• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
That's what will distinguish the product from all the others. Hardware is already excellent even in cheap cubes.
Older smartcubes don't have as good turning, though the GAN has pretty good turning and supposedly the Weilong AI will have true parity in performance.

I have since learnt, from this forum, that a U2 should be counted as 1 turn.
Depends on what turn metric is used. Both have their uses and I even proposed a silly hybrid of QTM and HTM called 1.5TM https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/1-5-half-turn-metric.79948/

I believe the cube makers looking to sell at premium prices should invest in information technology staffing and longer term strategies considering smartcubes, in stead of trying to design cubes with lots of tools, accessories, spare parts, fancy cases and bags, display stands, fancy wipe cloth, ...

Agreed. The Chinese companies should contract out to smart device manufacturers if they don't have the expertise with smart devices.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I think user selectable turn metrics would be great.

Being smart (!) cubes, I expect a lot more features and user friendliness, incl. downloadable stats in various formats so I can analyse them myself; more customisable interface, displays, etc. For example, I would like to have a lower resolution (less processing) option for the display so that the image of the cube is updated faster or more "realtime". Recognition of common algorithms is another wish. This is so that the software can collect the amount of time (averages and cumulative totals) I spent doing each Ua Perm, Sune, ... in order to show how bad my finger skills are (compared to some norm) and which algorithms to work on. Those who are programmers know that all these are pretty simple tasks. Of course there will be a cost for fancy functions, but I'm happy to pay twice what they charge now, and also for subscription if the online software (Cubeast, CSTimer...) can support them. Compared to all the other smart gadgets people buy, bluetooth headphones or whatever, this kind of price is not unreasonable if they care to develop the market for such products.

Last edited:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
There
Older smartcubes don't have as good turning, though the GAN has pretty good turning and supposedly the Weilong AI will have true parity in performance.

Depends on what turn metric is used. Both have their uses and I even proposed a silly hybrid of QTM and HTM called 1.5TM https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/1-5-half-turn-metric.79948/

Agreed. The Chinese companies should contract out to smart device manufacturers if they don't have the expertise with smart devices.

I believe there should be many good smart software experts over there, considering all those smartphones they make.

Here is something I found with some nice details about the Moyu Weilong AI. Demo was apparently made with pre-production software (version 0.012) and as such it looks pretty good. Tutorial seems to be just for LBL, CFOP and other variants of CFOP (No Roux).

Last edited:

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Giiker is made by xaomi so you can expect good hardware (sensors) and software there
There

I believe there should be many good smart software experts over there, considering all those smartphones they make.

Here is something I found with some nice details about the Moyu Weilong AI. Demo was apparently made with pre-production software (version 0.012) and as such it looks pretty good. Tutorial seems to be just for LBL, CFOP and other variants of CFOP (No Roux).

I have kind of gotten used to the pillowed shape of the gocube edgeless but I would prefer otherwise

Kaiju_cube

My GoCube center locks sometimes and just doesn't turn. Really sucks when you turn a side and all the edge and corner pieces rotate 'around' the center piece instead of with it.

I have the Rubik smart cube (which is arguably the best Rubik they make, smart cube or not), the GoCube and the Gan i356 (I think that's what it's called)... the Gan one is the best of the 3.

Probably not going to get anymore smart cubes though. They're expensive and the gimmick of being synched to the tablet really doesn't do much for me I guess.

And some of them like the Rubik really doesn't track well at all, anyway. It's easily confused. You can finish the solve and it wont register and the timer just keeps going. It's more irritating than fun.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whats with the illegal logo on this cube? The 7x7 has the logo in a legal position, but why not the 6x6?

Reactions: qwr

xyzzy

Whats with the illegal logo on this cube? The 7x7 has the logo in a legal position, but why not the 6x6?
That's legal, though. (But still weird.)

3l1) The logo must be placed on a center piece.
3l1+) CLARIFICATION On NxNxN puzzles, a center piece is any piece with a single colored part. For example, the 5x5x5 Cube has 9 center pieces on each face.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11

3l1+) CLARIFICATION On NxNxN puzzles, a center piece is any piece with a single colored part. For example, the 5x5x5 Cube has 9 center pieces on each face.
So I am supposed to put my 2x2 logo's on the screw!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel

Is the rule numbering scheme new? This creates crazy rule numbers like 2i1b+.

Also did they have to add this specifically for the Diansheng puzzles? lol

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
My GoCube center locks sometimes and just doesn't turn. Really sucks when you turn a side and all the edge and corner pieces rotate 'around' the center piece instead of with it.

I have the Rubik smart cube (which is arguably the best Rubik they make, smart cube or not), the GoCube and the Gan i356 (I think that's what it's called)... the Gan one is the best of the 3.

Probably not going to get anymore smart cubes though. They're expensive and the gimmick of being synched to the tablet really doesn't do much for me I guess.

And some of them like the Rubik really doesn't track well at all, anyway. It's easily confused. You can finish the solve and it wont register and the timer just keeps going. It's more irritating than fun.

Unfortunately, there seems to be too little attention given to quality and relibility in these new smartcubes. The GoCube is already the best in terms of software and is generally free of bugs, though still needing improvement. The brand new Moyu AI Cube is excellent in its hardware but have so many issues with its software and installation. It's frustrating. It's obviously rushed out with little QA.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Maybe Qiyi can save you "Smart" cube geeks. They always seem to be among the first to get things right. They had the clock (and still do) they gave us a good Square-1, they brought us an affordable, amazing, flagship cube a third of the price of a certain companies flagship, and more. I'd personally prefer a Qiyi cube over any other if I got one.

xyzzy

So I am supposed to put my 2x2 logo's on the screw!
I didn't quote all of reg 3l1, which actually goes on to say that you can put the logo on any coloured piece when it comes to 222 or pyraminx, since those don't have exposed centre pieces. (A pyraminx usually doesn't have centre pieces at all, of course.)

Interestingly, I think this implies you can't put a logo on the screw (since it's not a coloured part), however silly that sounds.

Is the rule numbering scheme new? This creates crazy rule numbers like 2i1b+.

Also did they have to add this specifically for the Diansheng puzzles? lol
The guidelines have been numbered like this basically forever. This particular guideline was added in 2019.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Maybe Qiyi can save you "Smart" cube geeks. They always seem to be among the first to get things right. They had the clock (and still do) they gave us a good Square-1, they brought us an affordable, amazing, flagship cube a third of the price of a certain companies flagship, and more. I'd personally prefer a Qiyi cube over any other if I got one.

It would be fantastic if there could be a smartcube based on the Tornado V2. I am quite impressed with their attention to little design details in that cube. I see why they named it X-Man Design.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
The GAN 354M V2 had the GES/Tensioning system found in more budget cubes like the GAN 356M with the 0.6 and 0.8.
If they're able to pack in the blue/clear GES system with magnet adjustment this would be much more customisable than the previous 354.
I have to admit, I don't know much about this product (yet). Will have to work out what's going on.