• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

You can sub 20 - Roux Version.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello fellow cubers!

I don't know if you all have seen 'cyoubx' videos. But he had this short series of "You can be sub-20 without..." Using CFOP of course..

So.., where i live, it is now summer time and I have nothing to do, so I thought I'd do a You can sub 20 with Roux! :D

I will make this series and will try to upload videos to youtube every time I get the challenge done, even if that means multiple uploads on one day or uploads every other day.

The hard part about this series, is that I just recently broke the sub 20 barrier. I can easily do sub 20 solves, but there will come a solve where I just cant :p

I already plan on making video with,
-No lookahead
-2LookCMLL
-Making blocks without M-slice

If there are other challenges you think I should do, please please tell me.

Thanks -teh PandaCuber.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it'll be difficult to do the no lookahead. Not because, well, no lookahead, but because it's kind of difficult to stop looking ahead, at least for me. Lookahead just kindof developed to the point where it's natural so I can't stop looking ahead. :/

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
To show that you don't need to be a Full Fridrich solver to average sub-20. Or a Roux solver with a bunch of algs. He's trying to make people understand that 20 seconds isn't that fast

Huh. I kind of got this out of it. "You can be fast (sub-20) without doing the common things pros do." That doesn't sound right... I know what I'm trying to say but I can't put it into the correct words.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Huh. I kind of got this out of it. "You can be fast (sub-20) without doing the common things pros do." That doesn't sound right... I know what I'm trying to say but I can't put it into the correct words.

You can be sub 20 without all of the shortcuts and algs? lol idk

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This isn't really a challenge but, do you think you could make a video on how to do LSE one handed? I just can't seem to do it quick when m solving.

You know, im actually learning how to do OH. I use right hand , so what I do is place thumb on second block, index finger on U, ring finger on M and then use table abuse. Basically place the first block on the table and make believe the table is just your other hand holding the first block. I hope that makes sense.

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
i dont understand this, 20 seconds isnt that fast?
ive only gotten 1 solve under 20 seconds, and it was an 8 second lucky solve ended up skipping the whole last layer completly, i finished the second layer and it was solved so super lucky.
as of now i cant consistantly break the 45 second mark, and am averageing 45-50 or 1 min mark on a good day, out of 20-25 solves back to back in 1 go. i use cube timer for my scrambles, and waterman for my method. im trying to break into using roux. i have bad look ahead :( it sucks really.
is there anything i can to to help improve this. thanks.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The danger is... if you have, for example sub-20 'without lookahead' -especially in Roux- people will be mislead. Lookahead is very important and most people miss it out, and improve only once they discover the importance.

Sure, you can easily get sub-20 without the fundamental techniques (meh not right word) of cubing, but you'll struggle later on to get really fast times.

I'm struggling to undo my bad LSE habits because I thought pauses during LSE wasn't a big problem, early on. Sure, it wasn't. Result, now my LSE is only like 2.5 seconds and it's hard for me to undo bad habits.

This isn't really a challenge but, do you think you could make a video on how to do LSE one handed? I just can't seem to do it quick when m solving.

My way's unique, I thought it was normal until I showed Thom at UKO and he was like wtf.
I lean on the FR edge, and kinda do it like SR rather than MU. Watch me solve and you'll see.

Last edited:

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry i didnt explain that better, the sub 9 single at that moment i was using layer by layer. my fault for not explaining that in the first place.
i then gave up LBL, and moved on to petrus, roux and finally my normal method waterman/corners first, and explained by REDKB on youtube.

Last edited:

Hyrtsi

YouTube
Visit Channel
Uh. How about actually teaching people to look ahead? Blockbuilding and fingertrick tutorials for beginners would be appreciated as well. Do useful tutorials you know ;)

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Uh. How about actually teaching people to look ahead? Blockbuilding and fingertrick tutorials for beginners would be appreciated as well. Do useful tutorials you know ;)

Yeah this is probably a getter idea. Thanks.!

sorry i didnt explain that better, the sub 9 single at that moment i was using layer by layer. my fault for not explaining that in the first place.
i then gave up LBL, and moved on to petrus, roux and finally my normal method waterman/corners first, and explained by REDKB on youtube.

Should have mulitposted this :p

Well what is that youre trying to say? Would you like a tutorial on lookahead with Roux?

Or that 20 seconds isnt that fast? ...I dont understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

chardison1980

YouTube
Visit Channel
a tutorial on improving my look ahead would be nice if you could do that, along with edge pairing and advanced edge pairing without breaking up the first 1x2x3 block. (roux)
thanks.