• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why are speedcubers on SpeedSolving.com so mean?

Are cubers on the forums mean?

• Yes

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 29.8%
  • Maybe a little, but it doesn't bug me.

Votes: 61 40.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

rybaby

WCA
2013PRZY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah. I take a nap and this happens? What the hell?!

Alright, let me apologize for that joke. With the topic of this thread ("boohoo, people are so mean"), that pun was just too perfect and I couldn't resist. Was one of the light-hearted ones I mentioned in the thread entirely dedicated to me and my meanness, though. Sorry, rybaby, if it went to far, I sometimes overestimate people's ability to take criticism. Look at how Yellowsnow98 responded to my "utterly..." remark (which was actually mostly serious, as I do hate that phrase, particularly the "nuff" version), he playfully took the entire blow out of my comment and gained lots of respect. One more thing I'd like to point out: I think I was pretty much the only "mean" one here (and only with that one joke). Otherwise, I most likely would've been less. I did several times go *against* mobs harassing newcomers here, so I'm not all lost. Oh and I'm 36.

I don't recall anyone else ever doing that.

Thank you Stefan. I finally understand everyone now :). As for the Minh Thai comment, maybe invalidate isn't the right word.....I just sense an assumption by many that the wr wasn't really a good indicator of the fastest times in that 21 year period. Oh and btw, you are one of the oldest cubists (ers) I know of besides Ron van Bruchem.

Cheers

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You shouldn't get annoyed with beginners because when you were a beginner someone helped you at some point. I'm using you as a term meaning anyone.

One issue is that when the many forum and/or cubing "veterans" were beginners, there were far less resources out there. Many of the veterans around here are the creators of the resources we have now. It can be annoying to see beginners enter into this hobby with so many resources available, and still we're always seeing posts/threads like "help i know 4LLL and avg. 35 sec how i get faster", "is Panshi best cube", "wats ur fav lube for ur fav cube", and more.

There are many posts either showing a lack of using the search function, Google, or common sense. Too many people are asking to be spoon fed the information that they could easily find through searching and applying the knowledge they find.

And then there are some users who are simply sarcastic, blunt, or negative because they want to be. If someone's truly being mean, you can report them and let the mods deal with it. If you don't like someone's attitude or troll-like behavoir, you can ignore them. Don't feed the trolls, and they will starve of boredom. :p

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol. I saw the first part of the title and I thought it said why are people always on the forums.

Some people are mean: lolben, username can be a pain sometimes, and others. But most are pretty nice.

BaconCuber

I've never really experienced much meanness at all. I try to post completely unique posts, which I don't do very often.

Patrick M

WCA
2009MILL05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think people on the forums are just a little annoyed by people that want to have their answers served on a silver platter instead of searching, and mostly that's it. I mean it does save time to just look for your answer first before posting, yet even I need to just answer the question and then tell them of the awesome search feature. And to use it... Lots of people are courteous on this site, and for that, I am thankful.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, let me apologize for that joke. With the topic of this thread ("boohoo, people are so mean"), that pun was just too perfect and I couldn't resist. Was one of the light-hearted ones I mentioned in the thread entirely dedicated to me and my meanness, though. Sorry, rybaby, if it went to far, I sometimes overestimate people's ability to take criticism. Look at how Yellowsnow98 responded to my "utterly..." remark (which was actually mostly serious, as I do hate that phrase, particularly the "nuff" version), he playfully took the entire blow out of my comment and gained lots of respect. One more thing I'd like to point out: I think I was pretty much the only "mean" one here (and only with that one joke). Otherwise, I most likely would've been less. I did several times go *against* mobs harassing newcomers here, so I'm not all lost. Oh and I'm 36.

Yeah, people take the same words in different ways. It's like that in communication. Even more chance of misunderstanding when all you have are words without tone or body language.

Ok 36 then. I'm 32. Close enough, considering most everyone else is <20.

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
My guess;

It's mean because conversation used to be more constructive.
The average age and IQ have certainly dropped around here, and older members recent newer members for it.

Seeing all of the stupid spam is very very frustrating.

Please do not stereotype the younger generations. It isn't just the teens that are unconstructive.

Nobody ever deserves abuse.

I agree 100%.

Speed has nothing to do with it. It's been said many times already.

I wouldn't say it has nothing at all to do with it. Nobody wants to try a method that has no sub 20 or even sub 15 solvers. Some may even move this down to sub 10. When any method first starts out, theres not going to be people getting that fast with it, and nobody will care about it until the creator themselves can prove it can be good. This is almost unfair because you do not necessarily have to be fast to make (or whatever you want to call it) a new method.

And you are the nicest.

I'd say your being pretty nice too posting that. Keep up the good work. :tu

These are things that should not happen in the first place, therefore the people acting with this behaviour are the cause of the problem.

Arguing is not constructive. Btw, it takes two people (or more) to argue. I really don't want this to sound hypocritical, but there's no other way to put it. You saying he is the problem is adding you to the problem.

You shouldn't get annoyed with beginners because when you were a beginner someone helped you at some point. I'm using you as a term meaning anyone.

Exactly! Rather than tell someone to use the search function, tell them how so they don't post a something you deem das dumb again. While your at it, you may aswell show them how to delete their post. The first day I joined, I didn't know these things.

This is silly thread. We should delete it and forget about it.

Well, it wouldn't hurt for some people here to learn something from this.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't say it has nothing at all to do with it. Nobody wants to try a method that has no sub 20 or even sub 15 solvers. Some may even move this down to sub 10. When any method first starts out, theres not going to be people getting that fast with it, and nobody will care about it until the creator themselves can prove it can be good. This is almost unfair because you do not necessarily have to be fast to make (or whatever you want to call it) a new method.

I was referring to rybaby's comment about not being treated nicely at a competition because of speed.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Arguing is not constructive.

THIS IS SO UNBELIEVABLY FALSE.

That's like saying apples are not green. Plenty of arguments are constructive and plenty of arguments are not. On this forum, they are constructive most of the time. There are few things more valuable to someone trying to learn about a topic than seeing knowledgeable people argue different sides of it.