• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I learn CFOP, Roux or ZZ?

povlhp

I started in December 2020. Learned beginner, then shortly after beginner and faster at beginner. Then beginner OLL/PLL and F2L. All from J.Perm guides. I am by no means a master, but can use it and do use beginner F2L on big cubes.
when I could do this without problems I decided to try next step. I was around 1m40s.

Next step for me was Kians Roux tutorial. Not OLL/PLL. So I still do 2-look CMLL but really like Roux much better. The switch to Roux happened less than 6 weeks after I started.

I do many slow solves and still have Ao100 of timed solves just above 1 minute. PB 40s. And some between 40 and 50.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
No one tries out ZZ nowadays, as it is not the best method considering how flexible the 3x3 hardware has gotten, and all the risky and faster fingertricks with Roux and CFOP work well on the new cubes. I am method neutral since 2018 (so I use CFOP, Roux or 3-style in 3x3 2H speedsolve) according to scramble.

I have been lurking the Mehta discord for few months now, and it is a cool new method too. Otherwise I love Waterman variants too.
Lol nope.

Seeing as people are realising that ZZ is good, also the fact that there are a couple of people who are sub 8, relative to the small amount of cubers using ZZ, it's very successful. The "modern" ZZ approach is very optimised for current hardware. RULD spam, with S and F moves thrown in when needed, a more optimal use of algs (you get a much higher reward for learning ZBLL with ZZ than CFOP, you can also skip OLL more often, other things), the slightly lower movecount, all add up to give you a method that is well worth learning and is fast. Also, improvement is relatively easy with ZZ if you know what you're doing.

povlhp

I will repeat my mantra in this thread again!

Use what you find the most fun.
Yes, for me it was Roux. Way better than CFOP for me, as I do not love learning many algorithms.
I am trying to learn the T-case CMLL algos (my first set), and I can do most of them, but recognition time, picking the right algo and then apply it gives a long break, showing that the time I have dedicated to cube solving is at a level where the gain might be too small. For fast solve, I do 2 of the 6 cases and the rest I just use the default (one of the 2). I know more practive will help. It is not performing the algorithms, of course they can be faster, but the loooong pause that bothers me.

D

Deleted member 55877

I did, and I average 35.
ZZ isn't a bad method. When everyone compares CFOP vs ZZ, they use EOLine. If you compare CFOP vs ZZ with EOCross and ZBLL, you'll find that they're almost equal. IMO The only disadvantage of ZZ over CFOP is the usage of inspection.
Answering to OP: Try out all of them for a few weeks, then decide which one to use(ofc choose whichever is more fun to you)
How is ZZ-a with EOcross equal to CFOP? ZZ-a seems objectively better because it's way more efficient with equal lookahead and TPS

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
How is ZZ-a with EOcross equal to CFOP? ZZ-a seems objectively better because it's way more efficient with equal lookahead and TPS
To quote the author of the post, “they’re almost equal.” They never said they are equal. Also there’s not a lot of reason to continue discussion in this thread, so let’s all just agree to stop before it turns into another thread where people start debating methods again.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Imo what you say is mostly correct but CFOP has better usage of inspection whereas ZZ inspection is a bit worse.
One more thing about ZZ which I like is you can be very fast with only 28 algs(Radmac, for example). That being said, ZBLL is always better than OCLL-PLL.

Burrito

WCA
2022SOPK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been messing around with beginner's method for about a month now, and I want to get faster. I've heard of 3 major speedsolving methods while doing research: CFOP, ZZ, and Roux. I would like to know what would be the easiest to learn and I don't need to memorize that many algorithms. Thank you.
CFOP until average 30 sec then ZZ

Burrito

WCA
2022SOPK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Imo what you say is mostly correct but CFOP has better usage of inspection whereas ZZ inspection is a bit worse.
One more thing about ZZ which I like is you can be very fast with only 28 algs(Radmac, for example). That being said, ZBLL is always better than OCLL-PLL.
For Tymon's WR ao5, his ZBLLs were his worst solves because of recog

Then again, it is possible...