• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cubicle vs Speedcubeshop Debate

Which cube store do you prefer?

• TheCubicle

Votes: 131 70.8%
  • Speedcubeshop

Votes: 54 29.2%

• Total voters

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
He basically just turns the cube slowly, claims its strong, calls it a day. Lmao cubes always feel like they have strong magnets if turned slowly. What a joke.
I watched one of his reviews for a 2x2 recently and it was the same style of review. No actual turning or executing of algs. Extremely uninformative

Mr. McCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
The cubicle has a timer AND mat for 23$
thats the speedstacks edge

• Eyes Up
Reactions: qwr

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It like a mini budget timer. its smaller and only times up to 0.00 instead of the gen 4 which is 0.000. IMO It's decent
The thousands place isn’t even used and the small size is fine since everything still fits on the mat. The timer itself is also very hard to accidentally reset during a solve so I’m not sure what your getting at

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
If we're on the topic, why can't a Chinese company make a good cheap timer. I mean the Speedstacks ones are probably made in China too.

TNL Cubing

YouTube
Visit Channel

It's alright. The finish and shape is not as nice as speedstacks imo, but the button placement is much better, practically impossible to accidentally reset or turn off.

the yj timer and the qiyi timer are both very cheap

I haven't tried the qiyi, looks a bit like a speedstacks clone, with some extra features. Unfortunately - unlike YJ - qiyi made no other innovations (correct me if I'm wrong) and the buttons are still in a terrible position :/

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish companies actually made something similar to speedstacks timer, with the button replacement and all that, but its actually designed for cubing in the first place. Its not exactly ergonomic for speedcubing, and i know the yj and qiyi timers, but the button placement on qiyi as @TNL Cubing said it was in a terrible posititon, and the yj timer might actually be good, but it probably has some flaws in it too. Maybe as a starter we can change the speedstacks so it shows 0.00, instead of 0.000, because in WCA when you are using the timers it is rounded down to 0.00. You dont have to do this though.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish companies actually made something similar to speedstacks timer, with the button replacement and all that, but its actually designed for cubing in the first place. Its not exactly ergonomic for speedcubing, and i know the yj and qiyi timers, but the button placement on qiyi as @TNL Cubing said it was in a terrible posititon, and the yj timer might actually be good, but it probably has some flaws in it too. Maybe as a starter we can change the speedstacks so it shows 0.00, instead of 0.000, because in WCA when you are using the timers it is rounded down to 0.00. You dont have to do this though.
The issue for me is that other cubing timers are not nearly as comfortable for long sessions because of there shapes

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly this is not worth $32. It's less complex than a digital watch and it should be $10.

And why is the display over $100!?
I could slap together an arduino module and display for a lot less. For a mini in college on 3D printing and basic fabrication, I built a digital clock that used a very similar 7seg display over I2C. @cyoubx video idea

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly this is not worth $32. It's less complex than a digital watch and it should be $10.

And why is the display over $100!?
I could slap together an arduino module and display for a lot less. For a mini in college on 3D printing and basic fabrication, I built a digital clock that used a very similar 7seg display over I2C. @cyoubx video idea
The speed stacks stuff is expensive simply because there isn’t much market competition. There have been some other brands attempting timers recently but speed stacks has been in the game for so long and has such a massive portion of current market share they can charge whatever they want.

I do agree it’s ridiculous how much money is demanded for how simple these objects are to design and fabricate.