• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The recent bans

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
I say make new users hit 50 posts before letting them start threads. They can answer posts, just not make threads. And no limit on posts per thread.

Some things wrong with that.

a) Some people who have been here since 2007 still don't have 50 posts and they can be important. Ex: Eric Limeback

b)This ruins the whole "member introduction" thing most people like to do, I know I wouldent want to talk, then give the person a handshake :p

Good points. Perhaps you could have a mod be able to approve a user to start threads early if they prove to be useful. And only apply it to new users (those who register after it is put into effect). You could also give them one thread start, which must be used to start their introduction thread on penalty of a short (24-hour?) ban.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another thing to keep in mind is AndyK. Remember him? His first post was in the Howtos section giving a perfect printout tutorial of 3x3-5x5. I still use that to teach my friends how to solve 4x4 and up.

Skewb

what about this... new comers to the forum could be limited to one introductory post at the time they sign up, could be auto generated or not... then, that new comer would be limited to 10 posts in any 12 hour period up to 50 posts... after that the new comer is in a "probationary" status labeled something like "Prospect" in which time if they blow up the forums with say 5 or more threads in any 24 hour period, the system automatically locks them out for 72 hours, at the end of which they receive and email confirmation letter, letting them know they can come back, but clearly stating in what i think she be BIG RED LETTERS that if they violate the rules again or have a single complaint against them in the next 90 days, they will be banned...

i know that's a lot of info to add to the site and it would take a long time to do, but it may be worth it... imo though, we shouldn't HAVE to be doing any thing about this... i'm new still, and have yet to post a single thread... i hope this helps...

EDIT: the probationary period could start at 30 or 60 days.. then move to 90 if a violation occurs

Last edited:

Gparker

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would probably look at it like this. x posts a thread, no. If there useless posts like rubiks exer did then definetly. Y posts a day, no again. Some people, new members included, know how to actually help a person rather than asking repetitive questions. If the user asks to many commen questions after we remind him/her of search and everything, then the ban would happen. It can sometimes depend on how new the user is too though. If the user happends to get banned on the first or second day, then once they get banned they will probably never have the interest to come back.

EDIT: I think wee could emphasize this in the welcome video. I know that there is the search function part, but some people may miss that.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
NO. None of these ideas will work. Just let people post as much as they need and nominate the stupid posts for the stupid post of the year and delete the really obscene/pointless posts.

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I say make new users hit 50 posts before letting them start threads. They can answer posts, just not make threads. And no limit on posts per thread.

Some things wrong with that.

a) Some people who have been here since 2007 still don't have 50 posts and they can be important. Ex: Eric Limeback

b)This ruins the whole "member introduction" thing most people like to do, I know I wouldent want to talk, then give the person a handshake :p

c) People would want to post meaningless posts till they got to 50.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
People who are new will make stupid threads, and they won't understand
why. I did it to when I joined. They don't know any better. I really do believe
that there is nothing we can do to make a significant difference without
ruining the forum. Restrictions on post count and threads is one of those things. I really think the most that can be done is get the message out to beginners before they post. When I say get the info out, I mean tell them that this is a very active forum full of many experienced and unexperienced users, and that basic questions are annoying. You can sugar coat it of course so they don't get "Intimidated by the forum thus shying away beginners from the community", but get the message across. I suggest adding this into the Welcome video for new members which also needs to be completed.

Samlambert

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an idea.

When someone register, he needs to write a 100ish words text on him and why he want to join this forum. Then we can see if it's like "hai i wun 2 b beter at rubix c00b, wher 2 b DIYs 2 mke me fazter???66" or if it's actually someone who seems to have a brain which he knows how to use. Then PJK or maybe other mods would have to review that and either accept/deny his registration.

Samlambert

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that's over the top, we should just monitor people and watch out if they make too many stupid threads. If they do, warn them, and if they keep doing it, ban them. This is a secret message

And what prevents them from just making another account? By using the text method, even if they made 100 account they probably still wouldn't have 1 accepted.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just do this:

Have new members take a quiz on forum/internet ettiquitte.
Depending on how well they do, limit their thread-making and posting upon that.

Ex question: "Which of these would be a good procedure on finding some cubing info. out?"
A-Google it.
B-Make a thread in the hardware section about how much you love KFC.
C-Use the search function.
D-Post in the "one question answer thread"
E-create a thread about it
F-C, then A, then D, then F

panyan

why cant we just have the
picture1ivc.jpg
on each thread and vote up good ones, vote down pointless ones?

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an idea.

When someone register, he needs to write a 100ish words text on him and why he want to join this forum. Then we can see if it's like "hai i wun 2 b beter at rubix c00b, wher 2 b DIYs 2 mke me fazter???66" or if it's actually someone who seems to have a brain which he knows how to use. Then PJK or maybe other mods would have to review that and either accept/deny his registration.

our membership registration would fall to zero!
More like 50, but then this place would be much much much much more enjoyable.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Solutions to this problem have been discussed multiple times. Simply restricting posting privileges won't necessarily make people better forum members - noobs will be noobs and they'll start making stupid threads as soon as they are allowed to. Essays for new members just mean more work for the moderators.