• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should the 15 Puzzle be added as a WCA event? (no)

Should the 15 puzzle be added as an event?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
My other thread about this was a crudpost

Many people have been doing 15 puzzle lately, and being one of them that solved them for the last 5-6 years, I propose that we add it as a WCA event.

It is mainly like the Rubiks Clock (In terms of being a 2D puzzle), but, has a large amount of combinations. (16! - Parity cases)

This should be a fun and intuitive puzzle. Over the years, there have been many methods as well

LBL (Being the fastest for me)

Reduction/"Roux"/"ZZ" (This is what Ben1996123 would use. Solving the outer border, then solving the second row, then finding the LSP case. (Last Six Pieces)/(8puzzle)

BRICK : Solve 1 2 5 6 top left, top right 3 4 7 8, then do the same for bottom left and bottom right.

Post your opinion down below on whether you think this should be added as an event. Also, if you ask a question, I might edit this post to put an answer.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
'The World Cube Association governs competitions for all puzzles labelled as Rubik puzzles, and all other puzzles that are played by twisting the sides, so-called 'twisty puzzles'.'

Given that the 15 puzzle fits neither of these categories, I doubt the WCA would want it as an event... I agree that it is a fun puzzle, I just don't think this is the right place for it.

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
Though it is not catagorized as a twisty puzzle, it still has a way of being scrambled then solved. It is not as related to clock in terms of the challenge, but I dont' know. Maybe it can be a good and interesting event. Maybe it can expand puzzle theory?

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
xD I know. But its the purpose of the puzzle being in competition..

Pros :

Its a very easy puzzle to solve, although when you learn LSP cases, you can get really fast.
It can be solved optimally

Cons :

Not listed as a "Rubiks type twisty puzzle"

But was Megaminx made by Rubiks? Sorry

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sure, 15 puzzle is popular. However, it doesn't make sense for the WCA to add an event just because it's popular. A couple posts above:
'The World Cube Association governs competitions for all puzzles labelled as Rubik puzzles, and all other puzzles that are played by twisting the sides, so-called 'twisty puzzles'.'
this is why it can't happen.

Also, the thread title makes it seem like a statement, like 15 puzzle will be added. If that was done intentionally, well done. If not, you really should've chosen a better title xD

Owen

Clock isn't technically a twisty puzzle either, and I don't understand why we need to be so strict about the definition anyway.

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
Clock isn't technically a twisty puzzle either, and I don't understand why we need to be so strict about the definition anyway.

Obviously agreeable.

I think that any puzzle could be part of WCA. But it must be out of interest. Like Skewb. But Skewb is a twisty puzzle xD

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
But was Megaminx made by Rubiks? Sorry
Both mega and pyra fit under the category of 'all other twisty puzzles', so they fit the WCA description just fine :)

Definitions are, well, definite. If we can't go by that then what do we go by?

But it's still a twisty puzzle. The criteria is that puzzles be made by Rubik's or be twisty puzzles. According to the source that ryanj92 used (WCA guidelines?)

https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/about
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
I honestly think that the WCA should have that niche event. Clock was one of them, and I think 15 puzzle should be another. Just because Clock is not a 15 puzzle doesn't mean it should be removed.

A several amount of people were interested back then. Especially on YouTube.

You can search 15 puzzle strakerak and find my videos from 2010 xD.. They were anonymous user submitted challenges. Some of them were pretty easy.

It turned out to be a battle after that with another YouTube member xD.

But yes.

WCA should have that special event. If we were to add new events, here is the order I would add them in

Skewb
15 puzzle.

2 OH.

Also, you can do the 15 puzzle BLD.

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
Both mega and pyra fit under the category of 'all other twisty puzzles', so they fit the WCA description just fine :)

Definitions are, well, definite. If we can't go by that then what do we go by?

I know its a twisty puzzle. Im not trying to redefine it as one that is not. I was trying to see if it was originally created by Rubiks

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I honestly think that the WCA should have that niche event. Clock was one of them, and I think 15 puzzle should be another. Just because Clock is not a 15 puzzle doesn't mean it should be removed.

A several amount of people were interested back then. Especially on YouTube.

You can search 15 puzzle strakerak and find my videos from 2010 xD.. They were anonymous user submitted challenges. Some of them were pretty easy.

It turned out to be a battle after that with another YouTube member xD.

But yes.

WCA should have that special event. If we were to add new events, here is the order I would add them in

Skewb
15 puzzle.

2 OH.

Also, you can do the 15 puzzle BLD.

You just keep saying things without giving a reason.

WCA should have that special event? Why? Why should the WCA have an event that stands out from the rest?

Why is it important to have "that niche event"?

Why does it matter that you made some 15 puzzle videos 3 years ago? Everyone and their grandma has solved one of those.

Clock is a very neglected event so why add a event that is similar.

1. How is a 15 puzzle similar to clock?
2. 15 puzzle would be way more popular than clock if it were added.

Mods please change thread title please.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying that 15 puzzle would not be a good event. I just want to know why you think it is the event that should be added.

Last edited:

strakerak

YouTube
Visit Channel
You just keep saying things without giving a reason.

WCA should have that special event? Why? Why should the WCA have an event that stands out from the rest?

Why is it important to have "that niche event"?

Why does it matter that you made some 15 puzzle videos 3 years ago? Everyone and their grandma has solved one of those.

1. How is a 15 puzzle similar to clock?
2. 15 puzzle would be way more popular than clock if it were added.

Mods please change thread title please.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying that 15 puzzle would not be a good event. I just want to know why you think it is the event that should be added.

I don't think there is a history of added and removed events..
There is a niche for BLD 3BLD 4BLD 5BLD. This was sprouted out of interest. (My estimate is after Dan Sheppard "Of if you spell it that way" uploaded tutorials.

There was that niche for feet. People STILL like it

Then why don't we add a different kind of puzzle that is not as "Twisty" ?
It was very interesting to some people back then. The UWR is 6.6 seconds. My PB on cam was around 8 (I think)

I think the event should be added because of the popularity it kinda gained over the past few weeks. ANother reason is that you can dissect a method and make it waaaay faster.

I found around 20 cases for L8P today. It really helped me get quite a bit faster on the computer version xD

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think 15 puzzle is a good candidate for putting in the WCA.
- It has no connection to cubing, other than being a permutation puzzle that can be solved quickly. It is neither cubical, nor a twisty puzzle, nor something Rubik has his name on (although he has produced some variations).
- There are many 15 puzzles on the market, but I haven't heard if any mass-production brands that are known to be very good (suggesting the "community" of solvers needs more time to evolve).
- Although it is interesting to try to optimize the movecount, the puzzle itself is very easy to solve, and I would imagine that tps would be the most important limiting factor.

PS: The 6.6 video is obviously set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.