• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wiki Discussion Thread

pyrapyravince

Can someone help me in making this page? Cuz everytime i try to make it says someone is already editing it. Cross is a very important step and should be documented.

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
This sadly is a well-known issue that can't be fixed (as of now).
The Cross page and some other articles (like the ones about Gilles Roux, the wiki itself and the First Two Layers talk page) were vandalized in 2018. Some pages apparently worked again later, but others, like the Cross page, remain vandalized up to now, which is why it's showing editing conflicts despite no one else actually editing the page.
There currently doesn't seem to be any workaround (though if you know one, definitely tell pjk!), so the pages had to be moved. The old Cross page is available at Cross/old_revision while the page about Roux is at Gilles Roux/old_revision.
The best that could be done would be to get a different name, but there aren't any other generally accepted names for Cross and even if there were, searching for Cross in the search bar still gives you that broken page, so it's not a perfect workaround.

Also a small thing: For next time, please write anything related to the wiki in the Wiki Discussion Thread. It's not forbidden to create a new post or anything, but most wiki admins are subscribed to that thread, so you'd get an answer more quickly.

pyrapyravince

This sadly is a well-known issue that can't be fixed (as of now).
The Cross page and some other articles (like the ones about Gilles Roux, the wiki itself and the First Two Layers talk page) were vandalized in 2018. Some pages apparently worked again later, but others, like the Cross page, remain vandalized up to now, which is why it's showing editing conflicts despite no one else actually editing the page.
There currently doesn't seem to be any workaround (though if you know one, definitely tell pjk!), so the pages had to be moved. The old Cross page is available at Cross/old_revision while the page about Roux is at Gilles Roux/old_revision.
The best that could be done would be to get a different name, but there aren't any other generally accepted names for Cross and even if there were, searching for Cross in the search bar still gives you that broken page, so it's not a perfect workaround.

Also a small thing: For next time, please write anything related to the wiki in the Wiki Discussion Thread. It's not forbidden to create a new post or anything, but most wiki admins are subscribed to that thread, so you'd get an answer more quickly.
how about making a new page called "The Cross"?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like there should be quick links to OLL and PLL parity which is what most people are looking for. I use the lucasparity which is pretty old by now so maybe the popular alg has changed

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like there should be quick links to OLL and PLL parity which is what most people are looking for. I use the lucasparity which is pretty old by now so maybe the popular alg has changed
You mean you there be links only to those two? (Because the links to both are right there at the top.)

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
how about making a new page called "The Cross"?
I guess that's an option, but the issues I have with this are that it's not perfect because "Cross" still gives the old page, people will continue asking why the article is used and since it just doesn't fit the style of the wiki. I also don't know how we would apply that to the Gilles Roux page.
I've thought about calling it "Cross (substep)" and "Gilles Roux (person)", but it also doesn't fix the first issue.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
have you tried to ask the mediawiki support desk? they're very knowledgeable about these kind of wiki issues

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
have you tried to ask the mediawiki support desk? they're very knowledgeable about these kind of wiki issues
I think the admins found a "solution" on the MediaWiki website which sadly didn't work, but I'm not sure if they ever contacted the support desk since I wasn't active back when the vandalism happened. Maybe @pjk knows more? I think it's definitely a good idea to contact them, thanks for pointing that out, since even if they couldn't help then, perhaps a solution exists now.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
my wild guess based on what I know of databases is that there is some database lock somewhere and it needs to be manually fixed because it still thinks the page is being edited.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I noticed all the URLs are broken here @Lucas Garron :

These links:

Where do they forward now? Can you setup a 301 redirect for these, or let me know the updated URL structures? Thanks.

Someone recently asked me about this, and I didn't realize we had it. https://alg.cubing.net supplanted alg.garron.us in 2014, but I never added a redirect because I didn't think there were any significant links actively using it.

At this point, I'd recommend switching to Twizzle:
  • Remove the scheme param (alg.cubing.net never supported it properly, Twizzle doesn't support it yet).
  • Change cube= to puzzle=
  • Change animtype=solve to setup-anchor=end
  • The alg param uses normal URL param encoding (e.g. the prime symbol is not converted to -)
Example: https://alpha.twizzle.net/edit/?puzzle=2x2x2&setup-anchor=end&alg=R2+U'+R2+U2+y+R2+U'+R2

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Someone recently asked me about this, and I didn't realize we had it. https://alg.cubing.net supplanted alg.garron.us in 2014, but I never added a redirect because I didn't think there were any significant links actively using it.

• Remove the scheme param (alg.cubing.net never supported it properly, Twizzle doesn't support it yet).
  • The alg param uses normal URL param encoding (e.g. the prime symbol is not converted to -)
Example: https://alpha.twizzle.net/edit/?puzzle=2x2x2&setup-anchor=end&alg=R2+U'+R2+U2+y+R2+U'+R2
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'd suggest adding the redirects anyway for any misc. links posted over the years that are broken. Is there any downside to doing the redirect? I'll work on updating the structure on the wiki soon.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

Do you still use the stage parameter? I see you made the redirects work, great. I've also just updated the URL structure, see here for example:

Here is an example output:
https://alpha.twizzle.net/edit/?puzzle=2x2x2&stage=&setup-anchor=end&alg=y2+R2+U+R2+U2+F2+U+F2

Let me know of any other changes/suggestions. Thanks @Lucas Garron

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel