• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should the 15 Puzzle be added as a WCA event? (no)

• Thread starter Deleted member 19792
  • Start date

Should the 15 puzzle be added as an event?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 19792

I don't think 15 puzzle is a good candidate for putting in the WCA.
- It has no connection to cubing, other than being a permutation puzzle that can be solved quickly. It is neither cubical, nor a twisty puzzle, nor something Rubik has his name on (although he has produced some variations).
- There are many 15 puzzles on the market, but I haven't heard if any mass-production brands that are known to be very good (suggesting the "community" of solvers needs more time to evolve).
- Although it is interesting to try to optimize the movecount, the puzzle itself is very easy to solve, and I would imagine that tps would be the most important limiting factor.

PS: The 6.6 video is obviously set up.

Mine? Those are random hand scrambles.. But the WR, tbh, is just someone practicing the same scramble over and over again.

There is a Rubiks 15. But that is a huge variation of 15 puzzle.

The one at Barnes and Noble is really really really good after some break in time. If you can't find it, you can find a plastic one online, which can be good sometimes.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think there is a history of added and removed events..
There is a niche for BLD 3BLD 4BLD 5BLD. This was sprouted out of interest. (My estimate is after Dan Sheppard "Of if you spell it that way" uploaded tutorials.

There was that niche for feet. People STILL like it

Then why don't we add a different kind of puzzle that is not as "Twisty" ?
It was very interesting to some people back then. The UWR is 6.6 seconds. My PB on cam was around 8 (I think)

I think the event should be added because of the popularity it kinda gained over the past few weeks. ANother reason is that you can dissect a method and make it waaaay faster.

I found around 20 cases for L8P today. It really helped me get quite a bit faster on the computer version xD

If you want to use the popularity argument, then Skewb should be added first, and the. 15 puzzle after about 3 years of people wanting it.

D

Deleted member 19792

If you want to use the popularity argument, then Skewb should be added first, and the. 15 puzzle after about 3 years of people wanting it.

I was going to add in about the order of events that should be added. Skewb would have def. been #1. Its alot of fun and you can dissect methods. (Ranzha xD)

D

Deleted member 19792

There are varied opinions. I am suggesting it should be added just because of the fun and simplicity behind it ;)

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like a harder magic.

Nope. It's nothing like magic. Magic requires no real strategy, just fast hands. 15 puzzle has method and strategy involved. I voted "yes" on the poll because I think it would be fun to do 15 puzzle in competition, but actually I should have voted "no" because it doesn't really fit with what WCA is about. For that matter, I don't even think clock should be a WCA event for similar reasons. It's only on there because it's a "Rubik's" puzzle. If 15 puzzle were made by Rubik's, it would be equally valid as clock to be an event IMO. Personally, I think WCA should stick with "twisty" puzzles. Clock is the only one that doesn't fit that description. But who am I? I'm not trying to get rid of clock as an event. I'm just saying.

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like how Ben always has the best logic, and gets all blame for it. Why the heck would we add 15 puzzle? It's not twisty and there aren't any good ones available. I don't see any reason for it over any of the other events that are constantly suggested.

Personally, I think we should add pyra BLD and gigaminx.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think we should have an event called 7x7 version 2, where we'd just have another round of 7x7. It's a niche thing because now there are two ways to have 7x7 at a competition. It's a twisty puzzle. 7x7 is getting popular and now people have a way to do it more.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. How is a 15 puzzle similar to clock?
2. 15 puzzle would be way more popular than clock if it were added.

Mods please change thread title please.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying that 15 puzzle would not be a good event. I just want to know why you think it is the event that should be added.

When it comes to solving but they are both easy puzzles to solve. It also doesn't have algs you need to learn just like clock. Have you ever seen clock algs?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Strakerak, you are not making any good arguments for the event, but merely asserting that you think it should be added. Furthermore you are insulting people who provide logical arguments against what you are saying. In addition (this is the worst part) half the things you say don't make any sense. I don't know if you're spouting random words or just not making any effort to articulate your points, but turning everyone against you would not be a good way to get anyone to agree with you, even if you had a better proposal.

When it comes to solving but they are both easy puzzles to solve. It also doesn't have algs you need to learn just like clock. Have you ever seen clock algs?

There are so many puzzles that fit this description. The comparison just isn't relevant.

Last edited:

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Strakerak, you are not making any good arguments for the event, but merely asserting that you think it should be added. Furthermore you are insulting people who provide logical arguments against what you are saying. In addition (this is the worst part) half the things you say don't make any sense. I don't know if you're spouting random words or just not making any effort to articulate your points, but turning everyone against you would not be a good way to get anyone to agree with you, even if you had a better proposal.

There are so many puzzles that fit this description. The comparison just isn't relevant.

All I am saying is that they are both puzzles so basic algs are completely nonexistent and pointlessand that's why the 15 puzzle shouldn't be added. Also how am I insulting people.

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's not so much you don't need need algs it's just they don't exist and are pointless. Clock is the only official event like this, where learning algs are pointless. The 15 puzzle shouldn't be official. A lot of puzzles may fit that description. I am just saying adding this is like adding another clock event but in stead the puzzle is a slide puzzle rather than whatever you want to call clock. They both don't need algs due to being a very basic puzzle

But that's such a loose connection. The puzzles are still vastly different. That's like saying Skewb shouldn't be added because it's movecount is similar to 2x2. Might as well remove feet because we already have an event that restricts what part of the body you can use. We should probably remove megaminx as well since you can use similar techniques as you do in 3x3.

Branflakeftw

Nope. It's nothing like magic. Magic requires no real strategy, just fast hands. 15 puzzle has method and strategy involved. I voted "yes" on the poll because I think it would be fun to do 15 puzzle in competition, but actually I should have voted "no" because it doesn't really fit with what WCA is about. For that matter, I don't even think clock should be a WCA event for similar reasons. It's only on there because it's a "Rubik's" puzzle. If 15 puzzle were made by Rubik's, it would be equally valid as clock to be an event IMO. Personally, I think WCA should stick with "twisty" puzzles. Clock is the only one that doesn't fit that description. But who am I? I'm not trying to get rid of clock as an event. I'm just saying.
I definitely agree. I LOVE solving the 15 puzzle.. but it doesn't generally fit in with twisty puzzles like other wca event puzzles do.. It has more logic and strategy than magic, and that was a wca event. And it seems somewhat like clock in its AMOUNT of strategic solving (they are definitely way different concepts). I think it would be a nice addition to competitions. So yes :) Please let me know if I am clearly wrong about something xD

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
But that's such a loose connection. The puzzles are still vastly different. That's like saying Skewb shouldn't be added because it's movecount is similar to 2x2. Might as well remove feet because we already have an event that restricts what part of the body you can use. We should probably remove megaminx as well since you can use similar techniques as you do in 3x3.

They are different. They may have loose connection but then again all you could find connections between any two puzzles.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They are different. They may have loose connection but then again all you could find connections between any two puzzles.

That's exactly what I'm saying. There are loose connections between all puzzles, so the loose connection you found between clock and 15 puzzle is not significant.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Clock and 15 are similar because you can just "move 1 piece without influencing others". Clock is slightly more difficult in this situation because pieces on the other side move. 15 Puzzle is slight more difficult because you cannot move every piece all the time. NEITHER are interesting puzzles.
If we would not have Clock now, we wouldn't add clock
We don't have 15 now, we will not add 15

Isn't everyone getting sick of all these "let's add/remove puzzle X"- threads?
Or are people really tired of the current events and all of these threads are a generic message to the WCA that they should "mix it up a little"?

Status
Not open for further replies.