• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Solving the Rubik's Cube without Algorithms (Video)

When I was 14 my mom bought me my first Rubik's Cube and dared me to solve it without any algorithms or tutorials. It took me about a year and a half of twisting and turning to recognize patterns and I solved it. I really didn't use any algorithms, formulas or YouTube videos.
10 years later I can still solve it.
Is it common to solve the Rubik's Cube without algorithms?

Thanks!

Edit: Thank you for all the encouragement! As requested, I have uploaded a video of my solve.

So earlier today I posted a video of my solve that took 3.14. Yesterday when I recorded myself I was trying too hard to go fast and was very conscious of the time and that backfired on me.

Today I thought I would give it another try and just casually do it with my regular speed and logically think about each move and I did it in 1.16. (I'm surprised that I can do it in 1.16)

Here's the video of solving it in 1:16

Last edited:
When I was 14 my mom bought me my first Rubik's Cube and dared me to solve it without any algorithms or tutorials. It took me about a year and a half of twisting and turning to recognize patterns and I solved it. I really didn't use any algorithms, formulas or YouTube videos.
I can still solve it and my best record is under two minutes.

Thanks!

waaaaaaaaa! how?! without algorithms? without any tutorial it is so hard!

xyzzy

I really didn't use any algorithms, formulas or YouTube videos.
You probably did, but with algorithms you came up by yourself, which is much more impressive than just learning them off of someone else! Most people give up and take the easy route.

I remember it took me half an hour or something like that to solve a skewb when I first got one; I'd learnt how to solve most of my other puzzles from tutorials, so I wanted to try working out something on my own too.

And hey, welcome to the forums!

waaaaaaaaa! how?! without algorithms? without any tutorial it is so hard!
It's a lot of practice and random turns and twists to start recognizing patterns and positions. So I would essentially remember that if I twist it this way the cube position would be there... And after a year and a half I just solved it!

You probably did, but with algorithms you came up by yourself, which is much more impressive than just learning them off of someone else! Most people give up and take the easy route.

I remember it took me half an hour or something like that to solve a skewb when I first got one; I'd learnt how to solve most of my other puzzles from tutorials, so I wanted to try working out something on my own too.

And hey, welcome to the forums!
Yea I guess I'm using a algorithm I don't know. It's weird because I do it differently every time and I can't even explain how I do it... It just kinda happens and I can tell when I made a good or bad move.
When I solved it the first time I was scared to mix it up cause I wasn't absolute sure how I did it. Even now I can't conclusively tell how I solve it... I just do... It's weird.

And thanks! I'm happy to be a part of this forum!

Cody_Caston

WCA
2019CAST13
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a lot of practice and random turns and twists to start recognizing patterns and positions. So I would essentially remember that if I twist it this way the cube position would be there... And after a year and a half I just solved it!
I don’t think you get how impressive that is, most of us only tried to do that for like 1 day then realise we wont ever be able to do it without help then go to youtube

Yeah, I too wanted to try to really solve something after I knew the solution of 3x3. 4x4 was difficult (took me some months to find a way to solve parity lol) but very fun and clock was pretty easy (I solved it in half an hour). I'd like to try skewb as it seems interesting...

anyway, do you solve it at random Cutecubercucumber, or do you have a "method" i.e. do you solve first these pieces, set these other pieces here to do that ect. ?

Last edited:
I don’t think you get how impressive that is, most of us only tried to do that for like 1 day then realise we wont ever be able to do it without help then go to youtube
Thanks! It kinda became a hobby and I would just twist and turn it as I'm watching TV or bored on a car ride.

Honestly, the reason I ask if its common is because when my mom told me to solve it without any algorithms I thought it was a common thing and that's how people did it. But as a grew up I realized that it's not the case and people use algorithms. So I just wanted to come on this forum and ask.

SenorJuan

Back in the early 80's, I knew three people who successfully devised their own solution from scratch. But all of them ended up creating algorithms. An algorithm doesn't have to be anything complex - M U M' is all it takes to do something useful. And beginners solutions typically make heavy use of repetition, and combinations of two algorithms together, to achieve a goal. These then themselves become an algorithm. All three of them used a logical corners-first approach. When reaching the 'edges' stage, it's almost inevitable that you're going to use algorithms.
You've joined a fairly small club, I think. Even in the early days, there were 'cheat-sheets' circulating around schools, so it was easy to give in to temptation. Now with the internet it's even easier, so hats off to your perseverance.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great work. Most of us don’t have patience to figure it out ourselves and there’s some much info available in the digital age we all rush to the internet for tutorials (I originally used Dan Harris’ book when I was stuck on last layer trying to solve it intuitively).

I often enjoy trying to figure out new puzzles intuitively now, turning for hours and hours. Im confident I wouldn't have been able to come up with the 3x3 last layer solution intuitively at the beginning of my cubing endeavors.

Congrats!

EvanTheCuber

I can still solve it and my best record is under two minutes.

Thanks!
WHAT? you must be 400 IQ :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Great work. Most of us don’t have patience to figure it out ourselves and there’s some much info available in the digital age we all rush to the internet for tutorials (I originally used Dan Harris’ book when I was stuck on last layer trying to solve it intuitively).

I often enjoy trying to figure out new puzzles intuitively now, turning for hours and hours. Im confident I wouldn't have been able to come up with the 3x3 last layer solution intuitively at the beginning of my cubing endeavors.

Congrats!
Yea it's really enjoyable when you start noticing patterns and recognizing positions. Really keeps your mind going when you try to solve a puzzle intuitively.

Yeah, I too wanted to try to really solve something after I knew the solution of 3x3. 4x4 was difficult (took me some months to find a way to solve parity lol) but very fun and clock was pretty easy (I solved it in half an hour). I'd like to try skewb as it seems interesting...

anyway, do you solve it at random Cutecubercucumber, or do you have a "method" i.e. do you solve first these pieces, set these other pieces here to do that ect. ?

I have a basic "method" to start. So I start out by doing two sides and then it will form what I found out is called the "first layer". So my method is that no matter how I twist and turn the bottom/initial side have to stay completed. So whenever I turn it to move one piece to a certain position I'll also fix the bottom side to make it stay completed.

That's how I generally start it but after that I can't really explain because I recognize patterns and realize if I turn it this way this side will be like this and go on from there. I don't have a conclusive way... I just go by what "feels right" sorry it's kinda weird. Maybe I'll post a video of it.

dudefaceguy

Devising your own solution is uncommon, at least these days. Most people, like me, are just curious to learn about how the cube works, and don't want to spend lots of time deciding their own solution.

Congratulations on solving it yourself! I'd love to see your solution.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would love to see a video of you solving it! It is very rare to solve it without a tutorial.
Yeah, if you could record a solve or two I'm sure we could figure out whats going on and try and figure out what sort of processes you go through to solve it. That sounds really interesting to me.