• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 5x5 Ghost Cube - Layer by Layer Method for Centers

Galva101

I have built a 5x5 Ghost Cube using Joachim Solborg's 3D Printable Extensions.
I am however a bit lost when it comes to solving it, I have the following question:

Is there a way to solve a 5x5 Supercube's Front, Left, Right and Back centers layer by layer?

As you can see in the picture, these centers are split into three parts each, and they share no continuity across a face, so I could only solve these layer by layer, before going into the remaining 3x3 reduction.
Is there a method that would work for these centers (and their corresponding edges) or a set of algorithms to solve these parts? The top and bottom edges and faces should not be a problem.

5x5 preview.jpg

DerpBoiMoon

I have built a 5x5 Ghost Cube using Joachim Solborg's 3D Printable Extensions.
I am however a bit lost when it comes to solving it, I have the following question:

Is there a way to solve a 5x5 Supercube's Front, Left, Right and Back centers layer by layer?

As you can see in the picture, these centers are split into three parts each, and they share no continuity across a face, so I could only solve these layer by layer, before going into the remaining 3x3 reduction.
Is there a method that would work for these centers (and their corresponding edges) or a set of algorithms to solve these parts? The top and bottom edges and faces should not be a problem.

View attachment 11386
what have i seen?

Galva101

Using SMB Puzzles' Supercube Tutorial I have now come up with a set of algorithms that should work for any 5x5 Supercube, including the Ghost version:
  1. Counterclockwise Center-Edge 3-Cycle across two Faces:
    This swaps the Front Face’s Top Middle Centerpiece to the Top Face’s Right Middle Position,
    and that part to the Top Middle Position. M Means the middle slice is turned Downwards. \[ M\;F\;r’\;F’\;M’\;F\;r’\;F’ \]
  2. Counterclockwise Center-Edge 3-Cycle on one Face:
    This algorithm cycles the Top Face’s Top Middle centerpiece to the Bottom Middle slot, and
    that piece to the Middle Right Position. Cycle refers to the Counterclockwise Center-Edge
    3-Cycle across two Faces: \[ (Cycle)\;U’\;(Cycle)\;(U) \]
  3. Double adjacent Center-Edge Swap:
    This algorithm swaps the the Top Face’s Top and the Right Center-Edge pair, as well as the
    Bottom and the Left pair: \[ (Cycle)\;U’\;(Cycle)\;(Cycle)\;U’\;(Cycle)\;U2 \]
  4. Counterclockwise Center-Corner 3-Cycle across two Faces:
    This algorithm cycles the Top Left Center Cubie from the Top Face to the Top Left Slot of
    the Front Face, and that part in turn to the Top Right slot of the Top Face. (This is the
    classical large-cube-face-solving algorithm) It preserves everything apart from these 3 cubies,
    it is thus particularly useful for the 5x5 Ghost Cube. \[ l\;F\;r’\;F’\;l’\;F\;r\;F’ \]
  5. Clockwise Center-Corner 3-Cycle across two Faces:
    This algorithm cycles the Top Right Center Cubie from the Top Face to the Top Right Slot
    of the Front Face, and that part in turn to the Top Left slot of the Top Face. \[ r’\;F’l\;F\;r\;F’\;l’\;F \]
  6. Clockwise Center-Corner 3-Cycle on one Face:
    This algorithm cycles the Top Face’s Center-Corners counter clockwise (Top Left to Bottom
    Right, and then to Top Right):
    Cycle refers to the Counterclockwise Center Cubie 3-Cycle across two Faces \[ (Cycle)\;U’\;(Cycle)\;U \]
  7. Flip a block of centerpieces by 180 degrees:
    Turning multiple layers together for the R turns will determine how wide of a top center area
    is being rotated by 180 degrees. The U turns are always just the top layer alone.
    This algorithm is particularly useful if a three cycle can not restore the cross of Center-Edges. \[ R\;2U\;R\;2U\;R\;2U\;R\;2U\;R \]

Last edited:

Want to hide this ad and support the community?