• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, I decided to film my Race to sub 30, sub 25 Ao12 so you can tell me what to improve, thanks!
Roux method

ZZ method

EDIT: I added my ZZ video aswell

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kensmith13

I uploaded an average of 12 if anybody would like to review and critique !!
(Info in the description on YouTube)
Thanks everyone !

(Full screen 720p for best picture)

Teemu

Hello, so I decided to record a cubing video where I do 3x3 cube as fast I can, and then upload it here and ask how I could make it faster etc..

I know this is crappy quality etc but hope u see my cons.
So question is: How could I improve at cubing?

My recent personal best (PB) were a 1:21 which I also made today.
Method used: Beginner CFOP, except cross is done for white side first.
I'll take any advice given, thanks for helping!

Click here for a video

Tycubing

WCA
2015SPEC01
Hello, so I decided to record a cubing video where I do 3x3 cube as fast I can, and then upload it here and ask how I could make it faster etc..

Click here for a video
Learn some finger tricks and f2l
Use CrazyBadCubers tutorial for f2l

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
List of things which seem to be the most regretted by more experienced cubers:
1) Not exploring other methods (I would recommend checking out at least Roux, CFOP and ZZ before deciding on one to stick with).
2) Not starting off colour neutral (fully for CFOP, x2 y for ZZ or Roux)
3) Not learning to use inspection effectively (basically just try to plan as much as you can with unlimited inspection).

Other useful advice/stuff:
1) Try to learn fingertricks and find multiple ways to fingertrick each move (such as push, lefty reverse flick and normal righty flick for U moves)
2) links to the point above, but try to move your hands as little as possible to perform each move as this will increase time.
3) lookahead: basically, while you are doing one step, try to plan for the next step (so for CFOP, while doing cross, plan your first F2L pair, while you do your first F2L pair, try to plan the second).
4) try to avoid pauses: this is similar to the above but try slow solving where you never stop turning but don't turn at the fastest you possibly can remember: slow is fluid and fluid is fast.
5) Linking to point 2, try to make all your movements smooth and blend into each other rather than being separate and jerky (see Alex lau and feliks zemdegs for good examples of this).

Anyway, I wish you luck on your cubing journey and remember: you can only get better from here! :)

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

Click here for a video

My advice,

Solve your cross on bottom, it takes some getting used to but in the end it's worth it

Learn intuitive F2L, again it may seem slower but it's really not

Learn Full PLL

Use 'fingertricking'

Learn basic 'look ahead'

Become color neutral

For all of these tips, there's tutorials I'd recommend you watch a few tutorials for each of these steps.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05

Please analyze my solves and help me improve my mistakes!
Thanks! :)
You're faster than me, so my critiques are probably rather limited, but either way...
I'm noticing two things:
-It looks like, at least on a couple of them, you're only planning out your cross and then going from there. If that's the case, you should try to plan out at least the first F2L pair in inspection.
-You're doing a lot of hunting and looking at the back of the cube, you should do slow solves to work on fluidity and use something like the Coracle lookahead drill to rely less on looking around the cube.

Those are just minor things that get better with practice, though.

mejjad

YouTube
Visit Channel
Everything? OLL/PLL? I know perhaps 35 OLL and 16 PLL, which has brought me down to a average of 27-28 and a pb of 17.
Here's a video...

another one:

Obviously I should learn more OLL/PLL algorithms. Anything else? Thanks in advance... :)

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Doing cross blind helped me a lot, also I find it strange that you know that many OLLs but don't know full PLL. Definitely go Full PLL -> Full OLL and don't worry about F2L and Cross, they get quicker over time as long as you have some good intuitive F2L Algs and a fairly efficient blind cross.

turtwig

Don't rotate so much. Especially during PLL, I see that you rotate to skip the AUF, don't do that, it's much better to just do U moves.

ETH23

I am back after not cubing for like three years. I have been practicing for a week getting my mojo back and I average in the 20 seconds once again! I am back to where I was now looking to get sub-20. I have a video of a solve and example solve below. Please watch and give some constructive criticism. Thanks! Also, what happened to SneaklyFox? I knew her well back 3 years ago.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am back after not cubing for like three years. I have been practicing for a week getting my mojo back and I average in the 20 seconds once again! I am back to where I was now looking to get sub-20. I have a video of a solve and example solve below. Please watch and give some constructive criticism. Thanks! Also, what happened to SneaklyFox? I knew her well back 3 years ago.

Welcome back! And welcome to the forums!:)
I'll watch the video soon, but could you explain what you know? Are you using Full OLL and PLL? Also what cube are you using now?

ETH23

Welcome back! And welcome to the forums!:)
I'll watch the video soon, but could you explain what you know? Are you using Full OLL and PLL? Also what cube are you using now?
Thank you! I know everything there is to know about CFOP. I solve cross on bottom, try to look ahead and not do any Y2's, I know full PLL but 2LOLL.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you! I know everything there is to know about CFOP. I solve cross on bottom, try to look ahead and not do any Y2's, I know full PLL but 2LOLL.
Ok, that is great!

What cube are you using? If you have something old, like a Zhanchi getting a new GOOD cube can get you sub 20 in a few hours/days. You probably need one anyway.

A great spot to start learning and improving is CubeSkills.com I would start with the Intermediate F2L and Cross: https://www.cubeskills.com/categories/3x3

ETH23

Ok, that is great!

What cube are you using? If you have something old, like a Zhanchi getting a new GOOD cube can get you sub 20 in a few hours/days. You probably need one anyway.

A great spot to start learning and improving is CubeSkills.com I would start with the Intermediate F2L and Cross: https://www.cubeskills.com/categories/3x3
Actually, I just got a new MoYu Aolong. (My picture lol)

WCA
2014HEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you color neutral? If not, at least try to do x2 color neutral (white and yellow cross) as that can decrease your times fairly quick.
First solve, you had quite a few pauses, especially on the last pair. For the last layer, the 2-look you used is fine, though I would recommend if you do 2LOLL that you go through and learn after you do your EO, that you learn what OCLL you get after it so that you can get a little faster at that. For PLL, 2 sided recognition would have helped here. Overall, turn a little slower to look-ahead, and make sure you can solve your pairs blind.

Second solve, cross was efficient, granted it was easy. For the first pair, I would have done the one with the corner solved in a keyhole-style, with a D move insert edge, D' or something along those lines. If you don't know keyhole, learn it, it is really nice for some cases. Your move efficiency wasn't the greatest, but wasn't the worst, so if you could work on that, while looking ahead, by doing slow solves and making sure you are solving things as efficiently as possible, while also making your moves finger trick friendly. OLL, you recognized decent speed, and PLL, again, two sided recognition will help.

Hopefully this will suffice from me, if you have any questions, let me know.