• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Was your competition canceled because of the Coronavirus?

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Was going to go to a comp, didn't end up getting to go for other reasons...
Anyway, in Nebraska, there are only 13 people with Coronavirus, and yet the school principal was considering shutting down school for the next week and us doing classes from home. It didn't end up happening, but it got close and we don't know if it's going be cancelled or when.
In any case, I don't see why everyone is making a big deal of Coronavirus. Shutting down a competition because of Coronavirus concerns makes sense near Wuhan or some place with a high concentration of patients, say, over 0.1%, but people postponing and/or shutting down everything because of one virus is kind of unwise in my opinion.
I'm just saying that if people would just realize that they can't contain the virus at this point and that it's going to be an annual thing, people would stop freaking out, and there should be no reason to worry.
Anyone who has read this is free to disagree, but I'm simply stating my opinion.
(Also, in case you're wondering, we have enough toilet paper to last us through August.)

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Was going to go to a comp, didn't end up getting to go for other reasons...
Anyway, in Nebraska, there are only 13 people with Coronavirus, and yet the school principal was considering shutting down school for the next week and us doing classes from home. It didn't end up happening, but it got close and we don't know if it's going be cancelled or when.
In any case, I don't see why everyone is making a big deal of Coronavirus. Shutting down a competition because of Coronavirus concerns makes sense near Wuhan or some place with a high concentration of patients, say, over 0.1%, but people postponing and/or shutting down everything because of one virus is kind of unwise in my opinion.
I'm just saying that if people would just realize that they can't contain the virus at this point and that it's going to be an annual thing, people would stop freaking out, and there should be no reason to worry.
Anyone who has read this is free to disagree, but I'm simply stating my opinion.
(Also, in case you're wondering, we have enough toilet paper to last us through August.)

There's a lot that's concerning about your post, and I highly encourage you to read through the other COVID-19 related thread here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/coronavirus-with-cubes.76630/

Additionally, this is one of the more informative videos I've seen about why this virus is scary, and may explain why even 13 people infected in your state (not counting unconfirmed cases) is highly concerning:

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also please read the announcement on the WCA website:

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is in Italy I assume? I hope everything is alright for you guys over there, with the curfews and all that.

No, actually I live in Luxembourg now, the comp was Luxembourg Pi Day 2020. Comps in Italy were cancelled 10 days ago - not a coincidence that, looking at the numbers, Italy seems to be around 10 days ahead of the other big European countries. I think the rest of Europe is moving towards the same kind of restrictions soon.

My family and friends in Italy are ok, thanks for asking. Staying home for a long period is not so bad when you have internet and phones.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dang all the good comps that I’ve been looking forward to (cuz they had clock and fmc) have been or are definitely going to be cancelled. Sucks cuz I’ve gotten much better since my last comps.

I’m scared that Omaha Virtual Cubing 2020 will get cancelled because of COVID-19. I don’t get a ton of comps in my area, and the ones that are at least somewhat close (3ish hours) my parents don’t want to drive to. It‘ll be my first comp since October and I would really not like to have to wait longer, but if I must I will. It’s one of two USA comps for March 21-22nd that hasn’t been cancelled yet, so maybe that’s a good sign.

kubesolver

Premium Member
I don't see why everyone is making a big deal of Coronavirus
Consider the following statement:

"When solving a cube the more moves you make the more time it takes so the fastest method will be the one that solves cube in the smallest number of moves.
I don't see why everyone is using move inefficient methods"

It's very logical and yet terribly wrong. It might be someone's opinion. Doesn't make it right in any way.
The real conclusion should be that if all top cubers are doing something that my 5 minutes of logical thinking proves wrong then something is wrong either with my logic or some of my assumptions. Not they are obviously wrong.
Think about it

UMD is closed, so any SNS competitions for a little while will most likely be canceled. I live in Virginia, my county is closed until April 16, and all Virginia schools are closed for a minimum of two weeks, so any competitions held in a school cafeteria/gym will also be closed. I'm pretty sure that Maryland is in a similar situation, so a lot of Northeast comps will probably cancelled in the relatively near future as the situation gets worse. And I'm hearing rumors the the VA governor is planning a state-wide quarantine.

There's a lot that's concerning about your post, and I highly encourage you to read through the other COVID-19 related thread here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/coronavirus-with-cubes.76630/

Additionally, this is one of the more informative videos I've seen about why this virus is scary, and may explain why even 13 people infected in your state (not counting unconfirmed cases) is highly concerning:
(Sorry for the double post, but this is not related to my last comment.)

Anyway, here's what people need to consider: COVID-19 attacks the lungs. We will soon run out of breathing tubes in hospitals. What will the US do then? We are way behind other countries in terms of out capacity to test cases. And the virus is dormant for several days before symptoms appear.

Here is a graph from r/dataisbeautiful, on reddit (admittedly a couple days behind): 1584201814492.png
What this image means is that the US is going to (almost certainly) be at a similar scale to Italy within a matter of days. On a much larger scale. And the estimated number of true cases is much, much, much higher. @Kit Clement, you made a point when you said "may explain why even 13 people infected in your state (not counting unconfirmed cases) is highly concerning." That is because if there are 13 confirmed cases, the actual number of cases is more likely in the thousands.

People who think "It's just like the Flu, nothing to worry about", you all are wrong. To lots of people, this virus can cause the patient to have pneumonia, or pneumonia-like symptoms. Maybe you, myself included, are young and at no risk. But surely you know somebody who is at risk. Even if they just have something as simple and common as asthma, they are at risk. Why put their lives in danger? The WCA cancelling competitions, while might seem like an overreaction, is actually better for us all in the long term.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Announced by Lauren Clement on Saturday, March 14, 2020, 1:16 AM EDT
Dear WCA Community,

Today, the WCA Board met in an emergency Board meeting to decide how to address the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and what we can do to help minimize the spread. The Board of Directors have agreed upon the following approach.

Out of an abundance of caution, Delegates have been requested to cancel all WCA Competitions even when the holding of the competition does not contravene any local government or health organization directives for competitions held between March 17th and April 19th.

Competitions that are held will be required to take extreme measures of care to help mitigate and prevent the spread of the virus including, but not limited to:

• Where practicable and available Competition Organizers and attending Delegates should provide hand sanitizer.
  • Competitors should be encouraged to bring hand sanitizer and sanitizer wipes with them even if these will be provided.
  • Competitors should be directed to sanitize their hands or wash them with soap and water whenever practicable.
  • All attendees should be encouraged to wipe their puzzles with sanitized wipes as often as they can and especially when their puzzles are passed from person to person.
  • All attendees should be encouraged to bring disposable tissues with them.
  • In the event that an attendee needs to cough or sneeze, ask that they do so into a disposable tissue or into the crook of their elbow.
  • During inspection, competitors are permitted to wipe their puzzles with a sanitized wipe.
  • Where practicable please wipe the solving station and scrambling tables with sanitized wipes and at least between rounds and groups.
All competitions held between Tuesday, March 17th and Sunday, April 19th can only proceed with the express written consent of the WCA Board of Directors.

During this time, we ask competitors and their families to exercise caution and evaluate the risk when deciding to attend a competition.

• Under no circumstances should anyone that shows any symptoms associated with COVID-19 attend a WCA Competition. This includes any guests of Competitors. Those symptoms include, but are not limited to:
    • Fever / High temperature
    • Cough
    • Shortness of breath
  • Anyone who has been into contact in the last two weeks with somebody who has a confirmed case of COVID-19 should not attend any WCA Competition.
  • Vulnerable people should not attend any WCA Competition.
Delegates have been asked to amend the refund policy to provide competitors with refunds on cancellations that are notified up to the date before the first day of the competition. Competitors who are feeling ill or who do not feel safe attending a competition are asked to contact the Organizer(s) and/or Delegate(s) of the competition.

No new competitions will be announced where the first date of the competition is on or before April 19th. Competitions in which the first day of the competition is on or before May 15th will require express written permission of the Board. Delegates have been advised not to plan any new competition before May 15th. Competitions may still be subject to cancellation.

This policy is in effect until April 19th, but may be extended at the discretion of Board of Directors.

We appreciate that the situation and severity of spread of the virus is vastly different all around the world, but we have a responsibility to protect our WCA Staff, Competition Organizers, Competitors, and the general public.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
EDIT: I realize you already provided the link to the source on reddit. Thanks for sharing.

UMD is closed, so any SNS competitions for a little while will most likely be canceled. I live in Virginia, my county is closed until April 16, and all Virginia schools are closed for a minimum of two weeks, so any competitions held in a school cafeteria/gym will also be closed. I'm pretty sure that Maryland is in a similar situation, so a lot of Northeast comps will probably cancelled in the relatively near future as the situation gets worse. And I'm hearing rumors the the VA governor is planning a state-wide quarantine.

(Sorry for the double post, but this is not related to my last comment.)

Anyway, here's what people need to consider: COVID-19 attacks the lungs. We will soon run out of breathing tubes in hospitals. What will the US do then? We are way behind other countries in terms of out capacity to test cases. And the virus is dormant for several days before symptoms appear.

Here is a graph from r/dataisbeautiful, on reddit (admittedly a couple days behind): View attachment 11530
What this image means is that the US is going to (almost certainly) be at a similar scale to Italy within a matter of days. On a much larger scale. And the estimated number of true cases is much, much, much higher. @Kit Clement, you made a point when you said "may explain why even 13 people infected in your state (not counting unconfirmed cases) is highly concerning." That is because if there are 13 confirmed cases, the actual number of cases is more likely in the thousands.

People who think "It's just like the Flu, nothing to worry about", you all are wrong. To lots of people, this virus can cause the patient to have pneumonia, or pneumonia-like symptoms. Maybe you, myself included, are young and at no risk. But surely you know somebody who is at risk. Even if they just have something as simple and common as asthma, they are at risk. Why put their lives in danger? The WCA cancelling competitions, while might seem like an overreaction, is actually better for us all in the long term.
Have you been compiling this data yourself from WHO situation reports or where does this info come from? I think it’s a fantastic graphic for putting our situation in the US in perspective since we are still so early in the potential (and inevitable IMHO) growth of this virus.

EDIT: I realize you already provided the link to the source on reddit. Thanks for sharing.

Have you been compiling this data yourself from WHO situation reports or where does this info come from? I think it’s a fantastic graphic for putting our situation in the US in perspective since we are still so early in the potential (and inevitable IMHO) growth of this virus.
Thanks, but don't give me credit. There are newer graphs and charts out by now.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks, but don't give me credit. There are newer graphs and charts out by now.
Most definitely. But getting the conversation started early in your community is important in a situation that changes drastically even by the hour. Your post definitely pointed me in the direction of learning from the parts of the world that are further along this crazy road than we are in the US.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

A lot has happened and my opinion has changed since then. Let me explain.
On Sunday, March 15, 2020 @ around 4:30 PM, I found out that school was going to be cancelled this week as an extension to Spring Break. I have done more research, and understand the situation a lot better now. I did not mean to offend anyone, as I said, I was stating my opinion at the time. Thank you for providing some feedback, as it is much appreciated.