• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cubicle vs Speedcubeshop Debate

Which cube store do you prefer?

• TheCubicle

Votes: 128 71.5%
  • Speedcubeshop

Votes: 51 28.5%

• Total voters

Kaiju_cube

weird when I saw it last it was $99. but I haven't looked at it in a while.

That's a much more reasonable price.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
weird when I saw it last it was $99. but I haven't looked at it in a while.

That's a much more reasonable price.
The tournament display is over $100, there is actually a yuxin display which is what I got and is cheaper and still connects to speedstacks timers but harder to find.

AlgoCuber

Here is my detailed opinion on SCS vs theCubicle

Price

Sometimes SCS has cubes that are a little cheaper than the cubes in theCubicle, and sometimes the other way around. But, SCS prices end in .95, making them 4 cents cheaper most of the time. The price is comparable. However, you pay $45 or more for free shipping on theCubicle and $55 or more for SCS. But, if you pay less than $45, SCS charges less for shipping. SCS wins this time.

Puzzles
I find that they both sell factory puzzles at around the same price, with theCubicle having a little more cubes. They both have their own "premium" line of cubes, where they set up your cube. On the plus side though, SCS also has Unicube, which lets you pick and choose whatever options you want. You also even have the option to PVC coat your cube w/ Exoshield. A lot of features. But, one could argue that theCubicle sets up their cubes better (Which I agree with). Most people just buy factory cubes though. They also have cool mats and timer overlays, which I like. I'm going to call this a win for theCubicle, just because they have more factory puzzles and are slightly better at setting up cubes.

Lube
I'm going to make this a seperate category because their lubes are both great. I'm going to list a few below

theCubicle has:
DNM-37
Silk
Mystic
Gravitas
Compound X
Celeritas
Dignitas
Lubicle Speedy
Lubicle Black
Lubicle 1
Weight lube

SCS has:
Seasonal cosmic lube
Martian
Lunar
Galaxy
Nebula
Cosmic
Comet
Vortex
Speed Lube

To be honest, I'll have to give it to SCS becuase their lubes are cheaper and they have so many cosmic lubes. My favorite lube is Martian, because it speeds up your cube, and also adds that super smooth and slightly gummy feel. It doesn't take away control, either. Seasonal lubes are always welcome. Samplers are also great because it's cheaper than the regular price and you can experiment with different lube combinations. A lot of theCubicle's lubes are the equivalent of SCS lubes, but they are more expensive and I like SCS lube bottles more.

UI
SCS wins IMO. It has a very nice text and front page, and it looks modern. But, it is a little harder to navigate because it has a lot of spacings and small text. TheCubicle is a little bit worse, but still okay. It is easier to navigate, and I think that they categorize things better. I'll give it to SCS for this, only because it feels more comfortable for me.

Edit: A lot of SCS's UI is redundant and a little distracting. Now, I'll give it a win for theCubicle because it seems more professional and less redundant

Conclusion: SCS wins, but you're definitely not making the wrong choice by buying from theCubicle. They're most amazing cube shops. When I pay above $45 and below $55, I always buy from theCubicle (Because who doesn't like free shipping?)

P.S. I have only placed one order from both shops, and that one was a $45-$55 order from theCubicle

Last edited:

rubik2005

Here is my detailed opinion on SCS vs theCubicle

Price

Sometimes SCS has cubes that are a little cheaper than the cubes in theCubicle, and sometimes the other way around. But, SCS prices end in .95, making them 4 cents cheaper most of the time. The price is comparable. However, you pay $45 or more for free shipping on theCubicle and $55 or more for SCS. But, if you pay less than $45, SCS charges less for shipping. SCS wins this time.

Puzzles
I find that the factory puzzles they both sell are around the same, with theCubicle having a little more cubes. They both have their own "premium" line of cubes, where they set up your cube. On the plus side though, SCS also has Unicube, which lets you pick and choose whatever options you want. You also even have the option to PVC coat your cube w/ Exoshield. A lot of features. Most people just buy factory cubes though. They also have cool mats and timer overlays, which I like. I'm going to call this a win for theCubicle, just because they have more factory puzzles.

Lube
I'm going to make this a seperate category because their lubes are both great. I'm going to list a few below

theCubicle has:
DNM-37
Silk
Mystic
Gravitas
Compound X
Celeritas
Dignitas
Lubicle Speedy
Lubicle Black
Lubicle 1
Weight lube

SCS has:
Seasonal cosmic lube
Martian
Lunar
Galaxy
Nebula
Cosmic
Comet
Vortex
Speed Lube

To be honest, I'll have to give it to SCS becuase their lubes are cheaper and they have so many cosmic lubes. My favorite lube is Martian, because it speeds up your cube, and also adds that super smooth and slightly gummy feel. It doesn't take away control, either. Seasonal lubes are always welcome. A lot of theCubicle's lubes are the equivalent of SCS lubes, but they are more expensive and I like SCS lube bottles more.

UI
SCS wins IMO. It has a very nice text and front page, and it looks modern. But, it is a little harder to navigate because it has a lot of spacings and small text. TheCubicle is a little bit worse, but still okay. It is easier to navigate, and I think that they categorize things better. I'll give it to SCS for this, only because it feels more comfortable for me.

Conclusion: SCS wins, but you're definitely not making the wrong choice by buying from theCubicle. They're most amazing cube shops. When I pay above $45 and below $55, I always buy from theCubicle (Because who doesn't like free shipping?)

P.S. I have only placed one order from both shops, and that one was a $45-$55 order from theCubicle
I disagree with a few things here, but SCS's UI does not look pleasant to me.
1.) They just have way too many things in the way (wishlist, get-to-the-top arrow, rewards, and the little thing in the bottom left corner that says "X people online" and "Someone in Y bought X" which I honestly don't care about.

2) So it's just way too distracting trying to look at a product,

3.) On top of the fact that the picture changes whenever I hover over it.

4.) Also, if scroll down on the home page, the top black bar gets smaller, and this all to me forms chaos.

TheCubicle's site is just 100 times cleaner, right when you scroll you get a glimpse of the new arrivals (which I prefer), they have a few Instagram posts at the bottom (which is convenient), and they have a pretty neat way of organizing products.

TheCubicle wins for me. It's objectively more professional (though some think this is more of a subjective matter), and there are 50 other topics that I can talk about, but I'm not trying to write a 1,500 word essay.

AlgoCuber

I disagree with a few things here, but SCS's UI does not look pleasant to me.
1.) They just have way too many things in the way (wishlist, get-to-the-top arrow, rewards, and the little thing in the bottom left corner that says "X people online" and "Someone in Y bought X" which I honestly don't care about.

2) So it's just way too distracting trying to look at a product,

3.) On top of the fact that the picture changes whenever I hover over it.

4.) Also, if scroll down on the home page, the top black bar gets smaller, and this all to me forms chaos.

TheCubicle's site is just 100 times cleaner, right when you scroll you get a glimpse of the new arrivals (which I prefer), they have a few Instagram posts at the bottom (which is convenient), and they have a pretty neat way of organizing products.

TheCubicle wins for me. It's objectively more professional (though some think this is more of a subjective matter), and there are 50 other topics that I can talk about, but I'm not trying to write a 1,500 word essay.
You're right. Some of SCS's UI is redundant and kinda distracting. I changed my mind after navigating through the sites a few more times, theCubicle wins in this category. Now, I would put them at around the same level, with SCS being slightly better IMO.

rubik2005

You're right. Some of SCS's UI is redundant and kinda distracting. I changed my mind after navigating through the sites a few more times, theCubicle wins in this category. Now, I would put them at around the same level, with SCS being slightly better IMO.
Yea this is almost all subjective, and it also has to do with a mix of personal level and practicality. There's some people in California who would rather wait extra days and shop at TC, while others just shop at SCS to get their cubes faster.

I've taught about making a video about comparing the two sites, but 1) I don't know if I really have anything new to add, and 2) I don't even have a channel lol.

Kaiju_cube

not sure where people are seeing $30. speedstack displays..

$113.

that's what I meant when I said, "the big display you can plug into it and mount on the table. "

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
UI
SCS wins IMO.
My number 1 reason for not shopping at SCS is their user interface. I find it so distracting will the way the page is constantly loading and changing as you scroll. Hands down my least favorite UI of all the cubing stores.

edit: fixed my atrocious spelling.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think the official speedstacks display is available for under $90. Which is so ridiculously expensive that it actually makes financial sense to produce a homemade DIY display.

On topic: I haven't used any SCS lubes, but I really like all Cubicle lubes I've tried: DNM, silk, mystic, angstrom. Especially mystic.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
In contrast to what I said in the previous post, I appreciate Cameron showing more of his personality and stories on SCS. Phil has some personality but a lot of his personal thoughts are on his personal channel.

rubik2005

In contrast to what I said in the previous post, I appreciate Cameron showing more of his personality and stories on SCS. Phil has some personality but a lot of his personal thoughts are on his personal channel.
Phil probably does so for a reason though. I think of The Cubicle's YouTube channel as a "business" channel where you get a more "straight-to-the-point" thoughts about products as well as some opinions from a variety of people. Then they have Twitch which Phil really just shows who he is.

Sometimes it's beneficial to have this division since
1.) The audience can choose between what they want to hear ("facts/overview of a product" or awesome cubing stories)
2.) You have more flexibility yourself since you can dedicate certain aspects to each platform. Since SCS doesn't have Twitch, they kinda have to merge everything into YouTube.

It's honestly a personal preference thing when it comes to the viewer, and I enjoy watching both of their content which is what matters at the end of the day.

robdawg421

I buy from SCS, TC and cubedepot.. mostly SCS because I live in California.. but if something isnt in stock just hop to the next store.

Ive been exclusively using the SCS lubes.. the cubicle lubes look nice but was hard to figure what purpose all the types had.

Plus.. when I started cubing in maybe 2013.. the main commercial lube you could get was lubicle.. and it always bothered me it was like $20 for what seemed to be differential oil.. which is like $3.99 for 50ml. So kinda rubbed me the wrong way to have such a price margin just to get a syringe with the oil.

So.. competition is great :)