• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stickerless vs Stickered

Which do you use?

• Stickered

Votes: 73 44.0%
  • Stickerless

Votes: 93 56.0%

• Total voters
YouTube
channel/UC5mwwcwp7D_48f6oMd68uZg
I've been looking at some fast solvers and i seem to find mixed opinions.
I'm planning on buying a wuque, wondering what upsides and downsides there is, going with stickerless puzzles.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this, as i only have a single budget stickerless puzzle, yet i see fast cubers using stickerless on their big cubes.

Obviously there is a slight difference in grip with stickers and the shades are different, but i've been wondering if there is any difference in the performance and/or feel from stickerless to a stickered puzzles?
I have a Wuque stickerless as my main and I love it. The good thing about stickerless puzzles for big cubes is your don't have to sticker them which is a pain. The stickerless Wuque shades are awesome.

I like black plastic and stickered for most of my puzzles though.

WCA
2011MARE02
I know this forum has a weird obsession with minimizing thread counts but sometimes it's nice to see what people are using in May 2017 instead of what they were using in February 2015...

Now that you can use stickerless cubes in competitions, why do people still want, and why do companies still make stickered cubes. Stickerless are easier to maintain in many ways. Rubiks brand have stopped making stickered cubes. Do you think it will be a matter of time before other companies stop??

Is that a real word, stickered??

You don't get to choose your favourite shades with stickerless cubes, and some people are quite particular about what colours their cubes should have. Also, some people just prefer having a black/white/primary base.

(To some extent, you do get to customise a stickerless cube's colours, but that's usually by replacing some parts with parts from a black/primary/limited-edition cube. You effectively need to buy two cubes and unsticker one of them to get a "colour mod" like this, which isn't exactly cheap.)

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Ordway Persyn
I prefer the look of stickered cubes a little bit better, and some people dislike stickerless cubes (though I don't mind them).
As said above, stickered cubes allow for people to use their personal shades, which isn't a thing with stickerless cubes, at least right now. I have weird megaminx and pyraminx color schemes, and as a result I have a harder time recognizing the more normal megaminx shades, which are usually the stickerless shades ( I don't really have a good pyraminx without my color scheme on them so I don't know how I would do on the normal color scheme). I do use a stickerless 4x4, 5x5 and 7x7 as my mains.

WCA
2016BAIR04
I like the grip from the edges of the stickers on 3x3 and 4x4. I currently use a stickered 5x5, but I intend to change that. For some reason it seems like I catch stickers under my fingernails on the bigger cubes, and I'm not sure color scheme matters as much on bigger cubes. I'd still like to use black and pink instead of orange and red on bigger cubes, if I could get them in stickerless, but I'm not going to buy 2 Wujis just so I can replace one side.

WCA
2017ANDE05
The stickers add an extra amount of customizability to the puzzle that wouldn't otherwise exist. The shades on the stickerless puzzle might not be optimal for every person, so stickered cubes should stay. Stickers are just like the new GES springs on the GAN Air, meaning the puzzles that have these features are more compatible with more people's needs and preferences for better performance.

WCA
2016SCHU05
The shades are always strictly 'okay' or 'good' rather than exactly what I want, though that's my only functional reason.

For less-than-functional reasons, I just don't like the construction. Split-piece assembly always just seems to be a compromise to accommodate stickerless, it doesn't feel like the proper way a cube should go together. Though I guess that's more for caps than stickers.
I also don't like integrating something to the point where it can't be changed. I hate it when companies use non-removable batteries or solder down RAM in electronics, and I hate the UWP format and everything it stands for because it destroys the possibility of changing the files for games and programs. I know stickerless isn't really like those things in terms of design intention, but I still find the idea undesirable.

WCA
2016BAIR04
How so? Caps give easier access to the inside of the piece, don't they? They also let you have the pieces open without completely disassembling the cube.
On capped corners you would need to put 2 magnets in one piece, and on the inner slice of even-layered cubes you would need to put 2 magnets with opposite polarity next to each other. It's hard enough to put 2 magnets opposite each other. I have magnetized a capped cube, and it wasn't that hard, but it was a big sail, so there was plenty of room to work with.

WCA
2015AROR05
I prefer stickerless cubes only for mega, 6 and 7 because replacing stickers takes very long but for events like 2x2 and 3x3, I prefer stickered as in comps sometimes I start sweating so stickerless cubes really slip off my hands.

Tabe

YouTube
CoachTabeCubing
I think everyone's too picky with shades. My opinion is that the stickerless colors are perfect, no matter from which company. As long as I can distinguish green from blue, red from orange, and white from yellow, I'm :)
Well, you kinda said it right there - a lot of times there is no "red", it's an awful pink. And a lot of times the white and yellow are nearly identical.

Being 38 and around when the original craze. I like the nostalgia of a black cube with colors. Kinda like the feel and texture of stickers, plus i can get any shade of sticker that i like.