• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What should I work on for the 3x3? (fridrich method)

WCA
2012ROCK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
First let me say this is my first thread so If I posted this in the wrong place or anything please tell me.

Ok, so I have been cubing for about 5 months. I average about 25 seconds. I have practiced hours everyday. I have not improved. I know to look ahead I know I do have to work more one that. But here is my break down.
Cross 3
F2L 12
Last Layer 10

I use 3 look last layer. It takes me between 5 to 15 seconds for it depending on the cases I have. My F2L feels good but it could be better. I'm not really sure what to work on to get the sub 20. So should I work on my last layer or still F2L? I sometimes look at the timer when I finish F2l and it mostly at 11 to 15 seconds but when I do Oll it's to late and passed 20 seconds. So Any help on how to fully improve?

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, Specs and Ishmam said it. Your last layer is atrocious. While I use full OLL and PLL, my 2LOLL is around 3 seconds, and all my PLLs are sub-2. Work on recognition of PLLs, and get them all sub-2, and as many as you can sub-1. You should have about a 2:1 ratio for CF to OP.

NoobyCuby

CF to OP is 2 to 1, and your CF takes 14.
Therefore, you're 2 look oll and full pll should take 7 seconds
altogether! :D

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Yes your last layer is holding you back. Are you recognising cases without AUFing? Look at some basic 2-sided PLL recognition. Also make sure you are keeping LL rotations to a minimum with U/U'/U2.
And it might be worth looking at picking up a few of the easier OLLs
Good luck!

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try timing all your PLLs, try to get them to at most ~3 seconds. Maybe you could list your algs and average times with them, and we could comment or suggest better algs.

WCA
2012ROCK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try timing all your PLLs, try to get them to at most ~3 seconds. Maybe you could list your algs and average times with them, and we could comment or suggest better algs.

That's a good Idea I might have to do that. Most of my Algs came from badmephisto and cubefreak.net. I have a few that are sub 3 but not sub 2.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
First thanks for the help you guys. And second my G, R, z, h, F, E and N are not sub 3 so guess I'm going to work on them. How about OLL how do I practice them? by Drilling them?

If you use Prisma Puzzle Timer, then go onto the 'Fridrich - OLL Training' category, and that gives you scrambles that scramble only the last layer (the same scrambler I use for my LL comp). Then, you can train your OLL's / LL's. The PLL scrambler does the same thing, but maintains the orientation of the U face. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The H and Z perms should be some of the fastest PLL's. Do you use the slice algorithms?

WCA
2012ROCK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you use Prisma Puzzle Timer, then go onto the 'Fridrich - OLL Training' category, and that gives you scrambles that scramble only the last layer (the same scrambler I use for my LL comp). Then, you can train your OLL's / LL's. The PLL scrambler does the same thing, but maintains the orientation of the U face. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The H and Z perms should be some of the fastest PLL's. Do you use the slice algorithms?

alright, Cool. Their is a problem I use linux so I don't think I can use the Prisma Puzzle Timer. Also My H perm is sub 3 I don't know the Z perm that use M. What is your Alg for it?