• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure V-cubes is smart enough to know that we like adjustable 3x3's.

I hate to sound harsh, but V-cubes are smart enough to add bumps to the corners of a 5x5 to make it turn worse, design an anti-misalignment mechanism which clearly fails to prevent misalignment, and not realise we like adjustable 5x5s, 6x6s and 7x7s. I commend them for the basic idea of the conical cuts which make for a good mech, but they suck at making good design choices when using that mech.

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hate to sound harsh, but V-cubes are smart enough to add bumps to the corners of a 5x5 to make it turn worse
Yeah, I still haven't been told why they did that on the 5x5, but not the 7x7.

design an anti-misalignment mechanism which clearly fails to prevent misalignment

They would have had to have altered the entire 6x6 mech to fix it. Remember that this was years ago, before it was such a big problem, that many people today try to solve.

and not realise we like adjustable 5x5s, 6x6s and 7x7s. I commend them for the basic idea of the conical cuts which make for a good mech, but they suck at making good design choices when using that mech.

At the time, there were no other adjustable big cubes with springs. I guess they didn't see a reason. So they wouldn't know that we like adjustable 5x5's, 6x6's, and 7x7's, because there were no other adjustable ones, and there were no other 6x6's and 7x7's.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also the main market is the general public, and like the rubik's brand they don't want those people playing with the cubes tensions and having it fall apart, or it coming loose by itself. A casual customer may not be impressed with a 7x7 coming apart in their hands.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They would have had to have altered the entire 6x6 mech to fix it. Remember that this was years ago, before it was such a big problem, that many people today try to solve.
I think I remember someone from Verdes (Konstantin?) saying that they knew a way to fix the misalignments at the time, but it would make different layers take different amounts of force to turn, and they wanted all the layers to be approximately the same to appeal to consumers.

At the time, there were no other adjustable big cubes with springs.
I think I remember there being an adjustable Mefferts 5x5 that some top people were using before the V5 came out. Not sure, though.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hate to sound harsh, but V-cubes are smart enough to add bumps to the corners of a 5x5 to make it turn worse, design an anti-misalignment mechanism which clearly fails to prevent misalignment, and not realise we like adjustable 5x5s, 6x6s and 7x7s. I commend them for the basic idea of the conical cuts which make for a good mech, but they suck at making good design choices when using that mech.

You forget that they have released a new model since their original cubes. I don't think anyone is downplaying the quality of the v2 for speedcubing.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
I can't comment on the price of the Rubik's Cube (although I believe it to be accurate) but your other prices are wrong. I can see a Dayan Zhanchi on Puzzle Addictions for USD$18.45 (free shipping) and the V-CUBE 3 is €14.99, which is roughly $18.50 not including shipping.

Apologies, I guess my quote on the V-CUBE 3 was a bit dodgy without including shipping.

I quoted lightake on the Zhan Chi price. I've only ever received them from Bao Daqing... The price of it could probably drop a bit but it's already a competitive price considering the competitors.

Hopefully someone imports the V-CUBE 3 in bulk into Australia and distributes the shipping cost so that the RRP is closer to US$20 on shelves here...

Tim.

mocenigo

I bet this is going to be the Mac of 3x3's. It looks awesome, but it costs more than twice of a cube that performs better. Also, it doesn't really perform well, and is incompatible with regular spare parts. And every other 3x3 manufacturer will be sued for making a cube with straight edges and corners -.-' Dammit Verdes, stick to large cubes.

(I have never seen a mac that costs more than twice of something else that performs better. But I guess we should leave these silly comments outside a forum that is devoted to cubing.)

On a more relevant note, if the 2x2x2 is any indication, Verdes probably does not care much about extreme corner cutting. I do not see deeply cut, rounded corners in the cubies in the pictures of the 3x3x3. It will probably turn very well (like the 2x2x2) but if you want crazy reverse corner cutting you have to go somewhere else.

Roberto

mocenigo

The pieces look suspiciously similar to those of the Guhong. I'm hoping that Dayan will sue them back and won't be getting these for myself.

Well, we know that they reached an agreement and then that legal action stopped. Maybe the v-cube 3 is the result of this.

Roberto

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay, there's a cubic version :p

It will be interesting to see how it turns. I'm probably going to order one tonight (black, non-pillowed). Still, there's no reason to throw out my perfectly good ZhanChi and Type F3 just because this has come out. But we may be surprised like we were with the V2.

Whatever happens, it should be fairly decent, at the least.

Yeah, I still haven't been told why they did that on the 5x5, but not the 7x7.

At the time, there were no other adjustable big cubes with springs. I guess they didn't see a reason. So they wouldn't know that we like adjustable 5x5's, 6x6's, and 7x7's, because there were no other adjustable ones, and there were no other 6x6's and 7x7's.

Well, currently, today, Verdes Innovations S.A.'s cube tech (besides their 2x2x2 and the new 3x3x3) is severely outdated. I think they should do a complete overhaul of their big cube line with adjustable screws, a mech that turns better and a anti-misalignment system that works better than their current system.

But then, there will be some terribly protracted delay that accompanies the cube's facelift, and we still don't have a V-Cube 4, 8, or 11 yet.

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think they should do a complete overhaul of their big cube line with adjustable screws, a mech that turns better and a anti-misalignment system that works better than their current system.

I'm happy with my V-cube 5 and 7... the only thing I'd like to change about them is the screws... but since they're releasing adjustable core sets then that's that taken care of.

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm happy with my V-cube 5 and 7... the only thing I'd like to change about them is the screws... but since they're releasing adjustable core sets then that's that taken care of.

Are you sure? I believed that was just a rumor... In that case, then there isn't a real need for any of the other stuff I posted up (they can always add that stuff later and it's not a complete necessity).

But where did you see that Verdes was, in fact going to release adjustable cores?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OMGitsSolved Off-Topic Discussion 39