• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cubicle vs Speedcubeshop Debate

Which cube store do you prefer?

• TheCubicle

Votes: 128 71.5%
  • Speedcubeshop

Votes: 51 28.5%

• Total voters

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which store is better, The Cubicle, or SpeedCubeShop? Which premium service is better? Who has the most innovation? These questions and more answered by the community here at Speedsolving.com! We have heard many opinions about various cube manufacturers, but how do the 2 biggest retailers of cubes in the US stack up? (There are more cube stores out there but this thread is specifically focused on The Cubicle and SCS)

sumtingwong

Overall thecubicle is more innovative than scs IMO. Thecubicle offers everything scs has other than pvc coating. cubicle has internal coatings a huge variety of lubes, while the only thing I can think of from scs is just lubes and pvc coating.

As far as premium services, cubicle offers more variety and from what I heard is overall better than scs.

As for how much each is involved with the cubing community I'm going to give a slight edge to thecuiblce since they host unofficial events and championships as well as online comps now. SCS did hold unofficial comps at their office.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The cubicle has always appealed more to me than SCS. I feel their product descriptions are more clear and the graphic user interface of the site is less obnoxious than SCS when browsing. I don't like how when scrolling down on SCS you have to wait for the next line of products to appear with the "fade in left to right" animation style.

The cubicle also has a much much better selection of non-WCA puzzles which appeals to me alot. I've benefited form their rewards program and they always have the accessories i need. I'm 100% satisfied with my Angstrom and Cubicle pro shop puzzles and have not had a reason to try out SCS given im 100% satisfied with all my cubicle orders.

Hazel

Premium Member
I used to prefer The Cubicle, but I switched to SCS once I became fed up with non-premium Cubicle orders taking upwards of a week to ship. But I switched back to TC once their processing time quickened, because TC is close to where I live so shipping is faster.
I also prefer the premium cubes of TC. They're both really good, though.

BradyCubes08

WCA
2018WROT01
I mean pretty much they are the same store aside from lubes, premium products etc.
I like SCS because they overall have better customer support and shipping.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I find the cubicle to be the store that fits the needs and wants of the community better. I also think that the cubicle is on another level of innovation over SCS. The only original thing that SCS came up with was the PVC coating and I'm not sure how necessary that is. I have not tried it myself but I don't have any issues with the current plastic on any of my cubes having bad grip so far *cough cough* gan frosted plastic *cough cough*. I would also like to mention the release dates of their cosmic lube and vortex lube being just behind the release dates of silk and lubicle black respectively. Make of that what you will but I think you can tell what I'm trying to say here. I can guarantee you right now that hardware would not be even close to where it is today if The Cubicle never introduced magnets. Couple that with new innovations like the new MAX line of lubes and its clear to me what store to purchase cubes from. I would also like to mention how I also like the wide variety of non-WCA puzzles on the cubicle as well as their custom service that allows you to make the perfect cube for you.

Timoth3

Between thecubicle and scs, I prefer thecubicle. Their prices are very close to each other and I never use the premium services so... I just kinda picked to shop at the cubicle. I think TC has more and better sales imo than scs. So I guess that is what draws me to them. Personal favorite in the US is cubedepot though.
Edit: Geez Owen, I posted this 10 seconds ago. You must have great reflexes cause that was a crazy fast reaction.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is a gen 4 stackmat timer that you can get at thecubicle for fourteen dollars, but at scs for twenty bucks.
No one sells a gen 4 timer for 14 or 20 dollars. Where is your evidence for this?

This says 32 dollars.

This also says 32 dollars.

The cubicle has a timer AND mat for 23$

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For me, the main differences between SCS and TC are:
TC has more products on sale, more often.
For TC you have to pay $39 for free shipping and SCS you have to pay $49.
TC has a more rewarding loyalty program.

That being said, I have nothing against SCS (Especially their customer service) and I’ll order from them if something is out of stock at TC.
I can guarantee you right now that hardware would not be even close to where it is today if The Cubicle never introduced magnets. Couple that with new innovations like the new MAX line of lubes and its clear to me what store to purchase cubes from.
I wouldn’t really say that the MAX lubes are “new innovations” because all TC did was make lubes with a slightly different use/feel. Not to say that it is not a good contribution to lubricants though.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Phil uses ZZ and that's cool. I've bought most of my cubes from the cubicle because they were the first shop I found like 5 years ago.
Chris Tran also uses ZZ which is also cool. He made so pretty cool lubes and some pretty cool cube innovations.
I haven't bought anything from scs but I don't have anything against them.

And I honestly prefer CubeDepotusa because they're cheaper than both stores, assuming they have the product (but their stock isn't great).

EvanTheCuber

Is Cosmic and Supernova better than the Cubicle customs? I want to get the cubicle customs.