• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What does it take to be sub-15 and faster?

MarkA64

In my case I have been on the verge of sub-20 for months now, with hundreds if not thousands of sub 20 solves and a number of sub 15 solves (and some 13 sec fullsteps).

Yet, I would say a normal average for me is ~20 seconds.

I think it really comes down to what your actual maximum human potential is that you are born with - so I'm talking about genetics.

Why are some people so good at fighting games? This is a good example because that genre of gaming requires a fast reaction time.

Now of course it also comes down to tons of practice, but I think there is an independent limit for each person as to how fast they can potentially get. That's what I think anyway.

So what do you all think? And let's assume hardware isn't a factor because we all probably have good cubes.

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
2LLL
Efficient F2L, try solving it in around 30-35 moves with 0-3 rotations on average(not during FMC, but during a speedsolve)
Have your algs drilled
Be able to recognize cases quickly
Don't pause in your F2L. If you have to, then turn slower in order to prevent pauses. Then you can gradually raise TPS, while still looking ahead enough to prevent pauses
Practice

Don't blame your genetics. assuming you are a young, healthy human, you are perfectly capable of sub-15. It may take more time than it took others, but you can absolutely do it

MarkA64

Don't be so sure. I'm an alien(from mars), and @WoowyBaby is from Neptune. There's more of us then you know

But being serious, more emphasis on the young, healthy part.

LOL at this discussion...

Yeah I'd say I fit the criteria since I've had success in the fighting game scene due to my fast reactions.

I think being fast at cube is a matter of perception. One person can perceive and be able to manipulate a cube FAR differently from someone else.

Also no blaming, but genetics and perception are really topics.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
how long have you been cubing? I've been cubing for 3 years and average sub 9 (I used to practice a LOT.) Several top speedcubers have been cubing for 10+ years. I would estimate I've done close to 100000 lifetime solves on a 3x3. I honestly think any healthy human can average sub 15 with enough practice and good practice. One thing some people don't realize is you can actually turn really slowly to solve a 3x3 in 15 seconds (that is, if you have good efficiency and lookahead.) I don't think everybody has the potential to become sub 7 seconds but I think if you keep practicing and maybe watch some videos on how to effectively practice you can be sub 15 in a couple months

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah i learnt 1 & 2nd layer in early 2018 but i didn't learn LL until December 2018 lol
Pretty much everybordy can get sub 10 with a lot of practice, but after that it gets quite hard
i recently got sub 15 (2 months ago) and now i avg 13.5

Jezzular

I think it all comes down to genetics in the end. There are some talented cubers out there, who reached my times in a few months. I trained a lot. 2 hours a day over 3 years. I learned algs. I relearned them for better finger tricks. I do slow solves. I analyse my solves. I train look ahead. I look at solve reconstructions of pros and try to get better solutions. I try to avoid cube rotations etc etc etc. But i am barely sub 15 (Ao100 is 16.x).
Sure I think I can still improve. But I think there is a limit for me (sub10? sub9?). Look at some famous Cubers like Chris Hardwick. He is cubing for decades and his best Ao5 in a Comp is 13.34. I think I would get similar times if I would practice full time the next 10 years. But I think sub10 is out of reach. And if the barrier is not sub10 then sub9 or sub8. But I think it is genetically impossible for me to get times that Pros have.

Apolo

"I think it really comes down to what your actual maximum human potential is that you are born with - so I'm talking about genetics. " - Maybe there are genetics but everyone can be sub 10: You need to know where are your flaws and solve them

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I think it all comes down to genetics in the end. There are some talented cubers out there, who reached my times in a few months. I trained a lot. 2 hours a day over 3 years. I learned algs. I relearned them for better finger tricks. I do slow solves. I analyse my solves. I train look ahead. I look at solve reconstructions of pros and try to get better solutions. I try to avoid cube rotations etc etc etc. But i am barely sub 15 (Ao100 is 16.x).
Sure I think I can still improve. But I think there is a limit for me (sub10? sub9?). Look at some famous Cubers like Chris Hardwick. He is cubing for decades and his best Ao5 in a Comp is 13.34. I think I would get similar times if I would practice full time the next 10 years. But I think sub10 is out of reach. And if the barrier is not sub10 then sub9 or sub8. But I think it is genetically impossible for me to get times that Pros have.

It doesn't come down to genetics. Not everyone can be sub-7(or possibly sub-10), but for any decently young and healthy person(if your older, it may become harder, although it very well still could be possible), but almost everybody can be sub-15. Stop complaining about your genetics and practice. Yes, you may never get sub-7, but you can become sub-15 if you're committed.