• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Youtube channel got deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshat Sehgal

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, recently, Google gave me a message that my account would be deleted in 29 days. There was a way to fix it but i will do it. I had a youtube channel, but I checked on youtube and all of my videos and subscribers had been deleted. I didn't have a channel anymore. I don't know if when i sign in again, it will work, but I had a massive following of 289 subscribers and im scared to see if they stay. If the videos stay, i will put a link for you guys. But if they dont, i will have to start all over again. Rippppp. Byee.

Edit:
ok well, i guess it didn't work out so great. My channnel is deleted and i had to make another google account. I dont have any vids so yeah. You dont have to sub

Last edited by a moderator:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you know why your channel got deleted? My older channel also got deleted because I put in my B-Day and it said the exact same thing. I had to make another google account and also well, I lost my following of 5 subscribers. Anyway, sorry to hear about your channel getting deleted.

xyzzy

Google gives you a grace period now????

Back when I had this issue (was making a YouTube account to test something and it wanted my birthday, so I just put in some nonsense), my account was just immediately suspended with zero warning and they wanted photo proof of my identity to unlock it. (Screw that nonsense.)

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel

Back when I had this issue (was making a YouTube account to test something and it wanted my birthday, so I just put in some nonsense), my account was just immediately suspended with zero warning and they wanted photo proof of my identity to unlock it. (Screw that nonsense.)
LOL. That's kinda dumb. Also why does it keep on making LOL all caps? Did it again

xyzzy

LOL. That's kinda dumb.
Stupid American regulations about protecting little children from the dangers of The Internet, or something, and Google deliberately taking a user-hostile but lawyer-friendly approach to following the regulations. At least according to what other people have been saying in this thread, they're ever so slightly less user-hostile now in this regard.

As far as I can tell, this website is actually the only English-language cubing community that's open to people under the age of 13, because guess what, it's not based in the US! Unlike Facebook or Reddit or Discord or wherever else you might have a cubing community.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Stupid American regulations about protecting little children from the dangers of The Internet, or something, and Google deliberately taking a user-hostile but lawyer-friendly approach to following the regulations. At least according to what other people have been saying in this thread, they're ever so slightly less user-hostile now in this regard.

As far as I can tell, this website is actually the only English-language cubing community that's open to people under the age of 13, because guess what, it's not based in the US! Unlike Facebook or Reddit or Discord or wherever else you might have a cubing community.
Wait, reddit and discord have age requirements?
Oops...

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Stupid American regulations about protecting little children from the dangers of The Internet,
False. The law applies everywhere, not just the internet. It's designed to keep companies from gaining personal information from those under 13. You gotta give personal information to have a channel. It's a good law and the companies are right to finally enforce it.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
False. The law applies everywhere, not just the internet. It's designed to keep companies from gaining personal information from those under 13. You gotta give personal information to have a channel. It's a good law and the companies are right to finally enforce it.

Enforcement on actual websites is lackluster at best, but yes, any website that knowingly collects information from US minors is subject to COPPA, regardless of where the website is based. These forums are clearly violating this law, as a large chunk of users on this forum are under 13.

Akshat Sehgal

YouTube
Visit Channel

yes they asked for id or credit card and im like screw it i will start again. I have my exams right now so i will start uploading after, in about 1 week

Yeah, i will prolly start with doing some skits because im pretty good at editing those. :) I got over it. I will start again and get more subs this time. yo i'm hyped.

xyzzy

Thanks for the correction. I was kinda hedging it because I don't really care about US law, as a non-American; and to whatever extent I have to deal with Americans, it's mostly on the internet.

You're right that the law does make sense considered by itself, and even the fact that it's being enforced more now (compared to 10 years ago) is not an inherently bad thing, but I will still take issue to how it's being enforced. The naïve approach is to just not collect personal information, regardless of whether they're ≥13 or not, and to actively moderate the content whenever personal information does get posted. I'm sure this naïve approach has issues, but they're also not our (end users') issues to care about in the first place! Meanwhile, the current predominant approach is to boot anyone discovered to be under the age of 13 off the platform. Like I said: user-hostile, lawyer-friendly.

(This is an entirely different story if minors are trying to monetise their YouTube channels etc., which I no longer have a strong opinion on, except insofar as I think monetising YouTube content is inherently unethical due to the entire business model being based on pervasive tracking.)

edit: I also just want to say that I do not recommend lying about your age to bypass the age filter.

Last edited:

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
Same here. Mine almost got deleted but then I changed my bday. Imo u shouldn't have to be thirteen to have a yt channel.
The reason most sites and social media services have the 13 year old age requirement has to do with online protection laws like COPPA that prevent companies from collecting data about children.

Status
Not open for further replies.