• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's your best/worst idea for a competition-illegal cube?

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So not too long ago I started getting back into speedsolving. Been working a lot on 2x2, bought a new 5x5, and I'm also getting my first 6x6 and 7x7 for my birthday coming up in less than a week. As you might imagine, one of the things I've done recently is go through the WCA website to look for competitions in my area. While I was there, I decided to read through the regulations, since it's been a while since I've looked at them.

And Rule 3d2 in particular caught my eye. "The colors of the colored parts must be solid, with one uniform color per face. Each color must be clearly distinct from the other colors."

Welp, so much for waltzing into a competition with a cube that has 6 different shades of blue on it. adds 3x3 and 6 shades of blue stickers to cart on The Cubicle

:)

So that got me thinking. What other kinds of garbage puzzles can you make that you wouldn't be allowed to use in competitions?

U

Underwatercuber

Lots of out of the box or unsetup clocks are illegal, also I believe 3h2a technically makes clocks in general illegal :p

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
These can't be genuine Rubik's Cubes. The original ones were great quality and would definitely be acceptable. There were lots of Wonderful Puzzlers though which were poor.View attachment 11094
That might have been true in the UK, but I can personally vouch for the fact that the two cubes I bought here in the US in 1981 (distributed by Ideal) were of very poor quality. I still have two of them, and they rattle from the loose pieces when you pick them up. I assume they would have been considered genuine Rubik's Cubes, since they were officially licensed to Ideal.