• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Carrot is hiring new staff writers

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lucas Garron, also a well known contributor to the speedcubing community said he was working on an automatic reconstruction software that would be able to give the reconstruction of a solve from a video. "I have been thinking about it for a long time. The recent progress in term of pattern recognition has now made it possible". He admitted though that Brest would probably have finished before the program is fully tested and running.

How could you know? It's a secret project! :eek::confused:

reconstructron_feliks_566.png

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
carrot.gif

Definition of "Colour Netural" updated in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(Earth, Western Spiral Arm) - It is not common knowledge that there are in fact two distinct entries about Earth in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

1) About Earth itself, "Harmless." Later updated to "Mostly harmless."

2) Earth's definition of "Colour Neutral." According to president Ojava of Earth, CN means zero bias. If you timed Feliks, not all six colours would have the same average. This definition would be forced to declare that Feliks was not, in fact, colour neutral. Any scientist worth his salt at this point would have to stop and reflect and wonder if maybe he had taken one too many philosophy courses...

Nonetheless...your editor has decided that henceforth what he does in a speedsolve shall now be called, "Mostly Colour Netural." That should satisfy all parties and save face for everyone, yes? I think it has a nice ring to it, to be honest.

Brest

Staff member
YouTube
Visit Channel
In an attempt to understand the cheating, someone known as 'Brest' in speedcubing forums has decided to reconstruct every solves of every competitors, which means checking on a video every moves done by competitors while solving the cube in order to check if the initial position was the one obtained after the WCA scrambles. This task is really difficult because most solves were not recorded properly on a video camera and Brest has to work with records from security cameras without focus on the competitors and with some of them in gray shades. Also some judges, competitors passing by may hide the person solving. In the last update, Brest said that he was done for about 75% of all 3x3 solves but that he was intending to do the same for other events as well, even maybe for some previous competitions. He also expressed his regrets that not every solves have been recorded on camera, something that the WCA should think about.
blush.gif
This is eerily close to the truth... Good stuff!

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Haven't been very active lately, but thought you should know that Lucas set me up with http://carrot.cubing.net/. There are also some great articles in this thread I'd like to put on the site (with your permission). But for now, here's the latest article:

Area Man Has Never Peeled Stickers Off
He has never taken his cube apart either

(LOS ANGELES) – TODAY’S human interest story comes from Southern California, where 35-year-old Jason Kuhn was revealed to have never taken the stickers off his cube and rearranged them to appear as though he had solved it.

Kuhn invited us to his East Los Angeles home where he has lived all his life. “Sure, I had a Rubik’s cube,” he said, digging through a dusty box he pulled from his attic. “It was a huge fad when I was growing up in the 80′s. All my friends had one.”

He finally found the cube under a pile of old Transformers toys. It’s still mostly scrambled, but the beginnings of one layer were visibly in progress. The stickers, while worn, are still neat and stuck on tightly. “Yeah, I never felt like taking them off. It just felt like cheating, you know? Also I was a terrible nail-biter as a kid and was never able to peel them off cleanly.”

Friends and classmates had no such qualms. “Every other day someone would bring a solved cube to school in triumph. You could usually tell they cheated though, they always had shoddy misaligned stickering.”

Kuhn might never have been discovered if not for Daniel Lee, 15, one of the burgeoning new generation of speedcubers who weren’t even alive during the original Rubik’s cube boom in the 1980′s. Lee recalled, “I was just practicing my one-hand solving at the bus stop and [Jason] approached me. He told me he had one as a kid. I figured the next thing he was going to say was ‘I used to peel the stickers off,’ but I was surprised.”

Asked what he was going to do now, Kuhn looked thoughtfully at his old cube and said “Well, I might finally figure out how to solve it, now that all the kids are doing it legitimately. I really don’t know if it makes me that special, that I never peeled the stickers off. I don’t think I’m going to let it affect my personal life or go to my head or anything. I’m just like anyone else, trying to live one day at a time.”​

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
He said he had just started. The first one is translated, the rest are not yet.

Oh, I see. I was confused because the first one is in English and then repeated in French, but the title doesn't match. I checked the first and last and assumed none of them are translated.

cyril

7x7x7 scrambles replaced by checkerboard pretty pattern
No more nervous breakdowns during scrambling

pons.png

Checkerboard pattern, also known as Pons Asinorum. Screen capture (c) Reuters 2011.

AMSTERDAM - WCA board announced yesterday a revolution in the world of big cubes. From January 1st 2012 on, 7x7x7 cubes will not be scrambled anymore during competitions. Instead, cubers will have to perform a sequence of moves known as "checkerboard pattern" or "Pons Asinorum", starting from the solved state of the cube. In his official statement, president Ron van Bruchem explains that the idea arose during World Rubik's Cube Championship in Bangkok, Thailand: "35 competitors registered for the first round of 7x7x7, and this turned out to be a nightmare. One of the randomly generated scrambles was particularly difficult, and despite our efforts none of the scramblers was able to obtain the correct scrambled state. I have to confess that we ended up peeling the stickers off the 35 cubes. Many WCA delegates admitted after this fiasco that they had done the same in the past, when they found 7x7x7 scrambles too treacherous".

Spectacular action
With this new rule, solving the 7x7x7 is expected to become much more spectacular, fun, and popular amongst cubers. WCA board member Tyson Mao remembers when Rubik's Magic and Rubik's Master Magic were introduced as official events: "At first, cubers were a bit puzzled about the idea of having to solve always the same scramble, but nowadays they got used to it. Plus, the checkerboard pattern is much more complicated than the Magic solution, since it involves a tremendous amount of slice moves. I am looking forward to seeing how fast guys like Kevin, Bence or Feliks can be with the new rule. For sure, this will be the main event of WC2013, which will be held in my backyard in two years".

Pillowed cubes issue solved
In his official statement, Ron van Bruchem also insisted on the fact that the controversy about pillowed 7x7x7 cubes (expert competitors have developed techniques allowing them to be able to see all the stickers simultaneously on such cubes without rotating the puzzle) is now over: "This is great news, since it does not matter anymore if competitors can see more stickers than on cubic-shaped puzzles! 7x7x7 is just the beginning, 5x5x5 and 3x3x3 will follow soon. We are working on other cubes such as 2x2x2 and 4x4x4, but so far Cube Explorer has not been able to generate solutions to the Pons Asinorum pattern for even cubes. This is just a matter of time".

V-Cubes announces new V-Cube 7
As soon as the news spread, Greek inventor Panagiotis Verdes announced that his company will soon commercialize a special version of the 7-layer cube: "The new V-Cube 7 will be natively stickered with the checkerboard pattern. This way, performing the required sequence of moves will actually solve the puzzle! Surely, this will blow cubers' minds, and we hope that this long-awaited new V-Cube will be a big hit next Christmas". Meanwhile, youtube star Billy "MeMyselfAndPi" Hansen has already published videos showing how simple modifications of the inner structure will boost 7x7x7 solves: "With my new 7x7x7 mod, only half turns are possible: no more silly mistakes while building the checkerboard pattern! Besides, it becomes possible to rotate as many orthogonal slices simultaneously as one wants! WCA board is currently analyzing if this breaks the rules, but I am pretty confident they will accept modded cubes, since this will make solving the 7x7x7 even more spectacular".

With the new rule taking effect in two months, everyone will have the opportunity to become a world-record holder. Already 42 competitions around the world featuring the new 7x7x7 event have been announced on WCA website for January 1st.

The Carrot - C. Castella

Thanks alot for this awesome thread idea !

Hippolyte!!!

WCA
2008MORE02
OFFICIAL WCA NOTATION UPDATED
Owen notation finally substituted to the old in the official rules

After a long debate in NY last sunday, the WCA board announced that very important change. For several reason, they took the decision to adopted Owen notation as the new official notation. That implies changes into the WCA scramblers, and the competitors must also use it for the Fewest Moves event. WCA board member Tyson Mao said to us at the end of the debate: "I wasn't first very fine with that, but Ron conviced us, and it finally appears to me as the only possible way, even I can't really remember why... For sure, it maintains a certain mysterious aspect..."
We could reach several famous cubers to obtain their opinion. Former pyraminx record holder Oscar Roth Andersen answer when we ask him: "Nooo, it's fun! It's like a new challenge! I stopped pyraminx for a while and started to timed me for spelling some algorithms like superflip. I think I can get a sub-10 average!"
But everyone doesn't accept that with smile. French ex-board member Gilles Roux claim that "WCA took a few absurd decisions since my left, but this is certainly the worst ever. Now when I spell an alg, it sounds like tribal incantations!"
At last, we could speak with the young inventor Owen Lennon who said: "Sure, I'm happy that my work was finally recognized, but I felt like... I think I must now create a more complicated notation".

12/06/2011
Hippolyte -bad english- Moreau​

PS to the mods: Sorry, I just saw that the topic about that was closed and lot of posts delated, but I've already written this, so I hope it will not a problem.

Last edited:
WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
OFFICIAL WCA NOTATION UPDATED
Owen notation finally substituted to the old in the official rules

After a long debate in NY last sunday, the WCA board announced that very important change. For several reason, they took the decision to adopted Owen notation as the new official notation. That implies changes into the WCA scramblers, and the competitors must also use it for the Fewest Moves event. WCA board member Tyson Mao said to us at the end of the debate: "I wasn't first very fine with that, but Ron conviced us, and it finally appears to me as the only possible way, even I can't really remember why... For sure, it maintains a certain mysterious aspect..."
We could reach several famous cubers to obtain their opinion. Former pyraminx record holder Oscar Roth Andersen answer when we ask him: "Nooo, it's fun! It's like a new challenge! I stopped pyraminx for a while and started to timed me for spelling some algorithms like superflip. I think I can get a sub-10 average!"
But everyone doesn't accept that with smile. French ex-board member Gilles Roux claim that "WCA took a few absurd decisions since my left, but this is certainly the worst ever. Now when I spell an alg, it sounds like tribal incantations!"
At last, we could speak with the young inventor Owen Lennon who said: "Sure, I'm happy that my work was finally recognized, but I felt like... I think I must now create a more complicated notation".

12/06/2011
Hippolyte -bad english- Moreau​

PS to the mods: Sorry, I just saw that the topic about that was closed and lot of posts delated, but I've already written this, so I hope it will not a problem.

Made me laugh a lot! :D

"V-cubes claims Rubik's products infringes V-cube patent: Colors"

This reminds me of something... :p

(Bump for an epic thread)

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Magic and Master Magic removed from WCA events, to be replaced with Ball in Cup

SAN FRANCISCO – In a groundbreaking decision announced last week, the WCA has decided to stop recognizing Magic and Master Magic in official competitions. After extensive discussions with competition delegates, it was decided that these events are too difficult to judge properly and are too much trouble to hold. The recent regulation proposal requiring helmets on all Master Magic competitors has also been a logistical nightmare.

Magic enthusiasts need not despair however, as the WCA is considering the addition of an exciting new event to replace the popular plastic puzzle. “We have been testing the Ball in Cup as a competitive event for several years now,” explains WCA Board member Tyson Mao. “Not only is it easier to judge, it is an appropriate successor for the Magic events that preserves the mindless repetition of movement and absence of logical thinking integral to the Magic experience.”

Former delegate Dan Lo has spearheaded Ball in Cup testing since 2006 and currently holds the unofficial world record. “It’s more complicated than it looks,” he explains as he demonstrates the basic solve, placing a ping pong ball in a paper Dixie cup. “Especially when it gets fast.” His hands become a blur, hitting the timer a fraction of a second before the ball lands in the cup. This flourish of movement is his new method, he explains, capable of achieving the fastest times and promising that Ball in Cup can eventually be as exciting and competitive as Magic is currently.

“This is the best decision the WCA has made in a while,” says competition organizer Vincent Sheu. “Paper cups and ping pong balls are widely available, and we no longer have to deal with broken strings and jammed Magic panels.”

- carrot.cubing.net