• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What 5x5 method do you use?

What 5x5 method do you use

• Total voters

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
When I freeslice, tbh I don't care about the edges that I pair up, because that would make it harder to do. However many f2l edges i solve in freeslice, I try to insert the pair. If there is no adjacent edge, I insert a top colour edge into the back instead, and do 3x3 with 3 pairs left after I finish edges, so I get the best of both variants

Waffles

When I freeslice, tbh I don't care about the edges that I pair up, because that would make it harder to do. However many f2l edges i solve in freeslice, I try to insert the pair. If there is no adjacent edge, I insert a top colour edge into the back instead, and do 3x3 with 3 pairs left after I finish edges, so I get the best of both variants

Yeah, I do that too. I also make the 4th cross piece in the cross stage and ‘attach’ it to a solved center. It helps me with lookahead moving into the edge pairing stage

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
Yeah, I do that too. I also make the 4th cross piece in the cross stage and ‘attach’ it to a solved center. It helps me with lookahead moving into the edge pairing stage
I dont do that for big cubes because the 3rd centre is difficult and more inefficient, which makes one of yau's weaknesses even weaker, but that's just my opinion

Waffles

My reasoning is that I can get better lookahead into centres if I’m already turning and have planned the final edge, however often I find it is easier to do edge pairing if I don’t have a 35 second pause trying to find all the pieces in the final cross edge.

I do agree that it’s probably a worse approach, but it works for me better than just making it in edge pairing. Plus it means I can just forget all the filters I had in place from before.

(If I have crappy typing, I’m on my phone in the car, and song number 69 on the playlist was Baby Shark. So I’m not in a good mood either.

xyzzy

Well, you could freeslice with just 2 edges,
That's not "bad", but more importantly it's also not freeslice. The whole point of freeslice is having four free slots, which you can only maintain up to the eighth edge. With Yau, this means you only get to freeslice the 4th/5th through 8th edges. (You could also count the cross edges as free slicing I guess, but I'd rather think of that as direct solving.) Beyond that, how you want to handle L4E is up to you.

The method where you slice to pair up two edge pieces, throw in something else to form another edge pair, repeat until done, is basically the best human-viable L4E method in terms of efficiency, regardless of whether you use plain redux, Yau, or Yau5. You can optimise it a little here and there (e.g. with L2E algs) but it's already a very solid method on its own. This method is often called "cycles" or "cycling" in recent times. Exclusively using slice-flip-slice in L4E gets horrendously inefficient.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
i use cn hoya for 4x4-7x7

honestly i think hoya is heavily underrated
Hoya is pretty novel and I like the way the solves look

Also, I will say that Ciaran Behan has been able to prove that Yau can be just as good on big cubes as Redux, so its not as much of a question of which is better but which one is more enjoyable.