• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thoughts on Going to Competitions Starting June 5th?

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
WCA official competitions are running again starting June 6th, but, to me, it seems like an event where the coronavirus could transmit quite easily, since several people will be touching your cubes, it's very difficult to social distance, etc. What are your thoughts on whether competitions are "safe" or not? Will you go to a competition in your area if there's one in June? I don't want this thread to turn into an argument, since many people tend to have strong opinions during this time. I simply want to hear what other people's opinions.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
This should definitely depend on location.

I think that even on June 5, holding a competition in Boston or New York City would be a bad idea, as the virus doesn't seem, as of yet, to be slowing down there.

However, a place like New Zealand where the virus is in control already, will probably be safe and I'd imagine a competition could run safely there by then.

Timoth3

WCA official competitions are running again starting June 6th, but, to me, it seems like an event where the coronavirus could transmit quite easily, since several people will be touching your cubes, it's very difficult to social distance, etc. What are your thoughts on whether competitions are "safe" or not? Will you go to a competition in your area if there's one in June? I don't want this thread to turn into an argument, I simply want to hear what other people's opinions.
I think as long as 3 things occur I believe it would be safe.
People wear masks for most or all of the competition, people wash their hands before and after scrambling and after doing official solves, finally, local government says it is safe. Would like to note, I am no scientist. This is just what I would like to see before a competition.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think as long as 3 things occur I believe it would be safe.
People wear masks for most or all of the competition, people wash their hands before and after scrambling and after doing official solves, finally, local government says it is safe. Would like to note, I am no scientist. This is just what I would like to see before a competition.
The problem is, you can't force people to do any of those things, and, while it is common sense to wash your hands whenever they might be infected, many people who go to competitions are young kids, and I would guess most young kids would often forget to wash their hands and VERY few would wear masks.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you are going, I think it's very important to keep your cubes to yourself and don't try out other people's cubes like you would in the past. The virus can survive for a while on surfaces so make sure that people don't touch your cubes aside from staff. I also think that providing Scramblers, Runners, and Judges with gloves and/or hand sanitizer is a good idea. Also, use common sense when you go to a competition. Wear a mask, don't cough into the air, wash your hands often, don't touch your face, etc.

I'm A Cuber

Just a question, but how many of you have actually worn a mask for an extended period of time? Especially if you wear glasses.
Also, the people running the competitions and the people attending the competitions know what they are getting in to. If people don’t want to risk it, nobody is forcing them to go.
Anyway. That’s my two cents

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a question, but how many of you have actually worn a mask for an extended period of time? Especially if you wear glasses.
Also, the people running the competitions and the people attending the competitions know what they are getting in to. If people don’t want to risk it, nobody is forcing them to go.
Anyway. That’s my two cents
I haven't been anywhere for a month and a half except for church and to help my grandparents with yard work, I have worn a mask when I went to church.

It's proven that masks won't help, and gloves won't help unless you utilize them properly, which almost no one does.
my mask has a pocket in it where I can put a furnace filter. And the furnace filter says it blocks out viruses.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I know masks mostly help with preventing you from spreading the virus. They do help with preventing you from getting it, just not that much. However it is still important to wear one so incase you have it (and you don’t know if you have it or not because you could be asymptomatic). I think all of the first week of June comps will be canceled (most already are) and the wca will release a statement banning all comps till some date. It will definitely be a while until stuff gets back to normal (especially in the US lol) and hopefully everyone can get their act together so the number of deaths and cases can hopefully decrease.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
My understanding is that this is a negative, not a positive, statement. In terms of, "no comps are allowed until at least this date" rather than "on this date you can hold comps again". As 'this date' approaches, we may or may not see a further delay announced, but I would be surprised if we heard nothing by then.

KingTim96

WCA
2012SPIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's a comp in Indiana in either July or June I was considering going to as it has been years since I have been to a comp. But like others have said, I will be doing my homework. If I dont see the state having a decrease in the rate at which cases are found then I probably wouldn't go just to be safe. But if the state is looking in good shape and I feel confident that I wont be dropping the ball hygiene wise, I will probably go.

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It might just be me, but I don’t think I would even want to go to a competition yet. I would obviously like to compete again but going to a comp where you can’t fully engage and you have to constantly be doing all these things would not be very appealing to me.

looking forward to my next comp but for now it’s just practice more I guess.;)