edge cases for PLL, but I think its mostly for OLLs with edge flips. Jay has a bunch of videos about it on his channel.
So, I guess the equivalent would be to learn partial ZBLL recognition to help predict PLL (adj corner swap + phased edges narrows it down from 21 PLLs to T, F, or A perm), after you learn COLL recognition to predict your corner case. And learn cool things like headlights and AUF prediction.

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. Only learn the super easy winter variations, but I would say learn T COLL and then T ZBLL as a long term project (a few months) then build on your ZBLL knowledge from there. Then do the same for U, then L, then H, then Pi (if you want to).
JOLL (Jayden OLL (?)) is an edge recognition system to help predict opposite or adjacent edge cases for PLL, but I think its mostly for OLLs with edge flips. Jay has a bunch of videos about it on his channel.
So, I guess the equivalent would be to learn partial ZBLL recognition to help predict PLL (adj corner swap + phased edges narrows it down from 21 PLLs to T, F, or A perm), after you learn COLL recognition to predict your corner case. And learn cool things like headlights and AUF prediction.
@ProStar are you gonna do all this? Lol I'm too lazy for any of it.

please just post this in a mega thread, don't make new threads for single questions like this. You recog ZZ EO by this:

(I'm using the white top green front orientation)
for the edges in the U and D layer, the top sticker has to either be yellow or white, if the yellow or white sticker is on the side, then it's a bad edge, if an edge doesn't have a white or yellow, here: if the side sticker of the edge matches the R or L face's color then it's a good edge but if the side sticker matches the F or B face's color then it's a bad edge.

for the edges in the E slice (the middle layer) if the front sticker's color (the sticker that's facing you) is white or yellow, then it's a good edge but if it has white or yellow on the side then it's a bad edge, but if the edge doesn't have yellow or white, then here:
if the edge's front sticker doesn't have blue or green, then it's a bad edge

keep in mind that this is on the white top green front orientation.

LolArt

Im trying to move from EOline to EOcross for ZZ since someone suggested its better. After a while on YouTube i cant find a video explaining the concept of EOcross or how to do it efficiently just like how jperm has tutorials for cfop cross. Any advice on EOcross?

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Im trying to move from EOline to EOcross for ZZ since someone suggested its better. After a while on YouTube i cant find a video explaining the concept of EOcross or how to do it efficiently just like how jperm has tutorials for cfop cross. Any advice on EOcross?
EOcross is tough to master. For starters, I'd recommend doing EO -> cross. As you get more advanced, you can do influencing during EO to make cross pieces end up in more favorable positions. At the high level, you're basically solving them together. Be sure to practice both being efficient, and being able to plan as much as possible. The goal is to be able to plan a roughly sub-10 HTM solution (depends on how neutral you are) within the 15 seconds inspection time. This isn't easy, so don't be discouraged.

Check out my eocross website if you want to find good solutions for EOcross. It splits EO and cross, so the solutions are relatively intuitive.

If you want any help on ZZ, we'd be happy to help on the ZMS server

LolArt

EOcross is tough to master. For starters, I'd recommend doing EO -> cross. As you get more advanced, you can do influencing during EO to make cross pieces end up in more favorable positions. At the high level, you're basically solving them together. Be sure to practice both being efficient, and being able to plan as much as possible. The goal is to be able to plan a roughly sub-10 HTM solution (depends on how neutral you are) within the 15 seconds inspection time. This isn't easy, so don't be discouraged.

Check out my eocross website if you want to find good solutions for EOcross. It splits EO and cross, so the solutions are relatively intuitive.

If you want any help on ZZ, we'd be happy to help on the ZMS server
thank you so much

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to quickly collect eoline
And what is the norm for the number of moves for assembling eoline

The most number of moves you ever need to solve eoline is 7 moves. If I look very hard, I can average about 6.3 moves to solve eoline, and thats without checking other orientations. If you are some form of cn (y, x2y, full), then you should probably get your average solution down under 6.0 moves.
The way I practice is just opening cstimer and trying to find optimal solutions for eolines. If you open tools, there's an option for solvers, and eoline is one of the options in the drop down table. The optimal solver does a lot of really cool things that look really complicated, but I still thing it's worth studying the solutions.

As for doing it quickly, I think it always helps to be able to find a short solution. In solves, you'll want it under 8 moves - ideally under 6 but its hard to find optimal solutions in only 15 seconds. Finding a solution that is short and ergonomic is a tough balance. I think translating moves by prerotating so that F/B become U/D moves is useful, but its not something you should rely on too much - if you can use a wide move instead of a rotation that's even better. Making sure that you can still use good fingertricks and execute F/B without needing to rotate will really help you be more flexible with the eoline execution. Having good fingertricks to do moves in uncomfortable situations is vital to having a fast eoline, as short solutions can often be pretty strange. Sacrificing a move for a more ergonomic solution is often a compromise that you have to make, but its something you want to avoid.