• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Texas Speedcubing

A

andrewvo1324

Any Houston cubers?

I feel like there is, but there isnt =P

Well yea i looked through the WCA comps and dont see any in houston o_O

So yea i want go to competition one day.

d_sprink

Anyone out there in the Houston Area? At all? We need competitions of some sort. If they exist, then please invite me.

And if I made the mistake of putting this in the wrong place again, please just bump it. It's sort of annoying to see more than 3 replies about it.

Thank you!

Speedcuber023

We had a competition in Austin, Texas yesterday. I also know a guy named Aditya who's from Houston. I live in South Texas.

Rubikgenius

Hi d_sprink,

I am from the Houston area. I have started the Houston Cubing Association and you can join it if you want.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, so as most of you know, it seems Texas competitions are both in demand and produceable. So this will be a thread to discuss competitions, request information, and generally discuss all things Texas cubing (better here then in the Dallas thread). Alright so, first things first, I don't mind organizing competitions (and hopefully Anthony concurs) and Aditya Dargan and the Houston Cubing Association seem like they're ready to help out as well and the Houston Spring Open will be a good test run for them (still unsure as to whether or not it's WCA official but hopefully we'll be updated on that soon). One thing that all you Texas (and near Texas) cubers can do if you'd like to have a competition in your area is find a venue. The requirements for a venue are a little flexible, but you definitely need good lighting, a relatively large area (most of you saw the Toy Maven space was a bit cramped), and it needs to be affordable (max of about $400, but e-mail me [[email protected]] if it's a bit more and we'll see). School gymnasiums and libraries seem to work well with these requirements. A good starting point to this thread is to say how often you'd like competitions to happen and when. I'll do what I can to keep you guys happy, it keeps me happy :D .

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread actually happened before (I didn't know you back then, and I doubt you've seen the thread), but it got closed for other reasons. I don't see why this shouldn't work though. /begging

Now, to get down to business:

Dallas this summer yes/no? I can easily see that happening if the general consensus is to have one.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I made a similar thread a while back and it was closed.
Honestly though, I think this thread could potentially help us out a lot as there are at least 60 "Texas cubers" who remain largely out of touch.

Anyway, I'm all for more competitions, wherever they're held in Texas. As always, I'm willing to scramble (besides 5x5+) and help run the competition.
I'll be gone soon and I'm glad Texas competitions won't die out afterwards.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To specify: he's referring to college in the best state ever, not death. That's not to say there won't be a memorial service :3.

Texas cubers seems to pop up out of sand at random, so it's nice to see some grouping of who's who and what's what.

I think we need some kind of specification on what exactly the Texas Speedcubing Club is, because of different websites, logo changes, members, etc.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There isn't exactly a "Texas Speedcubing Club" and there really isn't need for one. We just need more people to step up an become part of our little "organizational team." That would help our comps run soooo much more smoothly.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys.
http://www.mcallenconventioncenter.net/planners/rates/meetingrooms.aspx

How do you think one of those will work as a venue?
NOTE:this is is just to see what the idea for pricing of a venue should be.

Sorry, but you kind of missed your opportunities to go to a competition in the Valley. :/ We're just too far south. I'd much prefer to travel a couple hours north to a competition with a bunch of people than go to one down here with only a few "real" cubers. Although, it was indeed quite a nice change to have those two South Texas competitions nearby, but that's from a selfish perspective.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this is an interesting idea. Why don't you guys post what part of Texas you live in and I'll add up the numbers and see where competitions are most convenient.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in Dallas, ThisIsWEB is in Dallas, William Boards is in Dallas, you're in Dallas, Justin, Brendon, The Creswells, A few others for sure from this past competition, that guy we met at B&N last year, my mom's coworker's daughter, Heiro's students, etc.

See? Perfect. Sarcasm was detected in several clauses above.

If there are times in the summer (or more specifically August) when you know you or others won't be able to make a competition, include that when you post your location.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If there are times in the summer (or more specifically August) when you know you or others won't be able to make a competition, include that when you post your location.

Wait, the Creswell's live in Dallas? Also, I'm gone for all of July (Finland) and also for Nationals (August 12-14). If I'm organizing it, it will happen either in late June or Late August.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Err, they're off to the northwest in Lewisville (google maps if you don't know), but they're kind of in the area.
July is no go for me as well, but I still vote for late June over late August. It's still almost 3 months off and during summer break, if that sounds reasonable to you.

Squadala

WCA
2011FRYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, the Creswells live right outside of Dallas. I believe they're actually in Carrollton, but they're in the Lewisville school district. I myself live in Lewisville though, and I have a few friends that would be able to go to a Dallas venue as well. It was only about 30 minutes away.