• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cubicle vs Speedcubeshop Debate

Which cube store do you prefer?

• TheCubicle

Votes: 128 71.5%
  • Speedcubeshop

Votes: 51 28.5%

• Total voters

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
The speed stacks stuff is expensive simply because there isn’t much market competition. There have been some other brands attempting timers recently but speed stacks has been in the game for so long and has such a massive portion of current market share they can charge whatever they want.

I do agree it’s ridiculous how much money is demanded for how simple these objects are to design and fabricate.
I think it could be a fun project to write some arduino code to read the stackmat audio format and translate that to the timer.
I'll file that away to my list of projects I'll never get to.

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few years ago I made a series of videos where I made a purchase at the same time from multiple different speed cube shops (cubicle, speedcubeshop, cubedepot, cubes4speed, and lightake). I also sent emails to everyone checking their customer service. In the end I did an unboxing checking to make sure the orders were correct and ranked each company based on service/time to ship, etc.

I don't make videos anymore, and have deleted my old YouTube account, but someone should do this again. Would definitely be a good watch.

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly this is not worth $32. It's less complex than a digital watch and it should be $10.

And why is the display over $100!?
I could slap together an arduino module and display for a lot less. For a mini in college on 3D printing and basic fabrication, I built a digital clock that used a very similar 7seg display over I2C. @cyoubx video idea
I agree. All of it is way to overpriced.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
ya why are they not that way is it because speed stacking using the thousandths place?
because usually for cubing we do use X.XX not X.XXX
Extra accuracy can't hurt, and some people like Lucas Etter use the thousandths place in practice, however its only useful if you want that extra bit of accuracy

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I looked again carefully at SCS's page and it is legitimately harder to navigate the site than TC's. I think it's because SCS has so much whitespace and so small text. Here are the two pages at the same zoom level:

Screenshot from 2020-12-12 20-47-29.png

Screenshot from 2020-12-12 20-47-10.png

I have a 24" monitor and the SCS page is harder to read and the info is so tiny. I feel like I'm straining my eyes and wasting time looking at whitespace. There's also annoying sidebar crap like an extremely distracting popup telling me someone in the US bought something and uselss sidebar icons that no one uses. This also makes SCS's site load about twice as slow.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I looked again carefully at SCS's page and it is legitimately harder to navigate the site than TC's. I think it's because SCS has so much whitespace and so small text. Here are the two pages at the same zoom level:

View attachment 14226

View attachment 14227

I have a 24" monitor and the SCS page is harder to read and the info is so tiny. I feel like I'm straining my eyes and wasting time looking at whitespace. There's also annoying sidebar crap like an extremely distracting popup telling me someone in the US bought something and uselss sidebar icons that no one uses. This also makes SCS's site load about twice as slow.
I never understood the purpose of the popup. I'm just looking at sticker shades and the popup comes up, is that supposed to convince me that people actually shop there? I know that people use SCS products since I see them all the time at competitions, so why would I need to know that this guy from DC bought a redi cube? I'm also not quite sure if the product purchases are 100% legitimate since it shows towns in my state, and I know there is no way that there were 20 people in my state that made an order on SCS in the last hour. BTW the average comp in my area is around 105 people (EDIT: Someone a town over apparently ordered a Lingao 15 minutes ago, definitely illegitimate "orders")

Their website is better than the old cubicle site, but the new cubicle site is 100% better.

However, I'm glad SCS did away with the super obnoxious backgrounds on their premium puzzles. It looks like they just threw a can of paint on a canvas and put a cube in front of it.

The selection of Cubicle premium products is also far FAR better. There are very specific lubricants that appeal to a particular feeling; I'm glad that I can choose between a soft and plush Mystic setup or a fast and crisp Celeritas setup. I also like how TC tells you what lubricants are actually inside of the puzzle. SCS's description of their premium products doesn't show what's in them, so If I really liked the setup then I wouldn't be able to tell which lubes were in it so I would know which lubes are best for me. Not to mention it seems like their Cosmic and Supernova cubes are the exact same except Supernova cubes take less break-in and wear out quicker.

I'm also not convinced that most of the cosmic lube (aside from lunar) are different fundamentally. They seem like carbon copies of each other with a fancy new color and a different viscosity. Every single cubicle lube that isn't their weighted silicone lubricants are very unique and each bring something new to the table, it doesn't feel like they just slightly altered silk and called it a new lube. The properties of TC lubes are also very unique and helpful. One of my favorites is Lubicle-1. The only real knock on it is that the batches are super inconsistent, but if you get a good batch, it's a REALLY good batch. The Teflon makes a big difference in puzzles that just need a refresh. Normally if a cube's lube is dying you would have to clean out then reapply lube the whole thing, but Lubicle-1 can extend the lifespan of your lubricants tenfold if not more. Just one drop speeds it up to where it was when it was at its prime 9/10 times in my case.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't speak for SCS premium setups but from what I've heard from a friend they are pretty good. I'm also not sure of the difference between Cosmic and Supernova.

I agree with you on the lube thing too. I have not used many of Cubicle's lubes, including their compound X, lubicle 1, speedy, mystic, max, celeritas, etc. but the ones I have used (DNM and silk) do their job reliably and very well. The SCS lubes appear to be all silicone, even their fastest lube which I think is lunar. That doesn't include the core lubes which might be better. Idk I always use traxxas just because that's what I'm used to, although that can feel gummy so maybe I'll try a different core lube.

I'll give credit where it's due: SCS has a PVC coating service that I think is really interesting and totally unique from any other cube store. It's a shame that cubicle got rid of their boron treated cubes because I think those were popular and people would pay a lot for them.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't speak for SCS premium setups but from what I've heard from a friend they are pretty good. I'm also not sure of the difference between Cosmic and Supernova.

I agree with you on the lube thing too. I have not used many of Cubicle's lubes, including their compound X, lubicle 1, speedy, mystic, max, celeritas, etc. but the ones I have used (DNM and silk) do their job reliably and very well. The SCS lubes appear to be all silicone, even their fastest lube which I think is lunar. That doesn't include the core lubes which might be better. Idk I always use traxxas just because that's what I'm used to, although that can feel gummy so maybe I'll try a different core lube.

I'll give credit where it's due: SCS has a PVC coating service that I think is really interesting and totally unique from any other cube store. It's a shame that cubicle got rid of their boron treated cubes because I think those were popular and people would pay a lot for them.
I'm 99% sure that Supernova cubes just have less lube in them so they break in faster.

The core lubes from SCS are also straight ripoffs of cubicle products. I mean come on, Vortex coming out a few months after Lubicle Black that not only claims to have the same effects but is also the same exact pitch-black color that will stain your hands. Controlius (now called Cosmos which is a much better name IMO) is also just crappy Compound X that doesn't smell as nice.

Boron Cubes had to be discontinued for safety concerns. It used a chemical called THF which is not only extremely easy to combust, but prolonged exposure to a high amount also causes some fun stuff like loss of consciousness and death, so that's pretty cool. They were also pretty expensive, and making your own isn't that hard since you don't actually need THF (tutorial linked here)

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought Vortex was supposed to not stain your hands? I have not tried any of the cosmic lubes and I haven't seen a comprehensive cubicle vs scs lube comparison though I'd be interested to see it.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought Vortex was supposed to not stain your hands? I have not tried any of the cosmic lubes and I haven't seen a comprehensive cubicle vs scs lube comparison though I'd be interested to see it.
It might not stain your hands to the degree that lubicle black does, but there is no way that it won't stain something else, plus as long as you are using gloves it doesn't matter in the first place

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never understood the purpose of the popup. I'm just looking at sticker shades and the popup comes up, is that supposed to convince me that people actually shop there? I know that people use SCS products since I see them all the time at competitions, so why would I need to know that this guy from DC bought a redi cube? I'm also not quite sure if the product purchases are 100% legitimate since it shows towns in my state, and I know there is no way that there were 20 people in my state that made an order on SCS in the last hour. BTW the average comp in my area is around 105 people (EDIT: Someone a town over apparently ordered a Lingao 15 minutes ago, definitely illegitimate "orders")

Their website is better than the old cubicle site, but the new cubicle site is 100% better.

However, I'm glad SCS did away with the super obnoxious backgrounds on their premium puzzles. It looks like they just threw a can of paint on a canvas and put a cube in front of it.

The selection of Cubicle premium products is also far FAR better. There are very specific lubricants that appeal to a particular feeling; I'm glad that I can choose between a soft and plush Mystic setup or a fast and crisp Celeritas setup. I also like how TC tells you what lubricants are actually inside of the puzzle. SCS's description of their premium products doesn't show what's in them, so If I really liked the setup then I wouldn't be able to tell which lubes were in it so I would know which lubes are best for me. Not to mention it seems like their Cosmic and Supernova cubes are the exact same except Supernova cubes take less break-in and wear out quicker.

I'm also not convinced that most of the cosmic lube (aside from lunar) are different fundamentally. They seem like carbon copies of each other with a fancy new color and a different viscosity. Every single cubicle lube that isn't their weighted silicone lubricants are very unique and each bring something new to the table, it doesn't feel like they just slightly altered silk and called it a new lube. The properties of TC lubes are also very unique and helpful. One of my favorites is Lubicle-1. The only real knock on it is that the batches are super inconsistent, but if you get a good batch, it's a REALLY good batch. The Teflon makes a big difference in puzzles that just need a refresh. Normally if a cube's lube is dying you would have to clean out then reapply lube the whole thing, but Lubicle-1 can extend the lifespan of your lubricants tenfold if not more. Just one drop speeds it up to where it was when it was at its prime 9/10 times in my case.
You would be surprised, only after growing my store I realise just how many people buy from cube stores who are not competitive speedcubers, often just gifts for their kids who are interested in cubing for a few months and then quit.

Max Zemdegs

I shop SCS and have never used TC before, I literally order a x-man volt v2 arriving today. I shop SCS Mainly because I strangely feel that I am betraying SCS and have guilt whenever I think of buying from TC. It's really stupid, especially since TC generally offers more cubes and more services. Am I stupid?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if PVC coating is useful it isn't worth 24.95, it just makes your cube slightly grippier.
I agree 100%. The old saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", and SCS tried to fix what wasn't broken. Sure, its 100x better than matte plastic, but does making your cube have a slightly better grip matter that much? I mean for the same price of a PVC Cosmic RS3M 2020 you can get a 10 cc bottle of Mystic, DNM, Compound X, Silk, and Lubicle 1 with 2 bucks to spare.

I shop SCS and have never used TC before, I literally order a x-man volt v2 arriving today. I shop SCS Mainly because I strangely feel that I am betraying SCS and have guilt whenever I think of buying from TC. It's really stupid, especially since TC generally offers more cubes and more services. Am I stupid?
Maybe. If you haven't tried TC products then it's worth the purchase to see if you like them more. I've tried a few supernova cubes at competitions and I defiantly prefer Cubicle Premium setups.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree 100%. The old saying goes, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", and SCS tried to fix what wasn't broken. Sure, its 100x better than matte plastic, but does making your cube have a slightly better grip matter that much?
I don't get it... you say "don't fix what isn't broken" but isn't matte plastic a problem that needs to be fixed?

D

Deleted member 55877

I don't get it... you say "don't fix what isn't broken" but isn't matte plastic a problem that needs to be fixed?
Not really. The matte finish wears off over time, and it eventually gets glossy and grippy

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a solution to a problem that didn't exist that is now a problem that does exist if that makes any sense.
Sorry, my wording was super confusing, I was meaning that at least SCS had a better approach to outer plastic than manufacturers.

Kaiju_cube

I don't mind the price for the timer (speedstacks) nearly as much as I mind the $100. price for the big display you can plug into it and mount on the table.