• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

We need better judges.

Do you agree?

• Strongly disagree

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • Agree

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Strongly agree.

Votes: 37 21.6%

• Total voters
WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know how in the beginning of a comp we have a new competitor tutorial...Just like that we should have a tutorial for people who want to volunteer as a judge
Its been suggested before and it seems to be all we can do other then having a paper telling the basics. I also think that as somebody hinted at this, once you have about 5-7 good judges who go to lots of the comps in the area, they can try finding someone to start training till we have 30+ people who would be of being staff at a big comp.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Its been suggested before and it seems to be all we can do other then having a paper telling the basics. I also think that as somebody hinted at this, once you have about 5-7 good judges who go to lots of the comps in the area, they can try finding someone to start training till we have 30+ people who would be of being staff at a big comp.
However if you have a group of people who are the judges for competitions then they feel abliged to judge, I like the fact that at comps I can judge when I don't feel like practising and not all the time, I think that it would be a good idea to have a sheet telling you how to judge a solve properly but not to discourage people from judging

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
However if you have a group of people who are the judges for competitions then they feel abliged to judge, I like the fact that at comps I can judge when I don't feel like practising and not all the time, I think that it would be a good idea to have a sheet telling you how to judge a solve properly but not to discourage people from judging
Well it will would be more of a thing of wanting to help if they got to that level. You would get to a level where you love the community so much that you want to. There will always be the people like you and tbh sometimes me, who help out some, but don't devote them selves to it, and that's fine. The sheet I was talking about is a thing over hear where I live.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know how in the beginning of a comp we have a new competitor tutorial...Just like that we should have a tutorial for people who want to volunteer as a judge?

This honestly fixes 90% of the issues with poor judging quality. I used to teach new judges on the spot, and there's always something you'll miss. If you just hold 3x3 first thing in the morning, nearly everyone will be there, and you can teach everyone in one go, and have much higher quality judging.

Well it will would be more of a thing of wanting to help if they got to that level. You would get to a level where you love the community so much that you want to. There will always be the people like you and tbh sometimes me, who help out some, but don't devote them selves to it, and that's fine. The sheet I was talking about is a thing over hear where I live.

Competitors don't have an option to not judge if they are asked to do so. If holding a judge training session doesn't create enough volunteer judges, which it almost always does, that doesn't mean you can't enlist more people to help.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ompetitors don't have an option to not judge if they are asked to do so. If holding a judge training session doesn't create enough volunteer judges, which it almost always does, that doesn't mean you can't enlist more people to help.
Sure you can make them help, but are they gonna be as good as if they volunteered. If it was just randomly asking them, they won't be, but if you do the thing where you judge for each round you compete, I think that most of them will be good enough.

ThisBoi

Just wanted to bring something up.

We need better judges. Maybe we don't need to do the test I was talking about, but down here in the south, we suck at judges. At Crossroads, I saw many Judges sign their name on the score card before I even did my solve! I could easily wright something down, and even if you guys call BS, he/she is still lying that the approve of a time that is non-existent. Another thing, He fixed it, but someone wrote 16.x .+2 =19.x . If I hadn't noticed it, I would have got a 19 instead of a 18. My friend, John Albright also caught a little girl judging fall asleep (Will try to get the footage.) Like c'mon guys, we need to get all that stuff fixed. This also ties into my post about not warming up with cubes. Any thoughts on this?

Edit: Someone said something that made me think of another thing that happened. Someone said 8 secs when it had been about two and 12 when It had been about four.
I once had a judge who told me i dint reach cutoff and then i went back to my table and everyone was like WhY dId YouU LEaVE

WCA
2013ZWER01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Only so much can be done about it. Judges are often just volunteers. I agree that a seminar at the beginning of every comp would be good.

Another option is to have "staff", who are trained. The type of thing that is at nats and worlds. I guess their compensation could be competing for free?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last year when I was at comp, they said ten seconds instead of eight and 12 seconds like normal. 10 seconds? Is that normal?
No, it violates the regulations. Hopefully the delegate noticed and eventually corrected the judges.
  • A3d) At the end of the inspection, the competitor places the puzzle on the mat, in any orientation. Penalty for placing it outside the mat: time penalty (+2 seconds).
    • A3d2) When 8 seconds of inspection have elapsed, the judge calls "8 SECONDS".
    • A3d3) When 12 seconds of inspection have elapsed, the judge calls "12 SECONDS".
Edit: Actually, if you should happen to see something like this while competing, where you're sure it's not following the rules, it's always best to inform a delegate that it's happening right after your solve. That way the delegate can correct the mistake as soon as possible and minimize the negative impact on other competitors.

Last edited:

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
where you're sure it's not following the rules
Or if you are unsure of the rules. Don't always take the judges word for it. Also, if you know the regulations, don't be afraid to say that somebody is wrong. At one comp, I stopped the timer on 5x5, and the judge wasn't sure what to do, so he got the delegate (good job on him) and the delegate said it was a plus 2. I argued that I knew that that wasn't a plus 2 and asked him to check. I didn't get a plus 2.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Last year when I was at comp, they said ten seconds instead of eight and 12 seconds like normal. 10 seconds? Is that normal?
That hasn't been normal since 2008. However, before that, the judge used to call 10 seconds.

Please inform a delegate whenever you see the regulations not being followed.

D1zzy

I agree, one judge was talking to me during my solve (distracting in the first place) and told me that I should DNF the solve because I messed up the cube accidentally because of my nerves. He also wrote my time down incorrectly for that solve. I just think that the judging training session needs to be more thorough and precise about the some of the more uncommon rules. I also think that they could have a few groups of judging tutorials at comps so they can ask and answer questions without being put on the spot like it is when there is one big group.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree, one judge was talking to me during my solve (distracting in the first place) and told me that I should DNF the solve because I messed up the cube accidentally because of my nerves. He also wrote my time down incorrectly for that solve. I just think that the judging training session needs to be more thorough and precise about the some of the more uncommon rules. I also think that they could have a few groups of judging tutorials at comps so they can ask and answer questions without being put on the spot like it is when there is one big group.
That sounds like a pretty bad case. Did you alert the delegate?
Most of the time the bad judge just needs a little instruction and then is fine.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Next time it happens remember to talk with delegate, he will give you an extra solve

LightFlame_

The Andromeda Galaxy (Over The Garden Wall)
WCA
2016OCAE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just random... how did "nub" even originate?

Beginner/ new person -> newbie -> noob -> nub? TBH that's p ******* re******* for an etymology.

i'm pretty sure nub is someone that is fast but intentionally acts noobie (if that's even a word) in their ways. like an example is derpy cuber.