• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

To anyone who has switched methods, what is your story?

What method did you switch to?

• Total voters

Mr.Roux86

YouTube
Visit Channel

For me personally, I used CFOP for about 2yrs total. I got my average down to a low 20. I HATE learning algs. Especially in large numbers. Learning PLL was not on my 'to-do' list. I did know that learning full PLL was basically necessary for sub 20. Then I watched J-perm's Roux video. Then I got inspired to try Roux. After about 2 days I gave up. I stuck with CFOP for about a month longer but couldn't stand not reaching sub 20. Eventually, I decided to try and give Roux a month or two. At first block building sucked, but now I can't even make F2L pairs in CFOP solves without trying to break cross edges. I got my average down to sub 20 in about 4-5 months. Now I average around 17. I do not regret switching to Roux. Even if you are very good with CFOP, I highly suggest trying a block building method for a little bit. It will help your solves.

Anyway, what is your guy's story?

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

For me personally, I used CFOP for about 2yrs total. I got my average down to a low 20. I HATE learning algs. Especially in large numbers. Learning PLL was not on my 'to-do' list. I did know that learning full PLL was basically necessary for sub 20. Then I watched J-perm's Roux video. Then I got inspired to try Roux. After about 2 days I gave up. I stuck with CFOP for about a month longer but couldn't stand not reaching sub 20. Eventually, I decided to try and give Roux a month or two. At first block building sucked, but now I can't even make F2L pairs in CFOP solves without trying to break cross edges. I got my average down to sub 20 in about 4-5 months. Now I average around 17. I do not regret switching to Roux. Even if you are very good with CFOP, I highly suggest trying a block building method for a little bit. It will help your solves.

I'm just curious, if you didn't want to learn algs, then how did you learn CMLL?

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I guess I just assumed that he did. I guess it isn't that necessary (but I think that learning full CMLL helps the same amount as full PLL, which is not that much to begin with.
Although it’s much less to learn than full OLL and PLL. On topic, I never “switched” methods but I still practice roux sometimes. I feel like I would enjoy it much more if I would just dedicate practice to it.

YouTube
Visit Channel
A few months after I learned CFOP I was averaging about 35-40 seconds, and I decided to try out some other methods.
I learned Roux and used it for about 2 weeks, I hated block-building and doing a lot of M slices so I went back to CFOP, a few days after that I started learning ZZ. I got the hang of EO pretty easily, and the F2L, while it was still block-building, it was a lot easier to get the hang of, after using ZZ for a month I decided to go back to CFOP. Then, a few months ago, I decided to start using ZZ again, then I went back to CFOP. I started using ZZ -yet again- last month, but switched back to CFOP because I have a comp soon, but I plan to stick with ZZ after the comp.

Oh, and I learned Petrus at one point.

WCA
2017WENR01
I started out with the Ideal method for 3 years. I got into speedcubing and started using CFCE from CFOP tutorials, because I didn’t want to learn algs. The I found out CFOP was 20 sec faster( averaging 1 min) and used it until I grew bored, then I switched to Roux. Currently learning ELOR and CMLLEO to get sub 20.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
i have been cubing for 2 years
started with lbl then switched to cfop
When i saw that Kian Mansour(PDF) got a sub 7 avg with roux i decided to switch
now i average sub 12 with CFOP ROUX and Petrus

Spencer131

WCA
2017CHUB02
I switched to Roux because I think it's the fastest method:D
Currently learning ELOR and CMLLEO to get sub 20.
My advice for you is that you really don't need eolr to be sub 20, and you will probably never need cmlleo because that is way too many algs. There are more efficient ways to practice than learning massive alg sets.

Also, it's useless to learn eolr if you want to use cmlleo because eo will already be done.

Elo13

WCA
2016ELOV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned CFOP when I got into speedcubing. I got to around 20, but then got inspired by Vincent Wong's AMA on Reddit to switch to roux. It took me a long time (4ish months) because I was quite lazy, but after making the switch I got down to around 13 seconds really quickly by my standards.

Zerksies

I got into cubing about 11 years ago. I haven't necessarily switched methods i just learned a few newer ones

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was using this method for months. I got down to around 40-60 seconds on it. But somehow, it felt like I couldn’t get faster on it. I had recently learned how to solve the Rubik’s Cube, and needed to improve my times.

So I watched many tutorials, and over many days, I finally got it. I practiced with this new method, and decreased my times to 30, then 25, then 20 seconds. And I finally made the switch...

From LBL to CFOP.

xyzzy

I started off in 2006/2007 with an LBL-Petrus hybrid, and persisted with this for years despite everyone telling me Petrus was bad. When I got into speedcubing circa 2015, I started learning how to do F2L efficiently, picked up a bunch of short OLL algs, and switched to CFOP/FreeFOP. (My F2L isn't a rigid "cross then four pairs" most of the time, but it's not fully freestyle blockbuilding either, which makes categorisation somewhat annoying. My last layer isn't always OLL+PLL either—a quarter of the time I use ZBLL, another quarter I use COLL+EPLL, and only around half of the time I actually do OLL+PLL.)

These days, I do still use CFOP for two-handed solves, but for one-handed solves I use ZZ as well if I don't see easy blocks or an easy cross. I mean, using an additional method a third of the time isn't quite the same as switching completely, but I think it's roughly in the same spirit.

(Also, I've switched 4×4×4 methods like thrice and 5×5×5 methods like ten times, although the latter number is inflated because I switched between OBLBL, Yau5 and redux multiple times.)

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had been using CFOP for a year, I was colour neutral and doing an x-cross and I was just sub 20. I was having a lot of fun, but then I found ZBLL. It was my new goal, but I didn't want to learn ZBLS, because algs. I decided to stick with ZZ instead. I also loved the concept of <RUL> and no rotations, so I switched. Took me a couple of months to get faster than CFOP, but from there it's been great. I'm now sub-12 after 2.67 years with it and I know all of T-ZBLL and most of U, while I know Pi 2GLL. My goal is looking like it's coming true. I just need to put in the effort to reach my goal of learning them by the end of the year. I know what I'm doing after exams.:D

I use CFOP (I'm sub 15, nearly sub 10)with WV, Full PLL and 2 look OLL but in January 2018, I tried switching to Roux because of New Years resolution, and why not? I only learned basic Roux, but no CMLL cuz I'm too lazy. I kinda sucked at Roux, so I returned to CFOP. I might try ZZ, maybe in the near future, but for now, Fridrich method.

moh_33

For me i used to use CFOP but then i switched to roux because of interest, i was having a blast! i used Roux a lot and ended up in my first 1 minute flat solve! then when i was looking for roux tutorials i stumbled upon this website which i admit was a great experience and i didn't regret accidentally clicking a link to this website from a youtuber :). Then i introduced myself to this community and one of them actually suggested for me to try petrus, so i did, and it turned me into switching from roux to petrus, and i got an idea where i would try to learn as much methods as i can, and it turned out pretty well! i learned 7 methods in just 4 weeks. right now im still trying to learn as much methods as i possibly can and for now i don't even have a main method :p i just solve the cube using a method that i see fit on the scramble the most.

edit: actually i think its in 3 weeks... but i learned the basic parts so ye

Last edited: