• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What the Seven Towns Copyright Covers

1LastSolve

YouTube
Visit Channel
First, spreading misinformation is always bad. If you're unsure of anything, if it's information based on rumors or from unverified sources (like CBC, for example!) than make it abundantly clear that the information shouldn't be treated as fact.

CBC is not a reliable source.

Just because you don't know of any white cubes that have been confiscated does not mean they can't or won't. How many cases do we even know of having occurred within the last few months? ONE?! So of the ONE confirmed event, there weren't any white cubes confiscated. That tells us absolutely NOTHING about whether or not white cubes will be affected. Ditto for DIY.

Again, the copyright laws are sufficiently vague, and on top of that, the law is applied in a seemingly arbitrary manner. Anyone saying "x is affected and y isn't" don't know what they're talking about, because, at this point, nobody does. Again, I've only heard of the single instance of a cube being destroyed. Absolutely no hard and fast conclusions can be made from that information.

k Imma stahp listening to CBC

I bought a ShengShou Aurora from wallbuys. Will it get destroyed? :( It's been 2 weeks and it's not here. That's normal from China, riiiggghhht?

EDIT: assembled and black :/

If it was taken, then you should have a notice in the mail. If not, its just slow shipping or the post office or airmail losing the item. There may be something else than happened.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just that it says 2 weeks doesnt actually mean 2 weeks... my first experience with a chinese wholesale site was with lightake buying the ss v1 (piece of crap, but thats irrelephant) and it took over 2 months. I wouldn't worry unless its like 4 months... lol

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I sent another email out a few weeks back asking what products specifically infringe on their products, and recently received this response (the first one I've ever received):
All black cubes with 2, 3, 4 or 5 parts are often infringing our designrigts. Please see www.rubiks.com for all our genuine Rubik Cubes.

A vague, unhelpful answer unfortunately. I'm not sure how they expect the community to help them with this issue with so little support from their end.

Last edited:

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
I sent another email out a few weeks back asking what products specifically infringe on their products, and recently received this response (the first one I've ever received):

A vague, unhelpful answer unfortunately. I'm not sure how they expect the community to help them with this issue with so little support from their end.

Wait, so they think that every black 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 infringes on their copyrights? Jeeeesus...

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
They're definitely keeping it as loose as they can but at least we appear to have confirmation that white cubes *shouldn't* be affected...thanks pjk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19792

If shades of the colours are affected, guess what. No black n3x3s should be affected since the colours are more dull

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, so they think that every black 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 infringes on their copyrights? Jeeeesus...
NO, they say that
All black cubes with 2, 3, 4 or 5 parts are often infringing our designrigts. Please see www.rubiks.com for all our genuine Rubik Cubes.
Learn to read before you call Jeeeesus

They're definitely keeping it as loose as they can but at least we appear to have confirmation that white cubes *shouldn't* be affected...thanks pjk

It might appear that way, but even that cannot be the conclusion from their statement. They never said that white is legal or illegal.

Their statement is something like "shooting someone is often illegal. Please check when killing is legal by yourself"
(white cubes might be like stabbing something)

This is basically Seven Towns PR+Legal giving a technically correct answer without saying anything useful as pjk nicely pointed out.

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
Sounds like they're being intentionally vague about what is covered. They're not dumb enough to show their cards before the betting takes place. Keep in mind that these laws are not cut and dry. They have some idea of what they think the copyright should cover, and they have some idea of what they can reasonably argue in court, and these two things are not necessarily the same.

Giving information on what they could potentially litigate would only give their rivals opportunity to get around those restrictions.

CubezUBR

WCA
2013SAUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i cba to read all these pages so forgive me but if i got a 2x4x4 from somewhere assembled and stickered and in a box that dosent mention the "r word" anywhere on it. will it be seized. if so thats complete and utter BS. RUBIKS' DOSENT EVEN MAKE 2x4x4's!!! how are we going to buy any twisty puzzle other than 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and all the other bad products from rubiks. i think that as long as a cube dosent say R..... on it it is fine and if its not even something rubiks make then no questions asked... complete and utter BS

also,
has anyone got reliable evidence that a cube has been destroyed by customs yet?

Last edited:

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i cba to read all these pages so forgive me but if i got a 2x4x4 from somewhere assembled and stickered and in a box that dosent mention the "r word" anywhere on it. will it be seized. if so thats complete and utter BS. RUBIKS' DOSENT EVEN MAKE 2x4x4's!!! how are we going to buy any twisty puzzle other than 3x3x3, 4x4x4 and all the other bad products from rubiks. i think that as long as a cube dosent say R..... on it it is fine and if its not even something rubiks make then no questions asked... complete and utter BS

also,
has anyone got reliable evidence that a cube has been destroyed by customs yet?

It will probably not be seized if it is shipped from within your country, but I cannot say for sure if it will be siezed if it is an international shipment though because it depends on what country, customs procedures and the like. Btw, I have a feeling you meant 2x2x4, in which case Rubik's did make 2x2x4s (they may still be idk for sure) though I'm not too sure of that :p.

13233624950.jpg

Attachments

• 13233624950.jpg
    13233624950.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

CubezUBR

WCA
2013SAUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It will probably not be seized if it is shipped from within your country, but I cannot say for sure if it will be siezed if it is an international shipment though because it depends on what country, customs procedures and the like. Btw, I have a feeling you meant 2x2x4, in which case Rubik's did make 2x2x4s (they may still be idk for sure) though I'm not too sure of that :p.

13233624950.jpg
no, i didnt mean 2x2x4, i meant 2x4x4 http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1709.