• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Xiaomi Giiker cube

• Thread starter Deleted member 15503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15503

I see that there has been some talk about the gocube of kickstarter, but there is already a similar cube on the market called the giiker cube. Review:
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the giiker cube and the gocube are both bluetooth enabeled cubes that track your moves.

I have bought the giiker cube (only 28 euros) and I must say it works really well. It is actually a good speedcube (magnetised) that preforms as well as todays top speedcubes. The only drawback for the moment is lack of good software for it. The official app has some fun games and a smart timer (automatically starts when you start turning, stops when solved), But it only works in one orientation and does not support slice moves.

I know of only one third party piece of software for this cube and that is
https://bluetooth.cubing.net/ . This really shows potential, it shows that we can create good speedcubing software for this cube.

What are your toughts on this cube versus the gocube?
Are there any other bluetooth cubes?
Is there some other software available for this cube? (or in the making)

Hazel

Premium Member
I think the future of speedcubing (like far future) should look like this:

Speedcubes have LED screens instead of stickers (that look very similar to regular stickers), and you can press a button on the app to scramble it instantly – it would just change the colors of the lights to a scrambled state. You would turn solve the cube as normal, the lights not changing colors at all throughout the solve. It would start the timer when you start turning and stop when the cube is solved. Changing your color scheme/shades would be as simple as switching around a few settings in the software and uploading it to the cube wirelessly. You could change the brightness via the software, and maybe even adjust the tensions through it as well. For BLD events, when you start turning the colors would all turn to grey and they would only show again when you stop the timer (whether the timer on the software or a physical timer connected to the software). It would eliminate the need for the +2 rule also, because the timer won't stop until it's completely solved.
The cube would also track your solution and show you a reconstruction so you could post it online and have others critique it. It would tell you how many moves it took as well as your TPS, and maybe statistics like how long your biggest pause was.
There could even be a separate section of the app/software where you could put a pattern onto your cube, or turn it into a picture cube with custom photos.

Last edited:

auienrst

I hope that both cube will have an open API. As for me, if split times on the reconstruction are possible, I think I will give it a try…

I think the future of speedcubing (like far future) should look like this:

Speedcubes have LED lights instead of stickers, and you can press a button on the app to scramble it instantly – it would just change the colors of the lights to a scrambled state. You would turn solve the cube as normal, the lights not changing colors at all throughout the solve. It would start the timer when you start turning and stop when the cube is solved. Changing your color scheme/shades would be as simple as switching around a few settings in the software and uploading it to the cube wirelessly. You could change the brightness via the software, and maybe even adjust the tensions through it as well. For BLD events, when you start turning the colors would all turn to grey and they would only show again when you stop the timer (whether the timer on the software or a physical timer connected to the software). It would eliminate the need for the +2 rule also, because the timer won't stop until it's completely solved.
The cube would also track your solution and show you a reconstruction so you could post it online and have others critique it. It would tell you how many moves it took as well as your TPS, and maybe statistics like how long your biggest pause was.
There could even be a seperate section of the app/software where you could put a pattern onto your cube, or turn it into a picture cube with custom photos.
That's great ideas!!

If you can tag your splits, you could have stats on where you should work. Maybe have drill sessions too.

Anyway, I hope that this far future will be soon enough ;)

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
Does anyone own this Giiker Smart Cube? I have just watched the video and wow it looks amazing. And actually looks a decent quality cube, being magnetic too.

I can find them on AliExpress for £23 or so.

What has your experience been?

Duncan Bannon

Very cool. Is it possible to lube this cube? I doubt you can on the core, but what about the pieces? Good review too.

Last edited:

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that these cubes aren't competition legal, since competitors could see the scrambles via a phone/laptop while waiting to be called.

What does the OP mean by 'only works in one orentation'? Can't you rotate to solve it with the smart timer?

Burnsy101

Thats annoying. I would have liked there to be a way to use these, to the point when they are more common than things like GAN cubes, (should I capitalise the gan?), but it seems like that wont happen then. Still cool though

40yearstosolve

Premium Member
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that these cubes aren't competition legal, since competitors could see the scrambles via a phone/laptop while waiting to be called.

What does the OP mean by 'only works in one orentation'? Can't you rotate to solve it with the smart timer?
I think the orientation thing is the software always expects it to be orientated in a particular way.

I found out about it via this video, I think it explains it...

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree, but I think this cube's main benefits will be in learning and practice. I can imagine really cool interactive tutorials, and practice aids especially for FMC and BLD etc.

Yolus

C
I see that there has been some talk about the gocube of kickstarter, but there is already a similar cube on the market called the giiker cube. Review:
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the giiker cube and the gocube are both bluetooth enabeled cubes that track your moves.

I have bought the giiker cube (only 28 euros) and I must say it works really well. It is actually a good speedcube (magnetised) that preforms as well as todays top speedcubes. The only drawback for the moment is lack of good software for it. The official app has some fun games and a smart timer (automatically starts when you start turning, stops when solved), But it only works in one orientation and does not support slice moves.

I know of only one third party piece of software for this cube and that is
https://bluetooth.cubing.net/ . This really shows potential, it shows that we can create good speedcubing software for this cube.

What are your toughts on this cube versus the gocube?
Are there any other bluetooth cubes?
Is there some other software available for this cube? (or in the making)

Can u help me how to pair the cube with the App or the computer? The computer asks me for a PIN or a password in order to pair it, and in the phone the app dont recognize the cube. What's wrong??

C

Can u help me how to pair the cube with the App or the computer? The computer asks me for a PIN or a password in order to pair it, and in the phone the app dont recognize the cube. What's wrong??

Just hit the connect button from within the app, while bluetooth is enabled. No PIN or password needed. Don't try to connect via the bluetooth settings app.

You might want to fully charge the cube, before the first connection. I saw one youtube review, where charging the cube helped

Bragtime

I know I'm late to this topic, but I personally think that the future of smart cubes are all about ease of taking the smart out of them. Now what I mean is simple: sell 6 small sensors (probably in ring shape) that fit all flagship cubes and that are easily removable. You'd theoretically only have to take them out of your cube maybe once a week to charge (or when you're competing at a comp), and that'd take only a minute or two. On top of that, any scrambler at a competition could easily do the "cheating test" where they could just pop off a center cap and see if this technology is currently being used in it. If it is, they could either disqualify the competitor or simply remove the technology and give the competitor a warning. Think though: this would allow you to use your best speedcube as a smart cube and still have it be comp legal.

Another idea is for any competitor who's using a smart cube to have the comp scrambler/delegates bluetooth pair the smart cube with their computer to make sure that it's not being viewed by the competitor before they actually inspect and solve it (since the competitor will be bluetooth disconnected from the cube).

Someone future quote me when my ideas actually become real lol.

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Hello, I have a Giiker cube now, and I want to pair it with my PC.
However, I don't have a laptop, so there's no built-in bluetooth.
Do you guys think I can connect it with a simple USB bluetooth adapter? I'm not so sure, because most say "audio" in their description.
Or is there any other possibility?

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I have a Giiker cube now, and I want to pair it with my PC.
However, I don't have a laptop, so there's no built-in bluetooth.
Do you guys think I can connect it with a simple USB bluetooth adapter? I'm not so sure, because most say "audio" in their description.
Or is there any other possibility?
Yes, you can connect it with a simple bluetooth adapter.