• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will Clock get removed as an official event?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't personally enjoy solving cubes with my feet, but I know others do, and it's unfair to take that as an official event away from people without adequate reason (which there wasn't). If an organizer thinks it's gross, nobody's making them include it in their competition. Competitors who think it's weird don't have to compete in it.
I feel like Clock is not really different from Rubiks Magic in the sense that it isn't a cubic puzzle, nor a turning puzzle. If magic got removed why didn't clock?

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like Clock is not really different from Rubiks Magic in the sense that it isn't a cubic puzzle, nor a turning puzzle. If magic got removed why didn't clock?
magic is MUCH MUCH more predictable and that's prob why it was removed,
also the solving method if you can even call it that is uninteresting and extremely short.
the clocks method is also kinda stupidly simple but at least a little less dumb.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

That's not why Magic & Master Magic were removed.

1. The WCA was formed in 2004 for the purpose of having independently run competitions, not necessarily tied to Rubik's. There were many irregularities in the 2003 World's that was run by Rubik's (time formats, how scrambles were generated, allowed puzzles, etc.) that the core community wanted to establish autonomy and run more local events in a fairer and more organized way. While many of the "Rubik's" branded puzzles did persist because they were at that 2003 event, WCA was not completely friendly with Rubik's, and fought for puzzle autonomy when Rubik's wanted only their brand to be used at the world championships in 2005 and 2007. By no means did Rubik's have any influence on the creation of the WCA.
  2. Magic was at the time a very popular event in terms of participation. By the time it was removed in 2012, 4928 competitors had a result in the event. For comparison, Pyraminx, a very popular event today, had 4390 competitors with a result by the end of 2012. Whether those competitors were actually enthused or excited for that event is another question (and overall, they probably weren't).
  3. Rubik's Magic was being mass produced by Rubik's and still is today. (https://www.rubiks.com/en-us/rubik-s-magic.html)
  4. While the triviality of the puzzle was one of the two main reasons it was removed, the far more important one that led to its removal is the incredible difficulty in judging legal timer starts and stops for such a fast event. The other two reasons you gave are just not relevant to the removal of Magic. (https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/archive/forum_topics/1013)

This quote is from a different conversation, but still relevant

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
I am pro-clock. I think that with the improved hardware now clock will become more competitive, and that’s a good thing. If I’m right, and when we can compete again clock does get more competitive, there is absolutely no reason to remove it. The last barrier to entry (good hardware) is gone, and it can start coming into its own.

Ravagerous

I am pro-clock. I think that with the improved hardware now clock will become more competitive, and that’s a good thing. If I’m right, and when we can compete again clock does get more competitive, there is absolutely no reason to remove it. The last barrier to entry (good hardware) is gone, and it can start coming into its own.
Good point.

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
like puzzles that are not turning puzzles
So we need jigsaw puzzles... /s

I assume you mean not conventional turning puzzles like the 15 puzzle. But I feel like once you get into these kinds of events there isn't much of a following and the events just get farther and farther away from a normal 3x3. Clock is already not like a normal cubic puzzle and although you can make the argument that variation is good, imo clock is getting close to the edge of too unrelated.

First of all, half of the community does not do clock, and second, why did you bump a 9-month-old thread?
I was bored but that’s not an excuse but if we do remove clock then we won’t know how many cubers will leave because they removed it.

First of all, half of the community does not do clock, and second, why did you bump a 9-month-old thread?
what I’m trying to say is if we remove clock we’re going to remove some people that like clock and also there are tons of cubers out there doing clock so if the wca removed it then there’s no way of knowing how many are going to quit.

I don’t even know why people don’t like clock

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
what I’m trying to say is if we remove clock we’re going to remove some people that like clock and also there are tons of cubers out there doing clock so if the wca removed it then there’s no way of knowing how many are going to quit.
Nobody is going to quit cubing just because Clock got removed. Do you know of anybody who quit when Feet got removed?

Nice triple post, by the way.

Nobody is going to quit cubing just because Clock got removed. Do you know of anybody who quit when Feet got removed?

Nice triple post, by the way.
Not really but clock is already a big event to some people and also we shouldn’t even be removing events anyway.

Removing events is unnecessary

Last edited by a moderator:

RoundUpCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Clock is an interesting event. I would love to see people trying out clock variants like 4x4 clock, and get it more popular and hopefully introduced to the WCA in the coming years.
4x4 clock sounds amazing! only ever solved virtual clocks, theyre fun but a bit too easy, 4x4 clock might be interesting. or 'cuboid' clocks, like 4x3? 5x2? would be very interesting!

RoundUpCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
also a bit more on topic, i recently had a conversation about this with a friend who is a delegate, and they said that there are no plans on removing clock. its a controversial event, but unlike magic its an actual puzzle that can be scrambled.